The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: More wines with food

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: More wines with food

by Florida Jim » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:35 am

First: sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, shredded basil and a light, herb vinaigrette.
2006 Ravelli, Soave Colli Scaligeri:
This is very fresh with white fruit and mineral scents; the same on the palate with a licorice flavor, a bitter almond after taste and medium length. A charming wine that is 12.5% alcohol, imported by Opici Wine Co., under screw cap and costs about $12; I’d buy it again.
I chose this because of its freshness and heritage. Diane and I agreed that it was excellent with the dish as the licorice flavor seemed to match the fresh basil and the bitter almond note freshened the palate after the lactic effect of the cheese. As a match, this is hard to beat.

Second: grilled chicken breasts, Caesar salad and crusty bread.
2005 Clos de la Roilette (Coudert), Fleurie Cuvée Tardive:
A big wine aromatically with black fruit, earth and spice aromas; concentrated and intense black fruit and spice flavors in the mouth with grainy tannins, a mouth-coating texture and a long, powerfully flavored finish. More open than a bottle at release yet still a bruiser. 13% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $20; I bought plenty.
Also tasted,
1998 Lafarge, Bourgogne:
(My note from yesterday follows)
“Cocoa powder and plum nose; round and full in the mouth with sour cherry flavors added to the elements of the nose and an obvious tannic presence that does not dry; long, fruit-filled finish. A year ago this was what so many said about the 1998 vintage in Burgundy; tannic and closed. Today it is reborn to round, dense fruit, no drying or harsh tones and a lovely finesse that just wasn’t there in the past. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Chelsea Ventures and about $15 on sale; I’d buy it again.”
After being opened and re-stoppered overnight, this is even rounder, more integrated and fuller in the mouth with a soft mouth feel and a very resolved structure.
Both wines were chosen to go with the grilled chicken based on their being a classic pairing for such a dish. Diane and I agreed that the Lafarge matched it the best as it did not over-power the flavors and its textures matched the texture of the chicken better than the Fleurie, which did seem to be too big to pair well with this food. I think the Fleurie is a bit young for anything but stronger flavored meats at the moment, but I know these Coudert wines develop beautifully in the cellar.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: More wines with food

by JC (NC) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:00 pm

Thanks for the notes on wines I might have a chance to sample myself.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:08 pm

Thanks for the push on the Roilette. I just picked up a bunch more at $13 per bottle all in.

I had an interesting experience with a 2005 Burgundy (a Savigny-Les-Beaune) a few weeks ago. I commented that it was quite good, but reminded me a lot of a 2005 Beaujolais. I thought of it as a negative for the Burg, but the more I taste the more I realize it's the stupendous quality of 2005 Beaujolais that is standing out. In 2005 we get true Gamay flavors, but with palate weight and density (and hopefully aging potential) of village level Burgundy. What a bargain!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:31 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Thanks for the push on the Roilette. I just picked up a bunch more at $13 per bottle all in.

For the Tardive? My goodness, I think you've out-shopped even me.
I had an interesting experience with a 2005 Burgundy (a Savigny-Les-Beaune) a few weeks ago. I commented that it was quite good, but reminded me a lot of a 2005 Beaujolais. I thought of it as a negative for the Burg, but the more I taste the more I realize it's the stupendous quality of 2005 Beaujolais that is standing out. In 2005 we get true Gamay flavors, but with palate weight and density (and hopefully aging potential) of village level Burgundy. What a bargain!

Well, I didn't get a palette of them (like some people I know did with say 2001 Germans) but I have a very healthy number of bottles of 2005 Beaujolais in the cellar. And although there are no guarantees, I have great confidence in the age-worthiness.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:46 pm

Oops - you're still the king - mine's just the regular, not the Tardive. My Tardive was $21.
Decisions are made by those who show up