The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Barolo Help

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Barolo Help

by Robert J. » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:20 pm

I am torn as to which Barolo I should get: Corino 2001 Vigneto Roncaglie or Vietti 2001 Castiglione. They both received great reviews. Any thoughts?

rwj
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Re: Barolo Help

by JoePerry » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:32 pm

I like Vietti's Castiglione; one of the great Barolo values year in and year out. I've got the 01, but have not tasted it yet.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:59 pm

What's the tarif Robert? I have a barolo in the basement I won't touch for a while, but a Joe P. recco on a less expensive model might make me crack that one.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:38 pm

Corino = $73

Vietti = $43
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:59 pm

Robert J. wrote:Corino = $73

Vietti = $43

Thanks, I will check it out at the local BAWS.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:42 pm

Robert J. wrote:I am torn as to which Barolo I should get: Corino 2001 Vigneto Roncaglie or Vietti 2001 Castiglione. They both received great reviews. Any thoughts?
rwj

Will look forward to your note after you've made your decision and tasted the wine. I had a Poderi Alto Conterno Bussia 2001 last week. Years since I had a Barolo and it was tasted blind, so had no idea what it was although the tannins should have been a huge clue. It was quite faded in colour, but I understand that is normal. And the tannins - OMG! Do they ever soften? Will post notes seperately.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:00 am

I'd go with the Vietti as well, Robert. Vietti makes well-priced, traditional wines and the '01 Castiglione should be pretty nice given cellar time.

And the tannins - OMG! Do they ever soften?
Sure, in 10-25yrs. :wink: Looking forward to your note on the A. Conterno, Sue. The few '01's I've had so far have had wonderful long-haul structure.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:56 pm

I bought the Vietti. And Sue, I'd love to tell you about it if you can wait about 12 years. That's when I plan on drinking it. I guess were about to find out if the WLDG has staying power.

Thanks for all of your input folks.

rwj
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:12 pm

Look forward to your tasting notes. I'm a little surprised at description of Vietti as traditional, my vague impression was that they were "midmodern" (not as modern as Prunutto or Luigi Pira, but not traditional like a Mascarello). But that's based on limited experience.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:37 pm

Dale, ya, Vietti certainly isn't as purely traditional as (either) Mascarello. I believe they do sometimes use auto pump over during fermentation and the occasionally part-time new (or newer) barrel for some labels (like in Lazzarito). So ya I do agree with you, maybe closer center but definitely on the traditional side of center. And for my tastes, I don't find any noticeable offensively modern traits in their wines that I've had.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:27 pm

Robert J. wrote:I bought the Vietti. And Sue, I'd love to tell you about it if you can wait about 12 years. That's when I plan on drinking it. I guess were about to find out if the WLDG has staying power.

12 years - who knows if we will all still be here? But I don't see why not. I been here 8 years already. Anyway, sounds like a good plan for your Barolo. Gee, it would be nice to taste an older one, to see just how they evolve.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:08 pm

Sue Courtney wrote: Years since I had a Barolo and it was tasted blind, so had no idea what it was although the tannins should have been a huge clue. It was quite faded in colour, but I understand that is normal. And the tannins - OMG! Do they ever soften? Will post notes seperately.

Nebbiolo is a lot like Pinot Noir, in that unless strenuous efforts are made to darken it, it makes a relatively light red wine. But the flavors are, as I'm sure you noticed, quite another thing. Many of the best Barolos and Burgundies I've had have been very light in color.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines