The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Help! Quick! Anyone know of a good BYO place in Providence?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Eden Stone

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:52 pm

Help! Quick! Anyone know of a good BYO place in Providence?

by Eden Stone » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:17 am

I'm headed to Waterfire in Providence, RI, tonight and need a place to dine. Providence is a funny place for wine and food aficionados. It seems to have a few top-notch dining spots and a slew of forgettable, college-ey places. And restaurants are always appearing and disappearing. It used to have a good number of places that allowed you to bring in wine, but those seem fewer in number these days.

I'm hoping to find a casual, inexpensive place near downtown that allows BYO. Here's the really hard part: one person in our party doesn't like Italian cuisine. Lacking a place with a BYO policy, I'd definitely settle for an inexpensive restaurant with good food and a half-way decent wine list.

Can anyone help? Many thanks in advance if so.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Help! Quick! Anyone know of a good BYO place in Providence?

by Bob Ross » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:20 pm

Eden, I agree with everything you write about Providence, although the town itself has great charm. If Italian is out, choices are terribly restricted. And, the upscale restaurants are really hit and miss.

I suggest the Napa Valley Grille. They have a range of foods, very fresh, with a California twist, and a wonderful staff in Providence -- we had Thanksgiving dinner there last year. Quite a good wine list. My memory is that they didn't charge us any corkage.

http://www.napavalleygrille.com/providence/about.php

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Eden Stone

Rank

Just got here

by Eden Stone » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:42 pm

The menu looks great, though probably a little pricey for my dining companions. I may push for it, though. I really appreciate the suggestion.
no avatar
User

Eden Stone

Rank

Just got here

by Eden Stone » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:55 pm

Bob,

I made a reservation at the Napa Valley Grill. They couldn't have been more charming about me bringing wine. Thanks so much for your help!

Eden
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:17 pm

Great. They were very nice to us, too. They didn't even ask us to buy any wine although they had one of Janet's favorites so we bought a bottle from them as well. But certainly not necessary.

Enjoy!

Regards, Bob