The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Netscape Forum Poll: How helpful is your local wine shop?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Netscape Forum Poll: How helpful is your local wine shop?

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:49 am

Can you rely on the staff at your local wine shop to advise you intelligently, or do you duck out of sight when you see them coming to avoid being touted to the wine they're trying to dump this week? Rate your local in this week's CompuServe/Netscape forum poll, and then take a moment to tell us about your local retailers and how they stack up.

<b>Click here to vote</b>!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Netscape Forum Poll: How helpful is your local wine shop?

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:11 am

I voted for "Some" even though I think you mean somewhat, and I really mean sometime. It depends a lot on who is standing behind the counter or working the floor.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:27 am

I voted "Limited" because I defined "local" as meaning the local WineStyles. Limited, because the owners are kinda sorta newbies in the business. However, they have surprised me and turned me onto some good wines.

There are other wine shops in the Northern California region which I would rank quite highly-Arlington Wines in Kensigton, CA (north of Berkeley)-a small neighborhood style shop ran by Bordeaux-lovers, Back Room Wines in Napa-great California wine tastings, and good Rhones.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:42 am

Nice to see that, at this point, 6 for excellent, and only 5 for good or below. That says good things about the wine shops we frequent. I went with excellent for mine, because the owner knows my tastes, alerts me to wines that he thinks I will like, never pushes a wine just because it has a bigger markup, takes corked wines back without an argument for either another bottle of same or credit to something else, and is fun to talk wine with.
-OW
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:02 pm

I voted "good" as an average score of the local shops. One is excellent, one is good and one is basically hit or miss. Overall average is good.

Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:12 pm

I voted "some" as my favorite local shop has only a few people who can actually help me. Most look at me like I am an alien when I ask something like "Have you tried the Morey St. Denis Vieilles Vignes?"
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:14 pm

Hmmm.... rating my wine shop strikes me as about as useful as rating the wines that I drink :wink: The only local wine store that I'll deal with has decent storage and has the best selection in town, hands down. However, their pricing is high and they view the Wine Spectator as the ne plus ultra of wine information. The manager is in love with Italian wines, but focuses on low end, commercial bottlings with a few trophy wines thrown in. So, are they good, poor or better? I dunno.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:26 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:There are other wine shops in the Northern California region which I would rank quite highly-Arlington Wines in Kensigton, CA (north of Berkeley)-a small neighborhood style shop ran by Bordeaux-lovers, Back Room Wines in Napa-great California wine tastings, and good Rhones.

Ha! Arlington Wines is certainly in my old stomping ground. They used to have a second site in downtown Berkeley (Trumpetvine Wines) that went away about 20 years ago (assuming no ownership change in the interim). IIRC, they also sell private cellars on consignment, which makes for some interesting wines. When I'm back in the area, though, I tend to prowl the aisles of Kermit Lynch, Vino! and Solano Cellars in search of treasures.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:32 pm

There is a shop in Hainesport, NJ (Canal's) that I really like. Good (not great) storage, but the manager is a real wine lover & a good friend. Very strong in Italians, Germans, Champagne & has some hard to find items to boot.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:32 pm

My system blocks me from taking the Netscope Poll, but I'd have to say it's pretty hit or miss at any of the usual places I go. I've had great service by enthusiastic people who seem to really take into account what I'm looking for before making recommendations, but if those certain people aren't there it can be rather frustrating just trying to find someone to ask a question of. I don't know if it's appropriate to name names, so I won't, but there are one or two places that obviously just try to sell you the highest price they can get you to pay, and whose recommendations have never been particularly to my liking.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:34 pm

We have an excellent wine shop in Gig Harbor (called Water to Wine), offering a broad selection from Bargains to Big Bucks. The co-owners have diferent areas of interest, which complement each other well. They both know the kinds of wine I like to drink, and regularly point me to new ones of interest. I buy with confidence from them, even when it is the latest $8 bottle of South African Chenin Blanc, because I know these folks keep the low quality stuff out of their store. They sponsor very popular free tastings on Friday afternoon, featuring a specific winery or style, and they schedule reservation-only tastings that are very infomative and paired with nice food selections. They will also do private tastings for a reasonable fee.

I have referred many people to them, and have never received negative feedback.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:53 pm

We have only a couple wine shops locally (and wine in the grocery stores as well). I do most of my purchasing in Raleigh at Carolina Wine Company and sometimes at Total Wines, or The Wine Merchant. CWC has a 55-degree warehouse which is important in NC. CWC does tend to focus on Burgundy, Australia, Italy and is less well stocked on California and Oregon wines, Germany, Alsace and other areas. That leads me to sometimes order from mailing lists or purchase from DC shops when I am in that area. I would give CWC excellent in the areas where they focus but that is not really local (about 70 minutes away).
no avatar
User

D Honig

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:57 pm

Indianapolis, IN

by D Honig » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:55 pm

I voted "Excellent" for my shop here in Carmel, Indiana. The wine guy there is terrific. He is as good at recommending a drinkable wine for under $10 as he is finding the perfect "price doesn't matter" bottle in the "good" room.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:03 pm

I've learned to be wary of the shelf talkers at my local Vintages corner that scream 'WOW! Manager's Pick' or something like that, because I've been disappointed with a couple of bottles bought that way. Invariably the wines were searingly imbalanced 2003s from Europe (one French, the other Austrian). In any case, since tastes and expectations vary so widely among individuals, I usually go the safe route and take a chance based on my own prior reading and, occasionally, experience.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:08 pm

D Honig wrote:I voted "Excellent" for my shop here in Carmel, Indiana. The wine guy there is terrific. He is as good at recommending a drinkable wine for under $10 as he is finding the perfect "price doesn't matter" bottle in the "good" room.

