Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Food gifts?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Food gifts?

by Saina » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:29 pm

I got a big box of dried Black trumpet mushrooms from my brother. He knows that I absolutely adore that mushroom. :)

Rehydrating some for tonight's risotto:

Got anything nice for Christmas in the food/kitchen department?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Food gifts?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:46 pm

I received two outstanding kitchen gifts, and a yummy assortment of provisions.

1) A beautiful, beautiful cookbook, Sweet Myrtle & Bitter Honey by Efisio Farris. Interesting recipes and stories from Sardinia, lavishly illustrated with luscious photographs.

2) A professional quality stainless steel mandoline made by a company called MIU. I even altered my menu yesterday so I could immediately play with it! It kicks!! (Yes, I used the guard!) I haven't put it away anywhere because it just looks so cool sitting on my counter.

3) Coffees and teas, including one from a roaster back home courtesy of my daughter, some chocolate dipped biscotti, some Godiva chocolates, and Twinings Chocolate Indulgence drink, which I have yet to try, but it sounds pretty delicious.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:38 pm

It's been a good December for me, too. A set of various gratin dishes made from a rather miraculous terra cotta, some black truffles, fruitcake (RJ is da bomb), smoked red savina pepper (this got me curious after reading Cynthia's mac'n'cheese post- it's fabulous), and a wheel of Humboldt Fog chevre.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:24 pm

I received a gorgeous Nordicware holiday pan (as posted in the Friends and Fun forum). Also a couple of new salad bowls/serving dishes. Pete bought me a funky metal apple peeler/corer/slicer thingamabob :
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:47 pm

I received another Le Cruset pan, my third. A friend gave me a small wheel of Gorgonzola Cheese from Italy, and a package of baking soda which includes vanilla. It smells fabulous.....again from Italy. Has anyone tried this product?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:56 pm

Our family observed a moratorium on gift-giving this Christmas, so I didn't receive any good food gifts. But I did encounter a wonderful aged Gouda and a Stilton at The Wine Society--one of the few independent wine shops in the state of New Hampshire. Both cheeses were superlative examples of their type.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:45 pm

I got a shiitake log. Yep, a log with shiitake spores. I soak in water, and then wait to harvest my mushrooms (I knew someone in college who grew mushrooms, but I don't think they were shiitakes :shock: )
I'm pretty psyched.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:00 am

Dale Williams wrote:I got a shiitake log. Yep, a log with shiitake spores. I soak in water, and then wait to harvest my mushrooms (I knew someone in college who grew mushrooms, but I don't think they were shiitakes :shock: )
I'm pretty psyched.

Not as psyched as your friend in college who grew the magic mushrooms. :twisted:

I've never had a shiitake log, but I know friends who had one. You're in for a treat. You can harvest fresh shiitakes for many months, and the log requires almost zero care and upkeep.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:56 am

I got a new Kitchen Remodel, due to start the last week in January. Can hardly wait!!!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:42 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote: some black truffles

I can't believe I didn't think to put these on my wish list.

We got the usual Harry and David's Tower, a Wine Country Gift Basket, etc. The best food gift we got was Mexican Wedding Cakes made by my good friend Chris who came over for Christmas dinner. They were her grandmother's recipe. Wonderful. I'm so mad they are gone already, but she did give me the recipe. :)

She also brought Gluten-free dog treats for my "bubble-boy" lab, so she really rocks in my book.