The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

LA Times: Tangent Wines....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

LA Times: Tangent Wines....

by TomHill » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:30 am

Nicely done article by Corie Brown in today's LATimes on the Niven's TangentWines in the EdnaVlly. Interesting read. The three that I've had thus far have been quite pretty.
Tom

LATimes:TangentWines
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Re: LATimes: TangentWines....

by wrcstl » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:41 am

Tom,
Sounds like an interesting project and 50 acres of Albarino is a real commitment. I try to support the West Coast when they try white varieties out of the norm. I have found some particularly good Rousanne both at ESJ and Wellington. The problem is I usually end up asking myself "why am I not purchasing these wines from the area they are best known?" I have yet to find a riesling that is enjoyable. I would guess that the west coast would do best with lower acid wines. Albarino would be interesting but would think it would come across as more earthy and less "bright" than the usual Spanish drink. I really like the idea of downplaying oak. If I find any of their wines I will certainly give them a try.
Walt
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup...

by TomHill » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:51 am

Walt,
When it comes to Roussanne, there's not a whole lot of pure Roussanne from France/RhoneVlly. And those that are are fairly expensive. Though I had a Cuilleron Roussanne last weekend that retails for a tad over $20. But, with a few exceptions, I tend to like the Calif versions quite a bit. Especially the EdStJ one.
The Tangent Albarino is certainly not more earthy than the Spanish ones. It has much the same bright fruit that those have. But it is somewhat softer/rounder/lusher on the palate. And doesn't have the striking minerality that to find in the Spanish versions. To me, Spain is where it's at for Albarino. For now, at least. Just like Condrieu is where it's at for Viognier. Though there are some quite nice Calif versions, and far cheaper.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:06 pm

Walt; the question really is: are you planting the fruit in the right place? If you put Albarino or Pinot Gris or Gruner Veltliner in the right spot in CA, you can get the same kind of "European" structure and balance, the brightness and nervosity. I do think that's something people haven't really thought about much, out here in Dreamland.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:18 pm

Tom, have you had the gruner? I love what happens to that grape in Austria, and can't quite imagine the warmer Edna Valley doing it justice.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Warmer???

by TomHill » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:22 pm

Jenise wrote:Tom, have you had the gruner? I love what happens to that grape in Austria, and can't quite imagine the warmer Edna Valley doing it justice.

Jenise,
The Gruner is not yet producing yet, so have not yet had it. But EdnaVlly is not "warmer" in any sense of the word. I'd guess it may be cooler overall than the Wachau. But EdnaVlly is one of the pretty cool areas in Calif...in every sense of the word.
Tom
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:31 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Walt; the question really is: are you planting the fruit in the right place? If you put Albarino or Pinot Gris or Gruner Veltliner in the right spot in CA, you can get the same kind of "European" structure and balance, the brightness and nervosity. I do think that's something people haven't really thought about much, out here in Dreamland.

Steve,
I am sure you are correct and you do a great job of selecting vineyard fruit. I am also sure that many people plant whatever they want anyplace they have some space and therefore end up with just wine. I guess to my uneducated mind, sun and heat is the concern for West Coast whites. In the extreme I go back to Riesling. I doubt any west coast riesling could approach German wines or even Austrian for that matter. I probably mistakenly equate low acid with hot climates and this is my problem with most west coast stuff. Maybe it is too ripe fruit, poor planting locations or just not letting the vineyard show through. Not trying to heap praise on your head but you, and I am sure a handfull of others, are the exception. Your syrahs have good acidity, love the Rousanne plus several others. In general I am a regionalist, which certainly evokes polite criticism from Hoke. If I want a sangiovese I will go to Tuscany, if riesling to Germany, if CB to the Loire, if cab to the west coast, if grenache the So of France or Spain, on and on and on. Again, kudos to your wines, the good news is that they are some of the best available. The bad news is that you need to cellar the good ones for several years to realize their potential. Ever think about making a really goopy syrah that must be drunk immediately after bottling and then falls apart? :lol:
Walt
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Warmer???

by Jenise » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:57 pm

Tom, didn't realize that. I knew it was cooler than downtown Paso, say, but in comparison to Austria wasn't sure it would qualify as 'cool'.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:24 pm

Quote: Ever think about making a really goopy syrah that must be drunk immediately after bottling and then falls apart?

In a word, no

If you want something to drink tonight try that rose I make with the funny name. And while you're at it, try the Pinot Gris from the same vineyard. Let me know what you think. :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:32 pm

Tom,
Thanks for the link to the article. I like the Albarino I've tried from Spain (maybe only one) and would be more than ready to try one from Edna Valley. Ditto a Pinot Blanc. The Sauvignon Blanc also sounds worth trying.