The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines with food

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Wines with food

by Florida Jim » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:41 pm

First: a salad of arugula, manchego, walnuts and figs
2005 J.J. Christoffel, Riesling Kabinett Erdener Treppchen:
Sweeter than many kabinetts, this still has plenty of stony backbone and acidic cut with fresh and lively white fruit and floral aromas and flavors. 9% alcohol, imported by Skurnik, screw cap, price unknown – thanks Bill.
The sweetness in this wine matched well with the figs and contrasted with the cheese and nuts; a good match.

Second: pasta with a puréed sauce of almonds, fresh tomatoes, fresh basil and garlic
2001 Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba:
Started out a bit angry with some shrillness to the acidity and little fruit; after about an hour all was forgiven as this became a mini-Barbaresco at peak. Needs a little time in the cellar or the decanter but opens to be much more than the label says. 13% alcohol, imported by Locasio and about $20 on release; I’d buy it again.
Perfect with the dish as the acid cut the richness of the nut purée and the flavors were not so powerful as to overwhelm the freshness of the tomatoes and basil.

Also tried with the second course:
1998 Lafarge, Bourgogne:
Cocoa powder and plum nose; round and full in the mouth with sour cherry flavors added to the elements of the nose and an obvious tannic presence that does not dry; long, fruit-filled finish. A year ago this was what so many said about the 1998 vintage in Burgundy; tannic and closed. Today it is reborn to round, dense fruit, no drying or harsh tones and a lovely finesse that just wasn’t there in the past. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Chelsea Ventures and about $15 on sale; I’d buy it again.
Very good with the dish; the medium weight delivery matched the texture of the pasta and the nutty flavors in the sauce seemed to come alive against the cocoa/fruit flavors of the wine.

Diane and I agreed that both wines were well matched to the dish but preferred the nebbiolo somewhat over the Burgundy. We also agreed that both wines were of high quality and we look forward to tasting them in the future (we have more of both).

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: WTN: Wines with food

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:54 pm

Great notes, Jim.

I once had the '02 Giacosa Nebbiolo d'Alba w/ ravioli in a veal reduction sauce, and it was an amazing match. In fact, that was the wine that started me down this whole path...
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt