The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Preserving an Opened Bottle of Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

If you don't own a "vacuum gadget", how do these test results influence a decision?:

I would no longer consider purchasing one.
75%
I would purchase a low-cost manual pump.
25%
I would purchase a high-end electric pump.
No votes

Total votes : 12
no avatar
User

Todd G

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:07 pm

Preserving an Opened Bottle of Wine

by Todd G » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:17 am

In June, I posted a summary description of tests I was conducting to determine the best low cost way to maximize the time period an opened bottle of wine can be held and enjoyed at a later date:
http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?t=8618&highlight=

The results are in, and can be found here:
http://www.hdlenhancement.com/Main/WinePreservationTest.php

Some of the comments to my June posting correctly predicted the results, but there were a few twists.

Cheers!
Todd Greeno
http://www.HDLEnhancement.com/
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

Re: Preserving an Opened Bottle of Wine

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:36 pm

KUDOS ... very nicely done. :D

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:14 pm

Todd
Very professionally planned and reported.

One of the accusations I've seen levelled at vacuum pumps, is that they can 'scalp' a wine, losing some of the more subtle nuances. I didn't see any evidence of this in your write up, though I'm happy to be corrected if I've skim read too quickly.

The point about the vacuum pumps reducing, but not removing the oxygen sounds valid, though from the days I used to use a simple one, I did note that it did manage to 'extract' dissolved wine in the oxygen (following decanting into another bottle) - in some cases quite dramatically, with a bead (not disimilar to champagne) coming up during the pumping. The issue of dissolved oxygen caused by decanting into the spare 1/2 (or cruet), seems to be the only drawback of this approach - but not enough of a drawback it would seem.

Anyway, many thanks for this - very impressive

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:53 pm

Yes, Thanks Todd. I enjoyed reading your piece. Maybe next time you could consider wine under screwcap as well. Where I come from, many of the wines have screwcap closures and I find they keep quite well for a few days after a small portion has been consumed. In fact, I don't use my vacuum pump any more.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:01 pm

Hi Todd,
Very impressive, and nicely done.

Salute
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:02 pm

You did a very nice and well-controlled study.

Of the inferior methods for wine preservation.

The best method of all is a nitrogen dispenser. After first uncorking the bottle, you insert a stopper/dispenser. Before screwing it down into the neck of the bottle, you let nitrogen bleed into the ullage space for about 10 seconds to displace any remaining oxygen-laden air. You then disconnect the stopper/dispenser from the nitrogen tank and screw it down to form a seal. Then you connect the nitrogen supply again and use the stopper/dispenser to pour out the wine.

Using this method, the wine stays fresh indefinitely. I've left a half-full bottle for a three-week vacation, and come back to find it as fresh as when it was first uncorked.

If you use one of the commercial-style nitrogen tanks, there is also no disposable element involved. When it's empty, you just bring the tank back to your local commercial gas supplier to be refilled or exchanged for a full one.

There IS a disposable element involved if you use the smaller nitrogen canisters aimed at the wine enthusiast market. The initial outlay for a small commercial nitrogen tank is greater than the cost of a disposable canister, but the refill cost for the commercial tank is less, so the break-even point occurs after several refills.

Now I'll be the first to admit that this is also the most expensive of the various wine preservation alternatives. But it also works the best--and doesn't involve expendables.

As to the all the vacuum systems, IMO, compared to a nitrogen dispenser, they suck. :wink:

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:04 am

Nicely done and the results are logical if you realize oxygen is the enemy and that the pump is mainly a marketing tool. I frequently use the 375 bottle and used to keep clean marbles around to fill up a 750 and get rid of "excess oxygen space". The marbles were too much trouble but in my limited experience worked as well as a 375. It is not uncommon to have some wine left but another interesting poll would be how many people actually save wine for more than 2 days?
Walt
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:21 am

We agree that the test is first rate. Also agree with Walt both in the method of preservation (we use a dark screwtop 375 ml), and the observation about preserving for more than two days!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:26 am

Great report, Todd ... piling on with applause.

One nit to pick with the poll options, though: I would have liked the option "No influence, my mind was already made up." Without scientific rigor but based on considerable anecdotal evidence, I wouldn't have bought one even without the benefit of your research. I won't go to the extent of rating them at the same scam level as magnetic and other cosmic wine "enhancers/agers," but I don't believe they show any real benefit over simply recorking the bottle and refrigerating it.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:46 pm

i note that all the samples are red wines. i know this might sound odd; but my latest method for keeping white wine is to put the bottle in the refig - without any closure at all. it seems to me to do better than treating in in any way - including resealing even with a screw cap.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Todd G

Rank

Cellar rat

by Todd G » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:13 pm

The test stated that we would not include any inert gas systems in this review...
If you use one of the commercial-style nitrogen tanks, there is also no disposable element involved. When it's empty, you just bring the tank back to your local commercial gas supplier to be refilled or exchanged for a full one.

This is not very practical for anyone living in a New York City apartment. Also given that the 90 point wine only slipped to 88 points when left undisturbed in the WFL cruet for 8 days, I'm not sure either Nitrogen system is worth the hassle or complications.

I prefer to consume the wine right away, anyway 8)

Thanks for weighing-in as every opinion is important.

Cheers!
Todd
no avatar
User

Todd G

Rank

Cellar rat

by Todd G » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:19 pm

Right!...
i note that all the samples are red wines. i know this might sound odd; but my latest method for keeping white wine is to put the bottle in the refig - without any closure at all. it seems to me to do better than treating in in any way - including resealing even with a screw cap.

I use the same process for white wines, and keep the small bottles (with a cork) in the refrig -- While I haven't done the scientific analysis with the whites (yet), my recollection is that I have kept wine for almost two weeks this way -- this has been infrequent, mind you, because I will generally finish the opened bottles within a few days. :shock:

Cheers!
Todd
no avatar
User

Bob Macdonald

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:03 pm

by Bob Macdonald » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:05 pm

Quite a number of years ago I was thinking about buying one of the "pump systems" so I inquired of a local restauranter about what system would work best:

He began to respond seriously and then paused...smiled...and too correctly observed, "Macdonald, when is the last time you opened a bottle of wine that you did not finish?"

Point, Set, Match!!