The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Best wine with Greek food?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Best wine with Greek food?

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:44 pm

People will be ordering, I assume, lamb, beef, chicken dishes. I'm guessing a nice Rhone or a balanced Ccalifornia Syrah would work? I've got some lighter modest 2004s from the rhone that might be fun.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Best wine with Greek food?

by Rahsaan » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:15 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:I'm guessing a nice Rhone or a balanced Ccalifornia Syrah would work?

Sounds good to me. Robust whites could work as well.

And don't forget that there are more and more Greek wines being imported to the US.
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 am

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:17 pm

Why not a nice Xynomavro? Or is there some sort of objection to Greek wine with Greek food that I should be aware of?

I've tried some very nice Greek wines recently, most of them white since the corner Greek joint specializes in fish. But I'm pretty sure there are some very decent reds to be had...
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:05 pm

No objections at all. But, where I live, the selection of Greek wines is somewhat limited. I'm going to Napa tomorrow, so...might look around at the better stores.

The restaurant in question is at the very casual end of the spectrum, and does not have much of anything on the wine list beyond "Supermarket" wines. Plus, I already have the Syrahs/Rhones and would like to drink them or try them. :twisted:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:18 pm

Tend to agree with Manuel. Just an old fashioned guy; ethnic wine with ethnic food, country by country. Unless you are locked in, give some Greek vino a shot.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:25 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Just an old fashioned guy; ethnic wine with ethnic food, country by country..

Perhaps. But if the restaurant is in Napa I'm wondering how old fashioned and "ethnic" it will be. It may very well put a strong CA-spin on the food (and perhaps all for the better, the restaurant is in CA which is a similar climate but different atmosphere) in which case the CA syrahs would be perfect..
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:41 pm

Not necessarily for bringing to a restaurant, but for great summer sipping, and one you should be able to find without too much effort, is Moschofilero (mos-koh-FEEL-er-oh).

It's a pretty inexpensive, light, bright white with some aromatic charm (the "moscho" makes it kin to the muscat, so that would give you a clue). Paterno brings one in, so that might be the easiest to find.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:30 pm

If you are eating Greek how about drinking Greek?
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 am

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:39 pm

With Hoke on Moschofilero. I've had three examples recently at my nearby Greek fish joint (Trata Estiatorio on 70th and 2nd Av., for those keeping notes) and enjoyed them very much. I've thought of them sort of as Torrontès, but lighter and without the glyceric burn. Very fresh, fragrant and pleasant.
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:43 pm

I am by no means an expert on Greek wines but have been impressed with what I have tasted so far. Highly recommend wines from Gervossiliou, Kir-Yiani, and Mercouri.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:12 pm

We always enjoy the Megapanos Savatiano when we go for tapas at Zaytinya's in DC, although looking at the notes on their menu it says that the grape "offers low acidity with grassy peachlike notes" so it may not be the best w/ food.

I think I'd probably opt for a middle of the road italian wine, something with nicely balanced acidity and tannins (which is what I always fall back on when in doubt!).

Have you had the dinner yet? Please be sure to post your notes once you do, I'm anxious to hear what you went with and how it turned out.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm

It is perhaps a dramatic over-simplification, but I tend to see Greek cuisine as pretty similar to the near eastern. Perhaps my favourite with NE cuisine is Albariño. Though Musar might be seen as the ideal answer, I find that the high alcohol of the red and the spices aren't a good combination. The white Musar isn't acidic enough IMO to cause enough refreshing qualities to the match. But maybe since NE is perhaps a touch spicier than Greek, Musar might work afterall?

Do report back on whatever you choose!

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Macdonald

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:03 pm

by Bob Macdonald » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:14 pm

LOL...Otto why am I not surprised that Musar came up? [smile]

I quite enjoy Greek wines with Greek food. Some have already been mentioned above.

I even enjoy restina. It cuts through the garlic and olive oil and besides I do not have to share it with my "significantly better half" who cannot abide it. [grin]
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:20 am

After perusing the cellar and realizing that many people would be ordering their stellar grilled chicken or lamb (I ordered a New York Steak) I brought a Merlot and a Portugese red that's basically tinto nacional.

2005 Monte da Pecaguina (Alletejo, Portugal) A nice purple wine. Somewhat reticent nose. Some juicy fruit flavors up front-lavendar? blueberry? some decent acidity. More than fruit here, though. Some savory notes underneath. Very nice wine-***

2001 Matanzas Creek "Jackson Park" Merlot. Inky black in the glass-this is Merlot? Not wimpy at all-somewhat thick and unctuouss. Very nice and complex;. Pierre Seillan was involed in this wine, and it shows. Doesn't taste like a California wine, with some savory and tobacco notes I enjoy. But- the richness and big fruit is definitely there. ****
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:49 am

Thanks for letting us know how things turned out, and also for starting an interesting thread. The wines sound luscious.