The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Sue Courtney and Melness

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Sue Courtney and Melness

by Jenise » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:50 pm

Was just reading an offer from Garagiste and was thinking, "I wonder what Sue thinks of these wines." To my surprise, I'd no sooner thought that than they answered the question, at least re the reisling.

What about the pinot, Sue?

Our friends at Melness are back with a one-two punch that (once again) establishes this winery as one of the top contenders for lowest priced/highest quality boutique producer in New Zealand. This would be like a top Oregon or California winery selling their best wines in the $15-20 range so take note.

From the cold Canterbury region of the South Island, Melness produces a small variety of terroir-focused wines from vineyards in Waipara and south through Canterbury. With the cold winds off the Antarctic and nothing to block them, the area is exposed on the southern shore of the South Island with only water between them and Antarctica - this is not such a good thing for Cabernet but a very good thing for Riesling and Pinot Noir. Coupled with some of the strongest heating degree-days in the world (from an ozone layer of basically nil), this is a match made only in New Zealand and one that produces wine of intrigue and complexity.

Melness produces everything by hand and the quality is obvious. As some of our most popular wines from the Southern Hemisphere every year, we’ve been supporters of their cause since the 2002 vintage and this set only re-affirms how consumer-focused they are. Without further ado, may I bring you:

2005 Melness Canterbury Riesling - $16.84 STRICT LIMIT 6/person (Gold Medal-NZIWS)
What can you say? This is the wine that made them famous and while the vintages are always different, it has never failed to disappoint one crowd or another. The scary fact is that the 2005 is acknowledged as the best they’ve yet produced - it was the Gold Medal winner at the New Zealand International Wine Show (the toughest competition in NZ) and this wine doesn’t need any more help - it’s about as hard to get as Riesling can be in the Southern Hemisphere and only a few shops in NZ get an allocation of any worth. From the extra-special 2005 vintage, this can compete with Spatlese or even low-level Auslese at twice the price but the exotic terroir of Canterbury cannot be duplicated anywhere - even in Germany. Truly a one of a kind entrant:

Sue Courtney (noted NZ critic): “Melness Canterbury Riesling 2005, Like sticking your nose into a bowl of old fashioned rose petals, it so floral I'm convinced it's Gewurztraminer, but it is so citrussy toned to the taste, it just can’t be. There's Moroccan spice market scents, spiced orange water and lemon honey on an unctuous, oily texture. Sweet but not overly sweet because it has fantastic balance. An unusual Riesling, but just yum. Gold medal NZIWS. 11.5% alc.”

2006 Melness Estate Pinot Noir - $18.93 STRICT LIMIT 6/person (not reviewed yet)
We had to acquire this before it is released as it sells out even faster at the winery than the Riesling. Put this one up against your 2005 Volnay and see what happens. Melness continues to mystify the competitors with their nearly untouchable pricing on this high-end Pinot Noir. As one of the staples at top restaurants and wine shops in New Zealand, this wine has become very difficult to get. With a decided slant toward the varietal leanings of the Cote de Beaune, this will pretty much knock the socks off most that taste it as the price is just not what top-end, transparent and focused Pinot Noir commands. No expense has been spared in its cultivation and production which makes this even more alluring. Kudos to Melness for their consumer friendly approach and resistance to charge so much they can retire in one vintage. Will be a “laugh out loud” house wine for many and worth the educational experience alone.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: Sue Courtney and Melness

by Sue Courtney » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:01 pm

Melness, as we used to know it, has been sold. It was really a hobby vineyard for Norma and Colin Marshall after they retired, and now they have retired from their vineyard as well. When Norma and Colin owned the vineyard, the wines were made at Pegasus Bay - so that exquisite 2005 Riesling was made by the Matthew and Lynette Donaldson. Actually, all of the Melness Rieslings have been exquisite - ones for fans of the low alcohol style.

The brand has been bought by Kahurangi Estate. However I note on the Melness website ... "Amanda and Greg Day, the owners of Kahurangi Estate, wished to retain the essence and style of the Melness brand and have retained many of the former Melness contract grape growers to supply fruit from the Canterbury region and have retained the excellent winemaking skills of Lynn and Matt Donaldson with the Riesling and Chardonnay being continued to be made at Pegasus Bay Winery."

But to answer your question, I've not tasted the Pinot Noir recently - and not sure if the 2006 is from the original source - which was the Marshall's own vineyard, a little south west of Waipara in Canterbury.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:35 pm

Great, so that explains why the wines are available, they're being cleared out. Thanks for the recco, I just ordered a few of each.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:40 pm

Geez, when I read the thread title, I thought it was referring to Mel Hill! :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:49 pm

Jenise wrote:Great, so that explains why the wines are available, they're being cleared out. Thanks for the recco, I just ordered a few of each.

Being cleared out? I would say the allocation they received would be tiny. Maybe they've just arrived and they are letting their 'valued customers' know about it.
A friend of mine ordered a case of the Riesling 2005, here last week, and the retailer only had 20 bottles left. I was tempted to buy a couple right there and then for myself.
Let me know what you think of the Riesling. A great match for Thai, or other lightly spiced food that needs a bit of sweetness to balance it. Or just chilled straight from the fridge in the summer.
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:59 am

Jenise wrote:From the cold Canterbury region of the South Island, Melness produces a small variety of terroir-focused wines from vineyards in Waipara and south through Canterbury. With the cold winds off the Antarctic and nothing to block them, the area is exposed on the southern shore of the South Island with only water between them and Antarctica -

Not so sure where their geographic knowledge came from. There are a good 500 odd kilometers (300 miles) between North Canterbury and the south coast of the South Island. Even Centra Otago is about 200 north of Foveaux Straight. It does get cold in the winter, but in summer the prevailing nor-wester winds blow in over the Southern Alps and act like a blast furnace quite often.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:18 am

Steve Edmunds saw the title and thought Mel Hill. I thought Mel Gibson.