Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooking method - Prime Rib

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Cooking method - Prime Rib

by Carrie L. » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:52 am

Has anyone tried making Prime Rib via the "No Fail" Prime Rib mehtod? I'm sure you've all heard about it...You cook it for an hour at 375 degrees. Leave the oven door closed and just leave the roast in there for as long as you want until 30 minutes before you serve it when you turn the oven back on.

It really does cook it perfectly. Beautifully crusty brown on the outside, rare to medium rare inside, and very juicy. I've made it this way twice now.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Cooking method - Prime Rib

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:12 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Has anyone tried making Prime Rib via the "No Fail" Prime Rib method?

Carrie, I'm sure it works, but I'm so happy with the high-low-high method - using a probe thermometer for precision, it's certainly foolproof, and much quicker - that I just don't see the need to try the offbeat alternative.

Just stick the probe in the center of the roast, then throw it on a rack an a shallow roasting pan. Preheat oven to 500F, put in the roast, reduce immediately to 450 and let it sear for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 and roast until the probe temp hits 118F. Crank heat back up to 500 for 10 more minutes, take out, cover loosely with foil for about 10 minutes, then carve and serve. Juicy and delicious, a perfect hot pink all the way across the eye, and it takes only about an hour and 15 minutes for a four-pound, two-bone roast, maybe 1:45 for a larger roast. What's not to like?
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:30 pm

Carrie...I have never heard of that method...interesting.

I always cook my prime rib the same way too...375 for 30 min and drop to 350 for about an hr for a 6 pounder. Then let it rest for 10 min. It cooks perfectly. However, I always find that the texture is a little bit chewier than I would like. I know that it's prime rib and not filet, but I have had prime rib that melts like butter in my mouth and mine never seems to do that. I wonder if a prime rib roast could benefit from a slow cook method, like Gary suggested for his tough cut. What do you all think? If you cook a prime rib roast for several hrs on low heat...any thoughts?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:13 pm

Maria, I know what you mean about some of the restaurant Prime Ribs melting in your mouth like butter. I've never had that at home either. I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say. Maybe Chef Carey is out there and can give us a clue about it. :)
no avatar
User

Jim Drouillard

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:05 pm

Richardson TX

by Jim Drouillard » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:38 pm

Hi,

I new to the forum but I have been cooking most of my life. I learned about using a grill when I lived in KCMO and since than I haven't done a rib roast any other way.

I dry brine the roast for about 2 hours. One in the fridge, the other on the counter. I rinse it off and sprinkle it some salt (coarse ground in both cases) on it to raise some of the proteins to the surface. Just before it goes on the grill I brush it VERY lightly with olive oil (to much & major flare ups) sprinkle some more salt and go heavy on the coarse ground pepper.

I sear it on all sides and than put in the probe thermometer close to the bone for standing rib or middle for a roast. I set mine for 135F. Rest for 15-30 minutes after & slice.

It seems like a lot of salt but really isn't when you consider the mass of the roast.

If anyone wants I have pics of the procedure done with a bone-in strip steak I can post.

Jim
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:58 pm

Jim,

Having lived in KCMO, I wonder if you are familiar with the Kamado ceramic charcoal grill. I did my prime rib roast these past two Christmases, in 2006 it was a dry aged roast, and this year it was a regular "USDA choice" boneless roast. I couldn't really see the $4.00 lb price difference. Anyway I cooked it over lump charcoal (indirect) to an internal temp of 140, took it off and gave it 20 minutes rest before slicing, and all the adults at table wanted 2nds both years.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:27 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:... and all the adults at table wanted 2nds both years.
Well Bob, if you'd given them a decent portion the first time... :twisted:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:42 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:... and all the adults at table wanted 2nds both years.
Well Bob, if you'd given them a decent portion the first time... :twisted:

What? So I couldn't have sandwiches the next day? Happy New Years Howie.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:35 am

Maria Samms wrote: However, I always find that the texture is a little bit chewier than I would like. I know that it's prime rib and not filet, but I have had prime rib that melts like butter in my mouth and mine never seems to do that.

Yes, I always wonder whay that is too, Maria. I have thought that it was the difference between Prime and Choice cuts of beef but maybe it is the cooking method.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:44 pm

Regardless of size, Carrie? Haven't tried the method, but I can't quite imagine this--there would have to be some mins/maxs involved. I'd think.

My preferred way with prime rib is low and slow. I tend to broil or pan sear the roast, if it's small enough to do that, then roast at around 225 until it's done. It doesn't take that much longer than you'd think.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:24 pm

I'm with Jim and Bob on this cooking method. I've been cooking my prime rib over indirect charcoals with a bit of added wood (aged wine barrel oak, oak, grape vines, or other hardwood) for flavor for about 20 years. I don't brine, but about a hour before putting on the grill I make a rub of generous kosher salt and cracked black pepeprcorns with a hint of paprika and just enough olive oil to hold it together. I cook 20 minutes per pound or until the internal temperature reaches 160F. My favorite part is the meat around the bone.

Carrie, the only time I found my meat was ever chewy was when I had not let it come to (near) room temperature before putting it on the grill. Cold meat will sieze up once it hits the heat and you will invariably have a chewier piece of meat, no matter the cut.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jim Drouillard

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:05 pm

Richardson TX

by Jim Drouillard » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:46 pm

Bob, I've heard & seen the "Green Egg" style grill. I want one eventually for doing bread, pizza and long & slow grilling. If you want a wood fired pizza a ceramic grill is the only way to go. The secret is the intense heat coming from above to caramelize the cheese. A normal house hold oven doesn't get any where near hot enough (you need at least 600+F, 1000F would be great) and you don't have enough mass in most grills to retain any heat above the coals once the led is opened. For high heat, quick cooking (i.e. steaks) I love my cast iron grate grill. A birthday present from my wife a couple years ago. I do all the cooking in the house so it's in her best interests to keep me supplied well.

Jo Ann is right on the bringing it to room temp first. On top of the shock it causes the meat fibers you have a harder time cooking the middle correctly without burning the outside. By the time the middle is warmed up the outside is so over cooked it gets really chewy. This will also cause the well done portion to be deeper into the roast.

If you want some good charcoal you got to try lump. It burns faster (and hotter) but it gives great flavor to what ever you’re cooking.

Jim
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:55 pm

The major reason for the very slow cooking low temperature restaurant method is the reduced shrink. The cookers commonly used cook the meat in a 200 degree or less environment. The most popular brand of cooker used to be Auto-Sham I believe. It is my recollection that the "normal" manner to cook prime with a high temperature (temp. over 300 degrees) results in a shrink of over 30 %. The extreme low temperature, slow high humidity method has a shrink of about 15 %. This means a lot in a high volume operation. Myself, at home, start with the meat at almost room temperature, give the roast 15 minutes on convection roast at 450 degrees, bone side up. Then turn it over and reduce the heat to 250-275 and bake it with a pan of water beneath it. I check it's progress occasionally with my meat thermometer. If need be I raise the heat towards the end to finish in a timely fashion.

As with all meat I roast I first marinade it in a solution of 3 quarts water, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup kosher salt for two hours.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:22 pm

Jenise, I agree it defies logic, but supposedly it doesn't matter what size the roast is...The last one I made was ten pounds. The time before, it was about half that size. I don't get it either!

Here's the procedure as written from Cooks.com...

