The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Livin' large

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Livin' large

by Florida Jim » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:46 am

Rice pasta with chick peas, broccoli and an artichoke pesto cream sauce:
2000 Belle Pente, Pinot Noir Estate Reserve:
Showing aromas of oak, stems, red fruit and spice; the same on the palate with some complexity and depth, good balance and a long finish. By itself, not something I want much of but it did well with the food. 14.3% alcohol and about $44 on release; I won’t buy it again.
Chosen on a whim. ‘Was good accompaniment as it lost most of its oak/stem signature and the fruit showed through but it did not overwhelm the flavors of the dish.

Grilled chicken breasts, grilled corn on the cob, a big salad and crusty bread:
2005 Dom. Vissoux, Fleurie Poncie:
This wine gives rise to an emotional response in me; its is unreservedly delicious and filled with freshness and nuance; a delight to smell and taste and feel in the mouth; beautifully ripe fruit, a purity matched by very few bottles I have ever tried and so utterly sublime that I am lost for words. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Weygandt-Metzler and about $20; back up the truck.
Chosen because of Beaujolais’ affinity with chicken, this fell short. Of course the wine was wonderful, but it needed the punch of a whole roast chicken with veggies rather than just chicken breast. A good match but not a great one.
Still, the wine . . .

Smoked salmon spread and crackers:
2005 Denis Jamain, Reuilly Pinot Gris Rosé:
Light, clean and very slightly off-dry, this very pale rosé is refreshing and carries good cut and light flavors (mostly strawberry) with nice balance. A friendly little wine which, for me, is best a single glass at a time. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and about $15; I like other rosés better but this was very good with the dish.
Chosen because of comments about pinot gris being good with salmon and it was; this had the fruit to stand against the smoked fish flavors and enough cut to lighten the spread.

Pasta with a sauce of yellow squash, zucchini, mushrooms, white beans, chicken and pesto, topped with chopped tomato:
2005 Argiolas, Vermetino di Sardegna Costamolino:
Resin, citrus and mineral on the nose with a tang to the flavors and a bitter note on the finish. I liked it but Diane didn’t (a little too bitter for her). 13.5% alcohol, imported by Locascio and about $9.
Chosen because of the pungency of the pesto in the dish, this was a perfect match – even Diane agreed. The flavors meshed well and the bitter note cleaned the aftertaste while still maintaining the freshness of the dish. A superb match.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Livin' large

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:13 am

Pinot Gris Rose? That would be hard to find up here. Nice!
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:57 am

Your Vissoux notes captivated me, so I'll be picking some of that up from CW tonight (their price is $21.99).
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:03 pm

K Story wrote:Your Vissoux notes captivated me, so I'll be picking some of that up from CW tonight (their price is $21.99).

It is a great wine.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:12 pm

Florida Jim wrote:
K Story wrote:Your Vissoux notes captivated me, so I'll be picking some of that up from CW tonight (their price is $21.99).

It is a great wine.
Best, Jim

Your note has inspired me to open a bottle, perhaps tonight. In a previous note of yours, you'd mentioned opening it an hour before serving. Did you do that this time as well?

Mark
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:43 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Florida Jim wrote:

It is a great wine.
Best, Jim

Your note has inspired me to open a bottle, perhaps tonight. In a previous note of yours, you'd mentioned opening it an hour before serving. Did you do that this time as well?

Mark

'Actually, decanted it an hour.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:23 pm

Florida Jim wrote:
'Actually, decanted it an hour.
Best, Jim

So, with a simple meal of roasted "Amish" chicken, roasted potatoes and "Kenyan" kale (braised with tomatoes -- yum), I did indeed open (and decent for close to an hour) the Poncié. As you wrote, just delicious, a true testament to the beauty of Cru Beaujolais. Crisp, clean, delineated fruit and a great mineral streak. Certainly at the young end of its drinkability, but it'll be hard to hold onto for very long.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:17 am

Mark Lipton wrote:
Florida Jim wrote:Certainly at the young end of its drinkability, but it'll be hard to hold onto for very long.

Yep.
And I decided I will drink them when I feel like it and the only way I will have some left is if I buy a lot.
So I bought a lot.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:46 am

and so utterly sublime that I am lost for words

For you, that's saying a lot. Wish I had some of this one.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:33 pm

Jenise wrote:and so utterly sublime that I am lost for words

For you, that's saying a lot. Wish I had some of this one.

Still in the market. Winesearcher can help.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars