Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

You poor, poor southern Californians

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

You poor, poor southern Californians

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:17 pm

Interstate Bakeries, maker of Wonder bread and Hostess Twinkies, is closing four bakeries in Glendale, Pomona, San Diego and Los Angeles, and exiting the bread business....>choke< I can't go on. :cry:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: You poor, poor southern Californians

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:17 pm

Gasp, you mean folks might be getting smart about the bread they consume....going to whole grains perhaps. Imagine that? :roll:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:18 am

I'm convinced this is because every damn loaf of bread in every supermarket is now just like Wonder bread. Used to be that if you paid attention, you could get bread that at least had enough substance to it that you could spread peanut butter on it. There's one brand left in the supermarkets here that works for this and it seems to get mushier every time I buy a loaf. Getting to the point that you have to go to some artisanal bakery just to get decent sandwich bread!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:36 am

I love great bread as much as the next person, maybe more, but every once in a while, there's a need for Wonder bread, or something like it.

I still like my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on it, for example. And what about pulled pork barbecue? I certainly don't want that on some cracked wheatberry bread, do you?
I still enjoy an old fashioned tuna sandwich, made with just tuna and mayo, on sliced white bread. Somehow, it wouldn't taste right to me any other way.

And Wonder helps build strong bodies, twelve ways. (or was it seven?) Whatever. I'm going to miss it - a little.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:30 am

We had three grandkids here for three days who don't like "gramps" bread. So true love picked up a pullman loaf of what had previously been a reliable brand. I couldn't spread peanut butter on it, and had only slightly better success with jelly.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:06 am

Where have I been? I thought Wonder Bread was long gone. Oh well, I guess it is now.

I still have in memory the Wonder Bread sign over the East River and the Drake's Cakes sign across from Ebbets Field. The world moves on and on with or without us...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:04 pm

Where have I been? I thought Wonder Bread was long gone. Oh well, I guess it is now.

I think you can get it at Wal-Mart, Thomas. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:42 pm

Hoke wrote:

I think you can get it at Wal-Mart, Thomas. :twisted:

Yeah, it's probably shelved in the video department next to Wonder Woman...
Thomas P