The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1993 Dehlinger Cab Sav & 2005 Badge Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 1993 Dehlinger Cab Sav & 2005 Badge Pinot Noir

by Jason Hagen » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:30 pm

1993 Dehlinger Cabernet Sauvignon Russian River Valley (Estate)
Color still looks good on this. Once in the glass you can smell minerals, tobacco and dried fruit. Showing its age. Drinking very nicely. I am not sure how much longer it will hold on. Flavors seem to be starting to turn and I am afraid it will get sourer. I really liked this but I would have liked a little more richness to bring it into a nicer balance. 89 pts.

2005 Badge Pinot Noir Santa Rita Hills
Great aromatics. I was drawn in but at this stage they show nothing unique. Just the primary side of SRH. The price of opening too early. The palate is very aggressive. The bright acidity hit me and stayed on top of the fruit. I wish there was a bit more tannic structure to go with the fruit and acid but for the mid term, this should be very nice. 89 pts

Cheers,

Jason
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: 1993 Dehlinger Cab Sav & 2005 Badge Pinot Noir

by James Dietz » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:20 pm

Dehlinger Cab...and this old.. from your cellar??? How do newer vintages compare? Do they make Cabs as good as the make Pinot???

You seem to taste an awesome amount of wine for someone who is the only taster in the family.... :twisted:
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Re: WTN: 1993 Dehlinger Cab Sav & 2005 Badge Pinot Noir

by Jason Hagen » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:19 pm

James Dietz wrote:Dehlinger Cab...and this old.. from your cellar??? How do newer vintages compare? Do they make Cabs as good as the make Pinot???

Like Swan, Dehlinger does offer library releases. A great thing. This is only the second cab I have had. I like them ... as much as a cab can be liked :lol:
I'll open one with you very soon. Another impromptu lunch at the office? I'll also bring that 99 SI Chard.

James Dietz wrote:You seem to taste an awesome amount of wine for someone who is the only taster in the family.... :twisted:

:lol: Me the only taster :lol: My better half consumes equal amounts ... she just doesn't want to babble on about it like it do :)

Jason