The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:Another Kane sighting in the Northwest

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN:Another Kane sighting in the Northwest

by Marc D » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:11 pm

Seattle was honored and graced to be the last and final stop on Brad's whirlwind summer tour of the Left Coast. His tour bus and entourage arrived fresh from Portland, after a visit in California. Apparently his trip has been good so far, with only a slight misstep at the Palmer House of schrooms. Brad told me he dined with another Mark Davis in Portland. Weird coincidence, but maybe this explains some strange occurrences. Mark, if you are reading this, did you receive a box of wine from Premier Cru? A mixed case of 02 Baumard sweeties and Dauvissat Chablis that I ordered about 3 years ago never arrived. Maybe they sent it to the Portland Mark Davis.

The night got off to a slow and sputtering start, with Friday traffic on I-5 reduced to a crawl due to several accidents and a reported convention of dental software entrepreneurs. Six of us gathered at Union in downtown Seattle to greet Kane and try some wines. The last to arrive was Roy 'the Port Guy Hersh', who walked in accompanied by the chef. Roy had several boxes and packages, and I was wondering what wonders from the Douro he had in his bag of goodies. Even though we had settled on a highly focused theme for the evening, "Wines From France", I thought it was a pretty good bet that Roy would have at least one bottle of Vintage Port. Also in attendance was Brad 'Only French wines, please' Liljequist, Clint Hall, and Micheal Gordon.

We eventually were seated at a nice table with plenty of room to spread out our bottles and glasses, right across from the kitchen. Turns out, Roy didn't have any Port, but he did bring a magnum of the 1996 Trimbach CFE . Who knew one could be a Prince of Port, a Maestro of Madeira, and still enjoy stony Alsace Riesling? Great flexibility, Roy.

We started out with some white wines, which were mostly from the Loire.

2004 Pur Sang had a nice floral and grapefruit essence nose. Very dry and fresh, with a long finish around a real elegant spine of acidity. Excellent bottle of Sauvignon Blanc.

A couple of very young Chenins were up next.

The 2005 Belliviere Eparses had a pure, clean and expressive nose of quince, acacia flower, and honey. The nose was really the essence of Chenin blanc. Demisec level of sweetness. This was mouth coating, and the minerals and acid structure seem hidden under the baby fat.

Kane had commented earlier in the day that he doesn't bother with Belliviere, saying it is cheaper just to buy razor wire to drag across the tongue to get the same effect. I think the 05 version has changed his mind.

The 2005 Huet Clos de Bourg Demisec was more restrained than the Eparses. With some swirling it had a fine clean nose of flowers and some quince fruit. In the mouth it is tight and wound up, with a big spine. This is great stuff, but will need lots of time. Kane thinks the '05 Huet demis aren't as good as the 2002 versions, but it is maybe too soon to judge.

We tried the 2004 Texier Condrieu next. The nose is pretty and restrained for Viognier, with some stone fruit and peach aromas. Almost lithe in the mouth, with tangerine fruit and bright acidity which gives this a lift at the finish. A really nice version of Condrieu. I read in JLL's book that Texier raises this in old Acacia wood barrels to preserve the fruit and not mask the flavors with oak, and I think this bottle was a success in that regard.

Brad L asks Kane if he likes Burgundy wines. Kane scrunches up his face like he has swallowed something evil, and shakes his head no. He does admit to liking certain Beaujolais, like Lapierre, which he considers a "Gateway Wine". His explains this with an analogy: "Morgon leads to Bourgogne, just like smoking reefer leads to crack." Cool, who knew these things?

Our first course arrives, a terrine of Muscovy duck fois gras, served with cherry compote, a salad of frisee, and some walnut toast. More Chenin blanc is opened to go with the appetizer.

1996 Pinon Vouvray Premier Trie is a lovely match with the food. A very interesting high toned nose, almost sharp, with some wet river rock minerals. The wine is sweet, but not really dessert level. Peach with a little pineapple, mouth coating texture, nice tartness at the end gives it some Ying yang interest.

1996 Ch Soucherie Cotes du Layon VV is our sacrifice to the Cork Gods tonight. Damn, I heard this one had a lot of points, and it would have been interesting to compare with the '96 Pinon.

With the next course we had a little Northern Rhone flight.

1998 Jasmin Cote Rotie was a pretty elegant version of CR, but still true to its place. A little smokey bacon, some plummy fruit, horse saddle, a little high toned violets gave this an interesting and complex nose. I thought the tannins were pretty soft and approachable making this very drinkable right now. Brad L thought this was still young and will be better with more time.

1998 Jaboulet Cornas Domaine de St Pierre was more rustic than the Jasmin, with some Band Aid brett, chocolate, prune and dark fruits, tart acidity, and leathery tannins. A little bit astringent finish. It seemed like it had some new oak flavors, but I wasn't really sure.

The others mentioned that the Quail dish was a great match with the Syrahs. I saved some of the Huet CdB demi to drink with my grilled Branzino with fennel. The Huet had opened up a lot and was great with the fish fillet.

Brad regaled us with stories and tales about the NY wine geek crowd, teaching us some of the secret codes and handshakes, should we ever find ourselves in The Big City. Hard to believe what those New Yorkers have to endure, paying Crack whores to watch your parked car, and restaurants that 'steam cook' steaks.

A lone bottle of Bordeaux made its way around the table, a 1989 Leoville Barton. Very youthful appearance and nose, some cedar and cassis, with the faintest edge of green. Big burly tannins, and pretty primary overall, I would give this one more time.

