The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dr. Konstantin Frank Pinot Noir 2006

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Dr. Konstantin Frank Pinot Noir 2006

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:53 pm

Finger Lakes.

Purchased at the winery during the NiagaraCOOL winery tour. The wine was a bit disappointing, lacking some of the depth, complexity and power that I recall when I first had it at the winery. While it didn't show much at first, it did open up a little with some time.

Bright cherry red in color.

Some chocolate and herbs on the nose. Oddly enough, the nose completely disappeared with swirling.

Fairly thick in the mouth, tangy and fairly fleshy-juicy cherry fruit, a bit of bitterness, tangy acidity, spicy, a bit of red licorice, slightly charred/burned.

An okay wine on its own but, as I said, I recall being amazed by this wine before and this bottle certainly wasn't an amazing wine.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Dr. Konstantin Frank Pinot Noir 2006

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:28 pm

Quiet day at work today Bruce?!!
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:52 pm

I'm a government worker Bob. Every day is a quiet day.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:10 pm

Happy to see they are back to a FL appellation. They were using NY for a while due to crop failure.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:39 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Happy to see they are back to a FL appellation. They were using NY for a while due to crop failure.

I seem to recall that some of their bottlings were New York, rather than Finger Lakes.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:50 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:Finger Lakes.

Purchased at the winery during the NiagaraCOOL winery tour. The wine was a bit disappointing, lacking some of the depth, complexity and power that I recall when I first had it at the winery. While it didn't show much at first, it did open up a little with some time.

Bright cherry red in color.

Some chocolate and herbs on the nose. Oddly enough, the nose completely disappeared with swirling.

Fairly thick in the mouth, tangy and fairly fleshy-juicy cherry fruit, a bit of bitterness, tangy acidity, spicy, a bit of red licorice, slightly charred/burned.

An okay wine on its own but, as I said, I recall being amazed by this wine before and this bottle certainly wasn't an amazing wine.

I don't recall the pinot being all that sensational at the winery. I thought all the Dr. Frank wines to be amazingly good. The white wines impressed me more than the reds, at least based on the case I took home. Each to their own. The cabernet sauvignon was excellent though.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:12 am

I was really impressed with the new release Pinot Noir at a winery tasting June 10th. I thought it had quite a bit of body for a Finger Lakes red. Sorry to hear that it disappointed you at a later tasting.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:04 am

JC (NC) wrote:I was really impressed with the new release Pinot Noir at a winery tasting June 10th. I thought it had quite a bit of body for a Finger Lakes red. Sorry to hear that it disappointed you at a later tasting.

Thanks for confirming my earlier impression, JC. I didn't take notes during our tasting, so I was starting to suspect that my memory was failing me.