The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Edmunds St. John 2006 "Bone-Jolly" El Dorado County Witters Vineyard.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: Edmunds St. John 2006 "Bone-Jolly" El Dorado County Witters Vineyard.

by Bob Ross » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:16 pm

Edmunds St. John 2006 "Bone-Jolly" El Dorado County Witters Vineyard Gamay Noir Rosé California. 13.2% alcohol. 100% Gamay. $16.00 at Wine Cellars, Ridgewood.

Pretty pink color, clear hue, lovely strawberry aromas with hints of flowers and minerals, very good citrus and red fruit and berry flavors, bright acidity, long finish with minerals, flowers, fruit and a bit of tannic bite. An excellent wine for a roasted vegetable wrap on a very hot summer evening, when we thought it was too hot to eat. Steve's wine proved us both wrong. Delicious! 4*

Notes:

Winemaker's Notes:

VINEYARD SOURCE: Witters Vineyard, at 3400' elevation, above Camino, in El Dorado County, planted, at my instigation, by Ron Mansfield, who also farms Wylie and Fenaughty vineyards for us. The elevation, the slope to the north, and the volcanic clay-loam soil all work together to produce grapes that will ripen fairly slowly, which is critical for the development of perfume and finesse.

On the 2006 vintage: It's a pretty, vibrant pink-red, with an edge of blue. it's got a fresh, bright nose, slightly grapey. You might smell wild strawberry, a little woodsmoke, a little pepper. Nervous and wild in the mouth, with great focus, and electric tension between sweetness of fruit and snappy acidity. Juicy, and long. [More on the history of the wine at http://www.edmundsstjohn.com/TheNewslet ... ans73.html

Robin Garr: Clear and very attractive pink-rose color. Fresh strawberry and delicate floral scent; ripe strawberry flavor, dry and crisp, wrapped up with mouth-watering acidity. A wisp of tannic astringency becomes evident in the finish as the wine warms in the glass. Simply put, this is one of the most enjoyable rosés I've ever tasted.

Stephen Tanzer/Josh Reynolds: "Bright pink. Fresh strawberry and orange zest aromas show bright mineral lift. Crisp and energetic, with clean citrus and red berry flavors and a long, brisk finish. This is way too easy to drink."
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Edmunds St. John 2006 "Bone-Jolly" El Dorado County Witters Vineyard.

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:57 am

Nice note Bob. I opened one of these last night & posted some notes in Wine Focus. It is too easy to drink.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:38 am

I've read several nice notes on this (including yours Bob) but I'm having a tough time finding anyone in DC that carries it.

Question regarding the tannic bite: Last night I had another rosé (can't recall what it was) and it had a strange aspiriny finish. The wine didn't seem flawed otherwise, and I'm wondering if this sensation might be chalked up to the tannins? My experience w/ rosé is pretty limited so I don't know if this is common.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WTN: Edmunds St. John 2006 "Bone-Jolly" El Dorado County Witters Vineyar

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:49 am

I don't see a DC or a MD retailer on Wine Searcher Pro, but http://www.finewine.com/ has it in McClean and perhaps other outlets.

I haven't experienced the aspirin taste -- hopefully someone will chime in here.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:52 am

Thanks for the link, Bob. I'll run out there this weekend...

Bummer - I called and they're sold out. Which is what I'm finding at most of the oulets around here. Speaks volumes about the wine though!! Now I'm on a mission :twisted:
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:14 am

That is a bummer. Steve often audits here, and he may be able to help.

You can reach him at info@EdmundsStJohn.com and I've found him very helpful in searching out his wines.

His website gives:

District of Columbia
Potomac Selections
(703) 751-9416

Hope this helps in the quest; like a number of other ESJ wines, this one is worth searching out.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:25 am

Again, Bob - thanks! I contacted Potomac who put me in touch w/ someone near me that they do business with. They didn't have it in stock but they're ordering three bottles for delivery tomorrow to put aside for me. The price was a bit more than what I'm seeing elsewhere, $19, but I'm psyched to try it so I'm willing.

I appreciate your help!!!
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:30 am

On the aspirin finish on the other rose' wine, that's probably more a feature of the acidity than the tannins. In a demonstration put on by a wine educator from Robert Mondavi, as a wine received more acid, it began to taste very aspirin-like. Acetylsalicylic acid is more commonly known as aspirin.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:31 am

That's great -- I see prices all over the place -- Robin paid $18 I think, and a store near here was advertising it as a "special" for $22.

