The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

So it`s the weekend!! Whats ready to go?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

So it`s the weekend!! Whats ready to go?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:03 am

Long weekend up here. Gonna look for a couple of splits of Calif Chard for the Open Mike! Also have a white Frontignac from Australia ready to go. Thats unusual eh.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: So it`s the weekend!! Whats ready to go?

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:21 am

2006 ESJ Bone Jolly Rose & 2005 Torbreck Woodcutter Semillon.

Accompanying fried chicken and various sides on the lawn at Wolf Trap for an evening of the National Symphony playing along to Bugs Bunny cartoons.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:01 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Long weekend up here. Gonna look for a couple of splits of Calif Chard for the Open Mike! Also have a white Frontignac from Australia ready to go. Thats unusual eh.

Dunno, Bob. My son arrived yesterday with his friend. My son, 28, is staying ... forever or longer ... and his friend is going back to N.J. on Sunday. He's asked for a Tour de Wine Country today or tomorrow, so I guess I will be picking up something there, although I have a number of young whites and rosés which are crying to be consumed.
And now what?
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:31 pm

I was going to open the Glenora Seyval Blanc (Finger Lakes) but will push it back to later this summer. In light of the Chardonnay Open Mike I will open a Prejean Chardonnay (Finger Lakes) and a Markham Chardonnay (Napa). Also have a Bouchaine Chardonnay, (Napa) and I think a Trevor Jones Virgin Chardonnay (Australia) for next week. After those I may open a white Burgundy for contrast (a Puligny-Montrachet Premier Cru perhaps). After that back to red wines and the hybrids from the Finger Lakes (Vignoles and Seyval Blanc) and maybe some Riesling (domestic and German). That should keep me busy until the end of August and the offline in DC. Will have to think about what to take to contribute.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:07 pm

Heading to the cottage for 10 days with two mixed cases (one white, one red and a few bubblies thrown in for good measure).

Will have lots of WTNs to post upon my return (Aug. 13).
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:12 pm

JC (NC) wrote:I was going to open the Glenora Seyval Blanc (Finger Lakes) but will push it back to later this summer. In light of the Chardonnay Open Mike I will open a Prejean Chardonnay (Finger Lakes) and a Markham Chardonnay (Napa). Also have a Bouchaine Chardonnay, (Napa) and I think a Trevor Jones Virgin Chardonnay (Australia) for next week. After those I may open a white Burgundy for contrast (a Puligny-Montrachet Premier Cru perhaps). After that back to red wines and the hybrids from the Finger Lakes (Vignoles and Seyval Blanc) and maybe some Riesling (domestic and German). That should keep me busy until the end of August and the offline in DC. Will have to think about what to take to contribute.

Sounds like you've got it all planned out, Jane!

Following up on your last sentence, I was just thinking about the same and wondered about your opinion on a 2003 Podere Il Palazzino La Pieve Chianti Classico (figured I'd try to stick w/ the Italian theme since it's Dinos). Do you think it'll be too young?

I've got several '01 Brunello's and a Barolo, but I think they're kind of on the young side too, no?
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:25 pm

I would go with the Chianti Classico as likely more approachable. Barolos need a ton of time and while some Brunellos are made for earlier drinkability, I don't know if that's the case with your Brunellos.
I don't have many Italian wines on hand so might order one off the winelist at Dino's (perhaps two of us can order together) and may bring a Petite Sirah which I think could go well with Italian food (or maybe a Zinfandel). I may throw in a dessert wine also.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:38 pm

Great, I've been looking for an excuse to drink the Chianti. Since we need to order a bottle for each we intend to bring if we want free corkage, your suggestion of going in on the order is a good one.

In the meantime, here's a link to their wine list - you can start thinking about what you'll want well in advance! (Note: the table of contents is a the end of the file).

http://www.dino-dc.com/menu/wine.pdf
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:20 pm

It's 95 degrees here in St Louis. A Prosecco tonight and probably scotch at the club on Saturday following a husband/wife tournament. Probably a divorce on Sunday and no wine.
Walt
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:25 pm

Among others, a 1996 Lynch Bages.
Last one I had tasted pretty new world to me but that was May of 2004.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:56 pm

Florida Jim wrote:Among others, a 1996 Lynch Bages.
Last one I had tasted pretty new world to me but that was May of 2004.
Best, Jim

Jim, I would love to hear your thoughts on this. I like old style Bx, and the few older Lunch Bags I've had have been much to my taste - but I have also heard scary things about the '96 so haven't bought one, though it is still available here.

Tonight it's a Montecillo GR Especial '82 and a drop of Osborne Rare Palo Cortado. I haven't drunk enough Riesling or Albariño recently so I might open one also if I have an opportunity. If, instead of a social weekend, I have one of furious scribbling on my theses, then I might just open a good beer or two instead - I haven't been drinking enough good beer either.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:10 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:Heading to the cottage for 10 days with two mixed cases (one white, one red and a few bubblies thrown in for good measure).

Will have lots of WTNs to post upon my return (Aug. 13).

2 mixed cases for 10 days. Think that will be enough Bruce?!!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:47 pm

We started off with an '02 Castell Del Remei, Gotim Bru, Costers Del Segre; which matched just fine with Sweet & Sour Eggplant Soba.

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/vil ... plant+soba
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:05 pm

2003 Mar de Frades Albarino. Too hot for anything very heavy.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:11 pm

'01 Potel Volnay VV, nothing special.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:21 pm

Well, this evening we had poached salmon, with CalCab - Dry Creek Vineyards Mood Hill cab from 2000.
Smooth, ripe, not pruney nor oaky, still a bit toothy with tannin. A good fit if you're weird like me, and like reds with most anything. The rest of the bottle tomorrow night.

I have half a dozen wines in mind for lamb chops on Sunday. Syrah, Petite Sirah, and some Rhone style blends, some of which are actually French.

I'll make up my mind (what little is left of it) sometime Sunday.