This is a wonderful and easy recipe....always perfect.
Select a standing prime rib roast. Let stand at room temperture for one hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Season and place roast in shallow roasting pan. Do not cover or add water. Put in oven and bake JUST ONE HOUR. Turn off heat but DO NOT OPEN DOOR ANY TIME UNTIL READY TO SERVE (90 minutes to 2 hours maxiumim).
Thirty to forty minutes before serving, turn oven on to 375 degrees. Cook for remaining 30-40 minutes. The meat will be very brown and crisp on the outside and beautifully pink all the way through, medium-rare and very juicy.
Use this procedure for any size roast.
For Au Jus, in a small saucepan over medium heat, add one (14-ounce) can beef broth and bring to boil. Reduce the heat, and add one packet of dry onion soup mix, and simmer for 5 minutes.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:58 pm

Jim Drouillard wrote:If you want some good charcoal you got to try lump. It burns faster (and hotter) but it gives great flavor to what ever you’re cooking. Jim

Jim, I agree with you and Jo Ann about bringing the meat up to room temperature prior to putting it on the grill. I always do that no matter what cut of meat I am cooking. About the charcoal, I use hardwood lump for most of my grilling. I use it for roasts both beef and pork. I also use it when roasting chicken and turkey, I even use it for fish and vegetables. However, for low and slow such as a pork shoulder or a brisket, I use the Kamado Extruded Coconut (KEC). I can load the grill with 8-10 lbs of KEC and get it up to 200-210 and let her go for as much as 24 hours without reloading fuel. I do pork shoulder/butt until it reaches 200 degrees internal, and brisket to 185-190F. This breaks down the collagen holding the meat together and allows it to just melt in your meat. I pull the whole shoulder with two standard dinner forks.
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:26 pm

so many methods........
here's one I tried recently.

Preheat oven to 500 F.
Place rib roast in oven and sear for 15 minutes per bone. Then shut the oven off and leave door closed for two hours.
You will get a perfectly rare roast, but my problem with this method was that it wasn't piping hot.

Most times I go with a method similar to Robin's - blast high then drop the temp and use the meat thermometer.
Some advocate the opposite - start slow, pull the roast at 118, crank the oven to 500, then put back in for crusting purposes.

The best roasts come out of Alto Shams - the roast and hold cookers Mr Weyer speaks of. Reduced shrink is the attraction - and a roast can be held in there for hours and it will still emerge moist and juicy.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:29 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Maria, I know what you mean about some of the restaurant Prime Ribs melting in your mouth like butter. I've never had that at home either. I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say. Maybe Chef Carey is out there and can give us a clue about it. :)

Maria, it's about the quality of the meat. Most supermarket meat available to civilians just isn't as good as what is available to the professionals.
Be sure to buy choice grade or higher from a reputable butcher and you too will produce a melt in your mouth roast.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:29 pm

Interesting Jenise...how long does your roast normally take for low and slow?

Bob - If I ever get my Kamado, I definitely plan on doing my next roast in it! LOL! I can't seem to get ahold of them, and I am sure that it should be done by now. Patience is not my greatest virtue.

I always let my roast come to room temp...I take it out in the morning, and test it's internal temp before it goes in the oven.

John - I ALWAYS get PRIME rib roast from the butchers for my Christmas dinner. I order it weeks in advance, so the cut of meat is not the issue. The texture isn't terribly chewy, but it isn't melt in your mouth either. So I honestly think it's the cooking method.

It's interesting to hear everyone's different methods.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:18 pm

Jim,
The "Green Egg" cooker is of course a name brand as is the Kamado. One of the differences is that the "Green Egg" has a wall thickness of 1/2 inch, where the Kamado has a wall thickness of 2 inches. I submit that the Kamado makes for a better heat sink. Not quarreling, just pointing people in the right direction.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:18 pm

Maria, for a large roast, I time it by calculating 15 minutes per pound, then I add two hours to that. It usually doesn't need all two hours, but such is the momentum at "low and slow" that it shifts to hold mode easily by leaving the oven door open for about five minutes to let it cool and reducing the temp to 'hold', if your oven has that setting, or that no man's land between 150 and off if you have a 25 year old JennAir like mine.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:41 am

Jenise, I think you may be right!
There is a place here in the desert called Cactus Jacks. It's been around forever. It's housed in an old style travelodge type of motel. There is a "diner" section in the front while the back end is dark paneling, black naugahide booths, and low cielings. Before California went smoke-free, and even for quite awhile afterward, you could barely see the other tables through the fog. The restaurant made its reputation here long before the Ruths Chris's, Mortons and others came to town. The meat is really, really good.

