The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Italian Wine Merchants, NY

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Italian Wine Merchants, NY

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:24 am

Does anyone have any experience purchasing from them? I get their promo emails, and most of what they're offering is usually a little more than I want to pay. However, several of their "Wines of the Month" offerings sound interesting this time, and I'm thinking about buying the six-pack sampler. It seems to me that they offer a lot of stuff that isn't easily found elsewhere here in the States.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Italian Wine Merchants, NY

by Thomas » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:00 pm

They do offer interesting stuff, but they also generally land at the high end of the pricing scale.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:05 pm

Thomas wrote:They do offer interesting stuff, but they also generally land at the high end of the pricing scale.

Thomas is in a mild mood today. I'd up it to "if someone else offers it, IWM is most expensive" But indeed good stuff
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:15 pm

OK, might be time to go on wine searcher then. Thanks.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:14 pm

K, have you also tried WineZap? I've had so much better like finding current releases from LOTS of sources with WineZap, I rarely use Wine-Searcher any more.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:30 pm

Thanks, Jenise. I gave it a shot, but as with Wine Searcher, the only place any of these wines popped up was at Italian Wine Merchants. However, it's good to know that this other resource is there, I hadn't used Wine Zap before.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:33 pm

Expensive shop but great wines and great educational values. I've really enjoyed the tastings put on by the shop -- there is tuition so I never feel an obligation to buy anything, but am always tempted and rarely succumb.

The presenters are always well informed and passionate -- a great way to learn about Italian wine.

B.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:38 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Expensive shop but great wines and great educational values. I've really enjoyed the tastings put on by the shop -- there is tuition so I never feel an obligation to buy anything, but am always tempted and rarely succumb.

The presenters are always well informed and passionate -- a great way to learn about Italian wine.

B.

I wish I lived closer so I could take advantage, but I do try to read their emails as thoroughly as time allows, as they are also chock full of good information on the wines and their producers.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:01 pm

Jenise wrote:K, have you also tried WineZap? I've had so much better like finding current releases from LOTS of sources with WineZap, I rarely use Wine-Searcher any more.

Jenise,
I never use WZ, tried it last year on someone's suggestion and it seemed it never returned as many (real) hits as WSearcher for me. And if Carolina Wine Company says "$20 cheaper than lowest price on Winezap", I can generally guarantee that means I can find a price similar to theirs on WS. But that might be that you're using regular WS? IMO, for most people who are active wine buyers, a couple of purchases will more than pay for the Pro version ($25/yr).

I just did a few searches of wines that I'm interested in (2005 Cazin, 2005 Pernot Batard, 2001 Trimbach CFE, 2001 Giacosa Asili, etc) and in each case WS Pro turned up more hits than WZ. And in several cases WZ missed the lowest (or the lowest at a store that I trust). The one wine that WZ showed a lower price than WS was the 2001 Asili, which it showed at Italian Wine Merchants of all places for the lowest price. However, a trip to the IWM site shows that you can't order at the $109 price, just inquire (in other words they sold out).

I don't always order from the lowest price store, I have a list of trusted merchants. But if WS Pro shows me a lower price at a trusted store, one purchase will probably cover cost of the subscription for the year. And things like the availability notifier make it even more valuable.