WIth the main course three bottles of Chateauneuf du Pape were opened.

1988 Vieux Telegraphe had a crumbling cork, but the wine was fine and seemed fully mature. Some baking spices mix with a menthol aroma and an old leather earthy note. There is some sweet raspberry fruit left. The tannins were pretty soft. An elegant, mature CnP that was a great pleasure to drink, and terrific with my morel and chicken dish.

1995 Vieux Telegraphe was the red WOTN for 4 of us. Very expressive, earthy nose, with tar, brown spices, clove, and dark fruit. It approaches but doesn't quite cross the line of over ripeness to me. Lots of structure, and great balance. Very nice to drink now, but I think it will improve even more with time. This was a great bottle of wine.

1997 Chateau de Beaucastel was also drinking very well. It had a little horse saddle, but in the context of Beaucastel seemed almost clean to me. The nose was dominated by sweet Grenache cherry fruit, and this was riper with lower acidity than the 2 VTs. I was concentrating on the two VTs and didn't spend that much time with the Beaucastel.

A fun evening, with some very nice wines. It was a pleasure to finally meet Brad and his Great Palate. Thanks Roy for arranging the details, and good to see Michael, Clint and Brad L.

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: WTN:Another Kane sighting in the Northwest

by Randy Buckner » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:29 pm

Far too good a bunch of wines for the likes of Kane!...

The 95 VT has been a stunning bottle ever since release. Sadly I only have one bottle left in the cellar.
no avatar
User

Marshall Gelb

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:14 pm

Redondo Beach, California

by Marshall Gelb » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:42 pm

Very glad to have finally met Brad at a dinner w/the Kesslers in Napa.
It seems that he really gets around!!
Cheers!!!
Marshall
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:47 pm

Thanks for the great notes, Marc. It's hard at the best of time to keep up with Brad ... but especially fun to see him so hard at work. :)

Great post, thanks again. Bob
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:30 pm

I hesitate to mention this, but just on the off chance....

I was informed that there is the possibility of Kane Sighting Fraud rampant across the country, a vicious version on internet identity theft designed to get free tastings of obscure and expensive wines.

It seems that a small, sinister group of people have shamelessly travelled the country each summer posing as Brad Kane, famous New York Wine Personality and Raconteur. These Brad Kane wannabes---and who doesn't wannabe Brad Kane?---have carefully studied the mannerisms and legendary stories of the real Brad Kane, a modest, soft-spoken and shy but knowledgeable boy from New York, and are brazenly presenting themselves to unsuspecting wine geeks around the country in efforts to get them to pull their prized bottles out of their cellars and share them with the master.

We were privileged enough to get the real Brad Kane in Napa this summer (several of us knew him from New York). I can't speak for anyone else though. You guys in Oregon are probably okay, as I believe I heard Brad say he was heading up that way before he went home. So he was probably the real Brad. Or at least, I hope he was.

Just....be wary. All I'm saying.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:04 pm

Is Brad Kane even real? Just asking?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:18 am

James Roscoe wrote:Is Brad Kane even real? Just asking?

Ah, excellent. A nice heaping dose of paranoia combined with a back-of-the-hand dismissal of Mr. Kane. Well done! Perhaps the only logical response is to suggest that We Are All Kane. What do you think?

Not Kane,
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:41 am

James Roscoe wrote:Rat in '08!

Pig's buddy Rat? I'm with you 100%!

If you're referring to a new food marketing campaign, though...
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:12 pm

Hoke wrote:I hesitate to mention this, but just on the off chance....

I was informed that there is the possibility of Kane Sighting Fraud rampant across the country, a vicious version on internet identity theft designed to get free tastings of obscure and expensive wines.

It seems that a small, sinister group of people have shamelessly travelled the country each summer posing as Brad Kane, famous New York Wine Personality and Raconteur. These Brad Kane wannabes---and who doesn't wannabe Brad Kane?---have carefully studied the mannerisms and legendary stories of the real Brad Kane, a modest, soft-spoken and shy but knowledgeable boy from New York, and are brazenly presenting themselves to unsuspecting wine geeks around the country in efforts to get them to pull their prized bottles out of their cellars and share them with the master.

We were privileged enough to get the real Brad Kane in Napa this summer (several of us knew him from New York). I can't speak for anyone else though. You guys in Oregon are probably okay, as I believe I heard Brad say he was heading up that way before he went home. So he was probably the real Brad. Or at least, I hope he was.

Just....be wary. All I'm saying.

but, but, but he knew the secret handshake, the length of Coad's latest haircut, that Lyle was known as an Ayatollah, and lots of other insider stuff.

A diabolically clever Kane impersonator, what will they think of next.
rofl
thx,Hoke
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:03 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:Is Brad Kane even real? Just asking?

Ah, excellent. A nice heaping dose of paranoia combined with a back-of-the-hand dismissal of Mr. Kane. Well done! Perhaps the only logical response is to suggest that We Are All Kane. What do you think?

Not Kane,
Mark Lipton

Hmmm... I was just in it for the paranoia. Your response makes me even more paranoid!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:04 pm

Steve Guattery wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:Rat in '08!

Pig's buddy Rat? I'm with you 100%!

If you're referring to a new food marketing campaign, though...

Can you think of a better qualified candidate for President? I think the rest of the bunch is a joke!

I leave the marketing to Dogbert.