Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

No Pizza for You!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

No Pizza for You!

by Bill Spohn » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:29 pm

Apparently Italy, the mother of pizza, does not like pizza with pineapple. Dominos is abandoning the Italian market. Though how they thought that Italians would prefer Americanized pizza to what Mama makes I have no idea.

They left the Nordic countries a couple of years ago, and failed in China but are still in there feeding pizza to the Russians.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: No Pizza for You!

by Jenise » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:23 pm

While in Amsterdam in 2017, just for adventure Bob and I took a random train to an unknown place to just sit and watch ordinary Dutchmen doing ordinary things. There, from an outdoor patio, we shared a few beers and watched, rather horrified, as one motorbike after another showed up at a shop a few doors down and left with packs full of what turned out to be Domino's pizza going out for delivery. It was like watching bee business at a hive. Not just popular, immensely popular--apparently.

In a way it makes sense. The Dutch people I got to know there, though there were foodie exceptions, had fairly bland and unadventurous palates. I remember talking to one who had just returned from a Spanish vacation who shocked me by complaining that the food was too--oh gosh, what word did he use, not spicy but something like busy. There was just too much flavor, essentially. That guy would be a Domino's customer, and there are many many there like him.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:31 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:They [Domono's Pizza] left the Nordic countries a couple of years ago, and failed in China but are still in there feeding pizza to the Russians.

I'm sure the Ukrainians are applauding. :twisted:

Not surprised they ran into trouble in Italy. Pizza Napolitana is, after all, an EU TSG.

I remember some French foodies complaining in a discussion group about McDonald's, in France. I pointed out that if French want them out all they have to do is to stop buying and eating the stuff.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:42 pm

When we were in Germany we saw a McDonald's sign done in antique style to blend in with the surroundings. Couldn't find our picture of it but it looked like this:

mcd.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.