The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:01 Milz Spatlese, CA Tempranillo, CdR, Walch Pinot Bianco, 04 Coudert

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN:01 Milz Spatlese, CA Tempranillo, CdR, Walch Pinot Bianco, 04 Coudert

by Marc D » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:38 am

2001 Milz Laurentiushof Trittenheimer Felsenkopf Riesling Spätlese

This is a bit of an adolescent, but with style and not too awkward. Pale youthful color. Somewhat reserved nose, tropical fruit with a little bit of petrol. On entry still a tingle of CO2, then becomes cream like in texture. First impression is that this is broad and sweet, but there is a tart lime acidity that kicks in on the finish. Very interesting, and really enjoyable with a cold Chinese chicken salad. Educational to try in this stage of evolution. 8.5% abv, $20 a few years ago.

2003 Viader Tempranillo Dare (Napa Valley)

A gift from Vance. Dark purple. Some wood toast at first but has plenty of fruit to handle the oak. It is fully ripe but not a total fruit bomb. 13.5% abv. Lowish acidity, some harsh (oak? ) tannin on the finish. Better with grilled flank steak than alone. This does speak to me but it says Napa rather than Tempranillo. Price unknown.

2005 Domaine des Relagnes Côtes du Rhône Vieilles Vignes

A good match with a grilled rib eye. The nose has some smoke and a little road asphalt. In the mouth the grenache fruit dominated with more cherry flavors. The wine is ripe but quite fresh and not cooked or jammy. Nice now, but should drink well over the next 3-5 years. About $14.

2005 Elena Walch Pinot Bianco Alto Adige

Nice match with grilled Bristol Bay sockeye salmon with lemon, and dill. Racy and clean, light body, white fruit, some grapefruit and citrus and a little apple. Soft minerals add some interest. Nice summer wine. 13% abv, $14. I tried the Alois Lageder Pinot Bianco last week. The Walch version is similar in flavor. I think the Lageder has more glycerin and body, and the Walch better acidity. I would be happy to drink either one again.

2004 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette

I was happy to find some more of these around for sale. Tonight's bottle was very good. Expressive nose, not at all closed. Still some of the crunchy 04 tart cranberry fruit, but quite a bit less than a bottle 8 months ago. Very bright, lively, nuances of earth and shading more towards black fruit more than red. More acidity than tannin in the structure. Delicious right now, should hold for some time. Interesting match with a Kalamata olive baguette and Morbier cheese. The olives seemed to accentuate the earthy aspect of the wine. Good stuff for $15.

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN:01 Milz Spatlese, CA Tempranillo, CdR, Walch Pinot Bianco, 04 Coudert

by Jenise » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:05 pm

I get mailers from Viader so I'd been wondering about that tempranillo. Sounds a lot like Justin's version. Well made and not bad wine at all, but lacking everything that makes tempranillo from Spain so special.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN:01 Milz Spatlese, CA Tempranillo, CdR, Walch Pinot Bianco, 04 Coudert

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:21 pm

I liked the Viader enough at Bounty Hunter in Napa to buy and store a bottle. Nontheless, I think your description somewhat jibes with my vague memory. I need to crack this one open. I would probably now prefer a Spanish Tempranillo, but...