The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Gott a new Pali

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Gott a new Pali

by Jenise » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:39 pm

2006 Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc, Amador
Pear, kiwi fruit, grass, lemon, grapefruit and minerals. Frisky. And it reminds me a bit of the only other Amador SB I remember having, the Karly, which makes me think something in the earth there gives these sauv blancs as unique a character as the zinfandels. An excellent expression of California sauvignon blanc, $12.

2005 Pali Wine Co. Inman Olivet Vineyard, Russian River
Until just now, reading the label off the bottle, I did not realize that this was a Russian River wine. That is, nothing about drinking it last night suggested Russian River, but maybe that's because I know that Brian Loring makes these at his Lompoc winery. Too, the fruit read more raspberry than the typical Russian cherry, and it needed some coaxing. Yes there was spice, but no silk--there was an acidic astringency across the palate that never abated. Quite good nonetheless with our Asian dinner of grilled sesame chicken thighs, fried rice and baby bok choy, but this wine needs time.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: Gott a new Pali

by James Dietz » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:41 pm

I think I need to take a trip to Amador ... lots of nice wines and wineries in the area.....sounds like the JG is an SB that I would love....thanx for the report JS
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Gott a new Pali

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:49 pm

I am really enjoying the 2005 Pali wines. I almost opened an Inman last night (had it in my hand), but ended up with the Donnhoff instead as Laura wanted some wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up