Love to read what you think of this wine.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:36 am

The problem with Steve's wines is that they fly off the shelves. Trying to find them in the DC area is like tring to find the proverbial needle in a haystack. The best selection and most reliable source in the area is at the Wine Source up in Baltimore. The Wine Specialsit in DC carries ESJ wines, but they're NEVER in stock. The same is true with Iron Bridge in Columbia, MD. Let me know if you score another reliable source.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:51 am

James Roscoe wrote:The problem with Steve's wines is that they fly off the shelves.

Perhaps a problem for you...I rather suspect that Steve is happy about it. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:00 pm

JC (NC) wrote:On the aspirin finish on the other rose' wine, that's probably more a feature of the acidity than the tannins. In a demonstration put on by a wine educator from Robert Mondavi, as a wine received more acid, it began to taste very aspirin-like. Acetylsalicylic acid is more commonly known as aspirin.

JC - well that certainly would explain it! Thanks.

James - Scott at Potomac Selections says he's got 82 bottles of this stuff. Not sure why they're not distributing it to any retailers, or why the retailers aren't ordering more of it. Joe Riley at Ace Beverage on New Mexico Ave (202-966-4444) is ordering the three bottles for me.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:07 pm

'The problem with Steve's wines is that they fly off the shelves."

My impression is a little different based on my experience in this area of Northern New Jersey and to an extent in NYC. Retailers tell me they stock ESJ wines but that they rarely sell off the shelf.

And, there are often remarkable discounts available -- the 2002 Shadow was on sale for $6.50 a bottle three weeks ago at a shop in our area; a month earlier I bought a case at $8.00 a bottle.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:09 pm

"On the aspirin finish on the other rose' wine, that's probably more a feature of the acidity than the tannins."

Thank you Jane for a very interesting bit of wine knowledge. Like so many things in this hobby, I didn't know that.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:26 pm

I used to be a retailer, ages ago, and I actually sold wine. Retailers these days seem to be too busy for that, most of the time. I feel like a wanderer from another planet. I don't think any ESJ wines fly off the shelves, either, and, of course it's frustrating, especially seeing how much people seem to enjoy them when they taste them.
If somebody's selling the Shadow for $6, they should never have bought it. (Maybe they stole it?)
cheers
Steve
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:05 pm

Every retailer I go to that stocks Steves reds can't keep them on the shelf. I was at Iron Bridge on Sunday and asked for the reds and it was a no-go. They were out and didn't know when they could get more. I am not up there enough to order.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:21 pm

Alizarin crimson.

I worked a late shift last night, and when I got home my wife had a chilled glass of the Bone Jolly waiting for me. What a pretty color. I thought translucent ruby, somewhat darker than pink.

My wife, the artistic talent in the Davis family, corrected me. The color is Alizarin Crimson. A tube of oil paint was produced, smeared on some paper, and was a match to what was in the glass.

Tasty wine, beautiful color. My last bottle...sigh.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Jim Vandegriff

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:33 am

Trinidad, CA

by Jim Vandegriff » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:13 pm

For those reachable from California retailers, I just ordered and received some '06 Bone Jolly through K&L wines (klwines.com) this week. I'll be opening it this week with my friend Margaret whose father Larry Moss introduced me to ESJ wines (and a big thanks to him for that!) All the best, Jim
in Trinidad, CA, by the sea
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:22 pm

James, would one or another store hold some wines for you if you prepaid? I shop in a store in Northern Ky several times per year, and often a wine I know they have that is a very good buy, I call them and ask them to hold a case for me. They have held as few as 2 bottles. Of course the general manager knows me so I don't know if he would do it for everybody. I suspect he would for at least some set length of time. Might be worth a try.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:54 pm

My last bottle...sigh

Get some more, man! It's not too late! :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:17 pm

"Alizarin crimson"

Thanks for adding to my vocabulary Mark -- I knew madden but not Alizarin. The OED thinks it comes from Arabic from the word for "expressed" or "extracted".

I'm going to buy another bottle -- mostly to drink -- but I didn't pick up the yellow tones that are supposed to be in Alizarin crimson.

Regards, Bob