The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Peybonhomme-les-Tours Premières Côtes de Blaye Quintessence France

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2002 Peybonhomme-les-Tours Premières Côtes de Blaye Quintessence France

by Bob Ross » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:47 pm

2002 Peybonhomme-les-Tours Premières Côtes de Blaye Quintessence Bordeaux France. $13.99 at Chambers Street Wines. Importer not on label. 12.5% alcohol.

Deep red purple color, deep hue, lovely aroma of fruit, earth, chocolate and hints of mint, very good flavors of fruit, mint and earth, lovely smooth tannins, excellent balance, long lingering finish with excellent fruit, spice and earthen notes, a sense of purity and I was always aware that I was drinking Bordeaux -- somehow this wine captured the essence of Bordeaux for me. As Bablefish reports: "a small young fellow still", this wine developed beautifully over three hours in the glass on the first night, and still more during two hours on the second night. Amazing persistence of intense mint aroma in the empty glass -- 25 minutes or longer. Remarkable wine at this price point. Very highly recommended. Great QPR. 4*

Notes:

Website: http://www.la-grolet.com/version_htm_uk/vins_quint.htm

Winemaker: Quelle belle couleur, profonde, rouge foncé aux reflets noirs d'encre. Structure veloutée et aérienne, grande concentration et complexité en bouche. Un petit jeunot encore… En finale une touche de bois de cèdre (boite à cigares) encadre le tout. Seulement 10.000 bouteilles de ce petit joyau, 50% pour la France, 50% pour l'export (en particulier la Belgique et la Suisse). Un rapport qualité/prix/plaisir exceptionnel (environ Eur. 15,- prix public)

Bablefish: Which beautiful color, major, red dark with the black reflections of ink. Velvety and air structure, great concentration and complexity in mouth. A small young fellow still... Finally a wood key of cedar (limps with cigars) frames the whole. Only 10.000 bottles of this small jewel, 50% for France, 50% for export (in particular Belgium and Switzerland). A report/ratio to qualité/prix/plaisir exceptional (approximately Eur. 15, - public price)

Lyle Fass: Yes I know this is only a $14 bottle of wine but it needs at least a 6-12 hour decant. Mosty Merlot from the much maligned 2002 vintage this is a REAL Bordeaux here. No tricks here. Organic with dazzling purity, crunchy plummy fruit, some interesting chocolate notes and wonderful concentration along with great Bordeaux earthiness. From their oldest vines. Great value Bordeux that will improve for many years.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WTN: 2002 Peybonhomme-les-Tours Premières Côtes de Blaye Quintessence Fr

by Bob Ross » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:44 pm

Lyle Fass responded to my question about the lack of a distributor label as follows:

"We bring that wine in ourselves. Hard to find good unspoofulated Bordeaux in the market."
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

Re: WTN: 2002 Peybonhomme-les-Tours Premières Côtes de Blaye Quintessence France

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:15 pm

Sounds terrific. Thanks for the note.

Bob Ross wrote:Lyle Fass: Yes I know this is only a $14 bottle of wine but it needs at least a 6-12 hour decant.

So Bob, did you follow the decanting advice?
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WTN: 2002 Peybonhomme-les-Tours Premières Côtes de Blaye Quintessence Fr

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:42 pm

Decanting? What's that! :)

No, I didn't. I rarely decant wine -- I love following development in the glass. Since I quoted Lyle, I should have made that clearer.

Thanks for the question, Clinton.