The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Public Service Message - Buying wine in Torino

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Public Service Message - Buying wine in Torino

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:03 pm

So I just spent 5 days in Torino, Italy, and while I had a rgeat time there and drank very well (reports to come), there was one thing that really bothered me.

I spent some time in 4 separate wine shops & every single one was sweat inducing hot. It's been very warm in Torino the last few weeks, and few places have much air conditioning. I shudder to think of what has happened to some very fine Giacosa (I even saw red label Riservas in places that were very warm), Conterno, Mascarello, etc. wines. One thing that caught my eye was some 2000 Trimbach Gewurztraminer VT that was way up on a very high shelf in a warm room, so you know that stuff is long since cooked.

One night I had a bottle of 2000 Produttori del Barbaresco Rio Sordo with dinner & it was definitely far advanced from heat.

When cooler weather comes nobody will be the wiser, but I will not be buying wine in Torino.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Public Service Message - Buying wine in Torino

by Brian K Miller » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:19 pm

It's amazing how warm wine stores can be-even in California. Some shops have the cooled "reserve rooms," but even the regular wines should be kept relatively cool.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:21 pm

Timely warning and not just for Torino!

Next time I think of buying during or in the months following a heat wave from an enoteca in Italy, a caviste in France or similar in another country, I will remember to check their air conditioning arrangements.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:31 pm

Sorry to hear this, David. I am presently in Umbria and it is hot here during the day, but dry - nice and cool at night. These medieval towns, however, have cool buildings and enotecas. They have not seen any rain in over a month!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:34 pm

Paulo in Philly wrote:Sorry to hear this, David. I am presently in Umbria and it is hot here during the day, but dry - nice and cool at night. These medieval towns, however, have cool buildings and enotecas. They have not seen any rain in over a month!

Sounds pretty much like the Mid-Atlantic except for the cool nights thing. Have a great time Paulo!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:39 pm

Paulo in Philly wrote:Sorry to hear this, David. I am presently in Umbria and it is hot here during the day, but dry - nice and cool at night.

It was somewhat humid in Torino the first couple of days & it never really cooled down at night.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:00 pm

Yes indeed true of a number of them (I recall Casa del Barolo being particularly hot for a basement room). As you say, some of the best and oldest are left to bake on the highest shelves. Which were the places you went to?

IIRC Vitel Etonne's downstairs cantina was cool enough. There's one cracking place in the North of Torino that has all the good old wines stored off-site.

Did you buy any to take home?

regards

Ian