The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '03 Fandango tempranillo

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN: '03 Fandango tempranillo

by wrcstl » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:35 pm

With all this talk of tempranillo I decided to open a value wine I purchased a couple of months ago for $5 on clearance. It is named after a famous flamenco dancer, I am sure bottled at some co-op, but my first bottle was quite good with home made pizza. This bottle has to be the best $5 wine I have ever tasted. Dark berry fruit on the nose, full bodied, nice acidity, touch of tannins on a rather long finish and just a great drink. To its fault it may be a little one dimensional but who cares. Goes pretty well with Pinjur, a Trader Joe's roasted pepper and eggplant thing that we eat one jar of a week and it only costs $1.69. This is my value night. As good as the wine is I do not think it will improve but should hold for at least another year. I think the wine store has a few more bottles so I will scoff those up. To add fuel to the fire of "what is the tempranillo flavor profile" I can say this is no help. As good as this little wine is I would never have identified tempranillo; Lopez Heredia it is not but again, who cares. I tend not to buy really cheap wines but this is a definite exception.
Walt