Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Food ideas - help !

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Food ideas - help !

by Celia » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:20 pm

Maaan, I'm tired ! Too much Christmas.. :)

I've just opened the fridge, and can't come up with anything really interesting to cook. Here's what I have :

a half leg of ham, unopened
some smoked salmon
marscapone and some cream
blueberries
avocadoes
leftover roast lamb
rockmelon
sultana grapes
cheddar cheese
quails eggs

As always the freezer is stocked with sourdough bread. Also have freshly baked sourdough nutella rolls (we self-importantly call them "pain du chocolat") and some olive and cheese rolls.

I was thinking either some croque monsieurs or perhaps some "sushi rolls" made with the smoked salmon, avo and mayo, or even with the lamb. No root veges left, so that eliminates shepherd's pie. Or maybe some quiche or bake thingy with the quails eggs and ham. Oooh, or maybe some macaroni cheese. Would love any other suggestions...please.. :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Food ideas - help !

by Paul Winalski » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:53 pm

Make Scotch Broth using the ham bone.

-Paul W.

UPDATE: That should have been LAMB bone. Use the ham bone (with some meat still on it) for red beans and rice.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:03 pm

Thanks Paul, but can't do that until we eat all the ham off it. Hmm...maybe I could do it with the lamb bone instead ?
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:51 pm

Do what my family does with leftovers: throw it all out on the counter and pick at it until you are full.

Eat the blueberries with mascarpone for dessert.

rwj
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:53 am

Robert,

That always works for me with leftovers. One can't say no to ham or lamb sandwiches (at least, I can't).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:25 am

Sorry I am late on this Celia.

I can't come up with anything more interesting than what you suggested, really...I would probably take the marscapone cheese and salmon and make a pasta dish with that...just throw some frozen peas in as well.

For the lamb, I would make a stew, but since you don't have any veggies, maybe a curry. I know that my Mother-in-law always curries her leftover lamb.

As you said, I would probably take the ham, cheese and quail eggs and make a quiche.

The sultana, melon, and blueberries, I would just throw in a bowl for a quick fruit salad, and the avocado, I would probably just eat on some toast.

Sounds like you have some yummy leftovers though...I bet you had a wonderful Christmas meal!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:26 pm

Thanks all ! Maria, I hadn't thought of using the marscapone in pasta, I might do that ! I've always thought of marscapone in dessert terms.

Last night I made a stew with the lamb bone (thanks Paul), using beef stock, leftover Penfolds 389 red, cherry tomatoes, carrots, onions and a bit of cream - it was delicious served with sourdough rolls. I also made "sushi" rolls with vinegared risotto rice, smoked salmon, Japanese mayo and avocado, which the boys devoured.

They also announced in no uncertain terms that they would definitely NOT eat a quiche made with quails eggs.. :)

I'm thinking now of doing a breakfast bake - layers of sourdough, cooked bacon and miscellany, covered with a combination of cream, egg and white wine, topped with cheese and baked. Maybe I could slip the quails eggs in that way. I usually make this the night before and let the egg and wine soak up overnight, before pouring on the cream and baking at the last minute. Hmm...or maybe french toast, with bacon and maple syrup.

I've put on 5lbs over Christmas. :D

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:20 pm

celia wrote:I've put on 5lbs over Christmas.

But you were too thin before, love, so it's just fine! :D
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:47 pm

Cynthia, you are just too sweet, girlfriend. :) Thanks..

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial