The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: KlinkerBrick Farrah Syrah '04...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: KlinkerBrick Farrah Syrah '04...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:30 am

Tried this last night w/ cheese strata:
1. KlinkerBrickWnry Farrah/Lodi Syrah (15%; http://www.KlinkerBrickWinery.com) 2004: Very dark/black color; very strong Lodi/earthy/mushroomy/loamy strong licorice/blackberry/Syrah bit smokey/DrPepper/RCCola some framboise classic Lodi terroir quite interesting nose; soft earthy/Lodi terroir/loamy very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah some RCCola/DrPepper rather spicy flavor; long bit tannic strong Lodi/licorice/earthy/mushroomy blackberry/spicy/Syrah/RCCola finish; loads of Lodi terroir but the Syrah character comes thru loud and clear; quitea good value at $14.80
1. This is one of the strongest testimonies for Syrah in warm climes that I can recall. Though that earthy Lodi terrior was there, the wine really spoke of Syrah. It's one of the best Lodi wines I've had of late. Maybe not a world-class Syrah, but a good-drinking wine that doesn't require any pontificating over.
The fact of the matter is that Lodi is a pretty warm area (least the few times I've been there in the Summer) and that they can achieve the quality of wines there is, I think, remarkable. I have been quite struck in the dramatic increase in quality of the Lodi wines. I've not had a Lodi wine that I'd label as world-class (yet) but if they can make world-class reds in Priorat and other hot areas of Spain, or Puligia, or Sicily, I suspect there's no reason they can't in Lodi. We shall see.
One of the problems, I think, w/ Lodi wines is that they're (like Cucamonga or the Loire)) very strongly terroir driven. For those folks who worship at the altar of terroir, this is, I guess, a good thing. Because the terroir is so dominant in the Lodi wines, I suspect many folks, when they pick up the Lodi terroir, immediately think Lodi....therefore not good wine. It's high time that notion be discarded.
Winemaker is SteveFelten, who occasionally shows up here in CyberSpace.
TomHill
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: WTN: KlinkerBrick Farrah Syrah '04...(short/boring)

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:07 pm

Haven't had the syrah but their zin is a favorite of several winedrinking friends of mine. It also retains the Lodi terroir but manages to be much less one-dimensional than many zins from the area. Very tasty stuff.

The experience with their zin combined with your report on the syrah makes me think that this Steve Felten guy knows what he's doing.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child