On New Years, we got to talking about Prime Rib and we all decided there is none better than at Cactus Jacks. It is meltingly tender like Maria mentions. One of the old timers piped up and said it's because the restaurant has these ancient ovens that are propabably not even to code. (Maybe they have the Jenn Aire's too, Jenise!) They cook the roasts all day long at an excruciatingly low temperature. (Not sure what the age of the oven had to do with that, but "Mack" thought that was one of the secrets...Maybe the new ovens don't go below a certain temp?? Never noticed that.)

Anyway, I'm eager to try it this way now. I'll wait until I see the USDA Choice on sale somewhere.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:42 pm

One last thing I remember about steak. There is a huge difference between meat that has been dry aged as opposed to wet aged. Dry aged meat usually takes about 14 days on the hanger and there is a tremendous amount of fiberous break down by the bacteria that causes the aging change. There is a bit more shrinkage and the meat is darker and has a stronger beef flavor ending in that melt in your mouth texture. This is restaurant grade beef and is generally not sold to the public. This is the steak that Delmonico's has built its reputation on. Wet aged beef on, the other hand, is vacuum sealed (may be injected -- but not necessarily) and will keep that bright red color. The difference is in the texture and the flavor of the meat. Although we consumers can get a good grade of beef, unless you are Martha Stewart or some other culinary maven, it is unlikely you will score this steak without bribery or breaking your piggy bank for that once in a lifetime experience. Yes, I have tasted this beef and I know of what you speak. If you find a source, let us know.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:59 pm

Carrie L. wrote:They cook the roasts all day long at an excruciatingly low temperature. (Not sure what the age of the oven had to do with that, but "Mack" thought that was one of the secrets...Maybe the new ovens don't go below a certain temp?? Never noticed that.)

Anyway, I'm eager to try it this way now. I'll wait until I see the USDA Choice on sale somewhere.

Carrie, I love the sound of Cactus Jack's--I love these one-off holes in the wall.

You know what, I don't remember where I was, but it was some place like Lawry's, or one of the Chart Houses--but it was one of those places where prime rib is something of a specialty and I got a chance to chat with one of the chefs about the special ovens they use to produce the quantity of prime rib they go through. He told me they cook the prime rib overnight at around 200--it was one of those "aha!" moments for me, I'd never considered roasting a big piece of meat THAT low. Been doing it ever since, though, and my prime ribs are better than ever. Now I'm interested in adding a moisture bath like George or John suggested.

Oh, and speaking of this texture of meat we're all drooling over? Well, I have a friend here who hates prime rib because it's "squishy". But when she orders steak, she likes filet mignon--go figure.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:32 pm

Carrie L. wrote:They cook the roasts all day long at an excruciatingly low temperature. (Not sure what the age of the oven had to do with that, but "Mack" thought that was one of the secrets...Maybe the new ovens don't go below a certain temp?? Never noticed that.)

Carrie, this method of cooking is called "Low and slow". it is the method that a lot of bbq is done, especially if one can control the heat of the cooking chamber to or near 200F. It is especially how a pork butt is cooked for pulled pork. I don't know just how long your restaurant cooks their rib roast, but I am having trouble envisioning it being meltingly tender, and still being medium rare to rare which is how I want my roast beef. the reason for that is that in order to make it tender the collagen has to be broken down. (Melted), and that take an internal temp of about 190F. BTW, my electric oven can not be set below 170 degrees, which is a bit too high for things like drying fruits and vegetables, or making jerky. I can do all that on my Ceramic grill though.
Bob Henrick
Next