The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Montes Alpha M Apalta Valley Colchagua Chile.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2000 Montes Alpha M Apalta Valley Colchagua Chile.

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:34 pm

2000 Montes Alpha M Apalta Valley Colchagua Chile. 14% alcohol. $12 a glass at Napa Valley Grill. Cabernet Sauvignon 80% + Cabernet Franc 10% + Merlot 5% and Petit Verdot 5%. $55. This winery was formed by four partners; according to the label, the "montes" is a solid granite mountain covered with native oak trees.

Deep red color; light hue; very good fruit and spice aroma; intense berry taste with black pepper and herb notes; mild tannins; medium mouth feel; relatively short finish, but very pleasant, with an overall impression of elegance and excitement. A very nice wine drinking very well now. I'm not sure, but a few more years may add a bit of complexity. 4*.

This wine was a great match with the Grille's version of Mac and Cheese with a side of roasted vegetables.

Ingredients:
2 white onions- small dice
1 TBS butter
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup whole milk or cream
1/4 cup parmesan-grated
1/4 cup orange cheddar-grated
1 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
white pepper to taste
Worcestershire sauce to taste

Preparation:

Sweat onions in butter until tender. Dust onions with flour and simmer for 8 minutes. Deglaze with white wine and whisk thoroughly. Add heavy cream and milk to the mixture stirring continuously until the flour is incorporated. Cook for 25 minutes. Add parmesan, orange cheddar and turmeric. Whisk until cheese has completely incorporated. Adjust seasonings with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.

Mix with blanched ditalini pasta then place in a brulee dish and cover with goat cheese and some more parmesan. Bake until the crust is nicely browned, about five minutes.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: 2000 Montes Alpha M Apalta Valley Colchagua Chile.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:10 pm

Bob Ross wrote:2000 Montes Alpha M Apalta Valley Colchagua Chile. 14% alcohol. $12 a glass at Napa Valley Grill. Cabernet Sauvignon 80% + Cabernet Franc 10% + Merlot 5% and Petit Verdot 5%. $55. <truncated>

This wine was a great match with the Grille's version of Mac and Cheese with a side of roasted vegetables.

Bob, I am guessing that the Grille of which you speak is a destination type of eatery? From the sound of this recipe it is one I would like very much, if I wouldn't have to rob a bank to afford it. $12 for the Montes Alpha M is not a bad price at all. The M sells here for about $80 per 750ml.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WTN: 2000 Montes Alpha M Apalta Valley Colchagua Chile.

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:17 pm

Bob, the Napa Valley Grille has six restaurants around the country; link at http://www.napavalleygrille.com/

They have a very nice wine policy, normally only Californian, but a couple of bottles of this upscale Chilean wine was delivered by their distributor in error, and they were running a special, selling it by the glass at very close to their cost.

They have six to eight wine tasting menus with three two ounce pours for $8 to $12 a round. The offerings are pretty nice, but they really need to improve storage -- we dine there every couple of weeks, and they always open new bottles of whatever we order. :)

It surprises me that they don't take better care of opened bottles when the wine program is as good as it is.

Regards, Bob