Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

At Stuart's urging

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: At Stuart's urging

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:27 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Which response do you mean, Rahsaan?

(fwiw, I'm pretty much a lifer- haven't eaten meat since I was a small kid)

Stuart, my Mom was like that - didn't eat meat from about 6 years old or so. OTOH, she would cook meat for my Dad and us kids, and even worked in a butcher department of a grocery for several years. I will sometimes eat a meatless meal, but only because I want a change of pace. I am a confirmed omnivore, and can get downright joyous over a particularly well-prepared piece of meat, especially if it is the tenderloin of a yearling deer that I brought to bag.

My only real problem with vegans and run-of-the-mill vegetarians is if they start to interfere with my own freedom to eat meat or not, as I see fit.

And FWIW, I have tried to like tofu, but without much success, especially if it is made to look like meat of some sort! Tofurkey is indeed an abomination!
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:33 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Yes, I have. it's OK, but never thrilled me, especially at the not-inconsiderable price. Millennium, same thing- very good, not superb, but expensive.

Ditto. I had my first and last seaweed dish at Millenium. It reminded of those straw bricks these used to use. Green's is OK, although not the cheapest place around. The upside is the take-out and then sitting down somewhere with a bay view.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:52 pm

Thomas wrote:Yep, can't get much better at vegetarian than an eggplant parm. at a good Italian restaurant--or mine!

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! But that involves CHEESE. Milk comes from animals. Can't have that if you're a vegan.

Do vegans allow their infants to suckle?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:43 am

My cat will be delighted to provide you with all the extruded cylinders you could ever want.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:03 am

Paul Winalski wrote:
Thomas wrote:Yep, can't get much better at vegetarian than an eggplant parm. at a good Italian restaurant--or mine!

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! But that involves CHEESE. Milk comes from animals. Can't have that if you're a vegan.

Do vegans allow their infants to suckle?

-Paul W.

Yes, they do, but only from other vegans whose breasts ooze tofu whey.
Thomas P
Previous