I assume that you're talking about Kahn's? If not, I'd love to know what place you are talking about, either here or by PM.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:14 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
D Honig wrote:I voted "Excellent" for my shop here in Carmel, Indiana. The wine guy there is terrific. He is as good at recommending a drinkable wine for under $10 as he is finding the perfect "price doesn't matter" bottle in the "good" room.

I assume that you're talking about Kahn's? If not, I'd love to know what place you are talking about, either here or by PM.

Mark Lipton

Mark,
I know, I know...
:lol: 'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:18 pm

Redwinger wrote:Mark,
I know, I know...
:lol: 'Winger

OK, consider the offer extended to you too, Bill. :wink:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Noland

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Chardon, Ohio

by Bob Noland » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:54 pm

I voted excellent for my shop here in Chesterland, Ohio. I am a sucker for excellent customer service and the wine knowledge is exceptional. However I would say this is the exception, not the rule from the other shops I have visited.
To do is to be. - Socrates
To be is to do. - Jean-Paul Sartre, Plato
Do-be-do-be-do. Frank Sinatra
no avatar
User

Art Morris

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:53 am

West Virginia

by Art Morris » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:13 pm

I voted excellent. I live in a small city in a small state (we only have 2 local wine shops, other than grocery stores and gas stations :roll: ) Fortunately, BOTH local shops have a wonderful selection as well as expertise. The young lady who owns one of the shops happens to have a palette nearly identical to mine. Everything she recommends to me is spot-on. Over the past couple of years, we've actually become close friends. Our love of wine and similar outlook on life has formed a bond.

CHEERS!

ART
We're not here for a long time,
we're here for a GOOD time !
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:58 am

I like Solano Cellars quite a bit. They have a second shop now in the Gourmet Ghetto off Shattuck nicely housed in an old necolassical water pumping station. Cool shop with unique wines, everything under $25.00.

I also like Wine Garage in Calistoga and, at the other price end, Tuco's Wine Bar and (excellent!) restaurant near the train station in Davis. (I had a nice Zenato ripasso tonight with his fantastic cheese plate-can't think of a better light supper for $5) He let me try a sip of an outstanding dry, structured, cedary and yummy Merlot-Plumpjack!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:25 am

Living where I do in Northern New Jersey, there really only one way not to answer "Excellent" -- define "local" as less than a mile away.

And even that one is awfully good -- excellent wine bar with many different wines on offer and a wide range of wines, and happy to order anything they don't have.

Prices tend to be a little high -- but everything else is great.

I still consider NYC "local" so there are many "Excellent" choices here.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:27 am

Brian K Miller wrote:I like Solano Cellars quite a bit. They have a second shop now in the Gourmet Ghetto off Shattuck nicely housed in an old necolassical water pumping station. Cool shop with unique wines, everything under $25.00.

Aha! I didn't realize that there was a connection. I've been there once and was very impressed with the selection. IIRC, I saw a Louis/Dressner selection there (maybe the Pepiere Muscadet), which is something of a rarity in Berkeley. I've been shopping at Solano Cellars since the days when Bill Easton ran it (late '80s) but under its current ownership I've been a bit disappointed in its selection. Still, I only get there about 1-2 times per year, so I can't claim any great insight.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:58 am

Mark Lipton wrote:I've been shopping at Solano Cellars since the days when Bill Easton ran it (late '80s) but under its current ownership I've been a bit disappointed in its selection. Still, I only get there about 1-2 times per year, so I can't claim any great insight.

Mark Lipton

I think ownership changed recently (past two/three years). When the owners opened Vintage Berkeley they also bought Solano Cellars and may have needed some time to work through the old inventory but supposedly viewed it as a place to stock some higher-end wines, since VB was supposed to be all below $25.

I haven't followed very closely either, but there are so many other places to buy wine that I agree SC doesn't become very compelling.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:36 am

I could add that I have been lucky to frequent some well-developed wine markets (Bay Area, Nyc, London, Paris) so all the shops I visit regularly are relatively helpful.

When I visit my mother in Ithaca I definitely find them less helpful on average.

But, one big difference that makes me miss Paris (and France in general) is the lack of connection to the wines among the staff in England or the US. In the French shops I frequent the staff are more likely to have tasted all of the bottles recently, have spoken with the winemaker recently, and furthermore visited the winery recently, which gives them a more contextual feel for the bottles in the shop. Unfortunately many of the shops in England and the US rely on hired people who don't know much about wine, and even if they do it's difficult to get on the phone and ask the winemaker a question, because they're so many time zones away.

That, and the fact that all the wine shops I frequent in Paris seem to enjoy a more leisurely pace of business where you can stand around and chat for 2 hours before buying anything.

But, I live where I live.

So..
Next