The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Giggles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Giggles

by Florida Jim » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:10 pm

Pasta with grated zucchini, fresh herbs and parmesan:
2002 Overnoy-Houillon, Arbois Pupillin:
Masters of the poulsard grape, this wine smells of pomegranate, mineral, red plum and brown spice; the same flavors on the palate with a distinctly funky/aged side that makes the overall impression one of maturity, good structure, fine balance; excellent length. A wine of character, terroir or – name your term – personality that would never be confused with anything else. A wine that makes me giggle. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $21; stupidly under priced.
Chosen because I was “jonesin’” for it. The pairing was not so much a perfect blending but more a point/counter-point done very, very well. At one moment the food holds sway despite the wine’s sensuous streak; the next the wine underlines a flavor or puts an exclamation point at the end of a nibble. This wine moves me in ways very few others can; it is, without apology, fully of its place.

Goat cheese and crackers (while watching the movie):
2005 Michaud, Brouilly Prestige de Vieilles Vignes:
So much more open than on release: still a brooding, structured wine with dark fruit smells and flavors, an underlying minerality and a serious disposition. From very old vines – a wine in need of cellaring. 13% alcohol, imported by Becky Wasserman and about $22; I bought a bunch.
Good with the cheese and crackers and not bad on its own. But too young to get the full ‘monty’ from. Hold.

Eggplant parmesan:
2006 Ravelli, Montepulciano D’Abruzzo:
Dusty and full of dark fruit on the nose; grippy and intense on the palate with good fruit flavors, some complexity and very nice balance; medium length. A wine that has a lot more personality than its price tag would have you believe. 12% alcohol, imported by Opici Wine Co. and about $6; I’ll buy more.
Chosen on heritage. Proved the history right with very solid acidity to cut the cheese in the dish and ripe flavors to compliment the eggplant. A pretty good pairing and a very economical one.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: TN: Giggles

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:29 am

Thanks for the notes, Jim.

I've got two bottles of the Arbois left and it may be time to revisit (I was unprepared for the uniqueness the first time I tried it).

The Ravelli also sounds good, I'll be on the lookout for that.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: Giggles

by Tim York » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:32 pm

The Jura produces some of the most terroir marked wines I know. Even its Chardonnay tastes closer to the indigenous Savagnin than to anything from nearby Burgundy. They are however so individual as not to be to everyone's taste.

I am turning increasingly to Montepulciano d'Abruzzo as it often represents superb QPR in its own right and particularly compared to Chianti. I will look out for this one.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:33 pm

Florida Jim wrote:2002 Overnoy-Houillon, Arbois Pupillin:
Masters of the poulsard grape...

A Shakespearean tragedy: this is imported to Finland, I have tasted it and thought it a wine I should buy by the truckload (one of the most memorable and lovable wines I've recently tasted), yet due to odd Finnish alcohol distribution policies it is only available for sale in restaurants. The only restaurants I've seen it in have priced it so out of my budget that I guess I will never be able to taste it again. Romeo & Juliet isn't at all as touching a Tragedy as Otto & Overnoy.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:35 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
Florida Jim wrote:2002 Overnoy-Houillon, Arbois Pupillin:
Masters of the poulsard grape...

A Shakespearean tragedy: this is imported to Finland, I have tasted it and thought it a wine I should buy by the truckload (one of the most memorable and lovable wines I've recently tasted), yet due to odd Finnish alcohol distribution policies it is only available for sale in restaurants. The only restaurants I've seen it in have priced it so out of my budget that I guess I will never be able to taste it again. Romeo & Juliet isn't at all as touching a Tragedy as Otto & Overnoy.

-O-
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :roll:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.