The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Bernhard Huber Malterdinger Bienenberg Riesling 04

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 2004 Bernhard Huber Malterdinger Bienenberg Riesling 04

by Saina » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:24 pm

With an Arctic Char in a sauce of shallots and Riesling, I drank some Riesling. If I could handle lactose, I would have added a touch of cream to the food because it needed a bit of richness. The wine went well (and would I imagine have worked better with a slightly creamy variant of the dish) as it had enough fruit to cope with the rather tart tasting dish. I don't know if it makes to anyone else, but the food was a bit top-heavy: I would have wanted some bass notes in there as well.

• 2004 Bernhard Huber Malterdinger Bienenberg Riesling Trocken - Germany, Baden (7/27/2007)
    12% 17,17€. Light gold. The nose is very mineral and has pure Rieslingfruit. There is an odd but pleasant toasted aroma also - certainly not oaky toast, but something I've never experienced with Riesling before. The palate is dry but fruity and not at all tart as many German Trockens seem to be. Strongly mineral. Nice stuff!

Posted from CellarTracker

BTW, I've never tasted Huber's wines before. I've only read that they should be a respected producer in Baden. How do others here like Huber? Are all their wines as delightfully mineral-forward as this one?

-O-
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2004 Bernhard Huber Malterdinger Bienenberg Riesling 04

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:16 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:the food was a bit top-heavy: I would have wanted some bass notes in there as well.

Didn't you have something else besides the fish?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: 2004 Bernhard Huber Malterdinger Bienenberg Rieslin

by Saina » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:57 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Otto Nieminen wrote:the food was a bit top-heavy: I would have wanted some bass notes in there as well.

Didn't you have something else besides the fish?

Just some new potatoes. Not quite bassy enough.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.