Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Berrymisu

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Berrymisu

by Celia » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:56 am

Just assembly instructions rather than a recipe ! Made this from leftovers, and it was delicious :

Leftover white chocolate cake (I guess you could use any leftover madiera or yellow cake) - this was the holiday cake I posted a pic of earlier
Punnet of blueberries
500g tub marscapone
Grand Marnier
Dark Chocolate
Icing (confectioner's) sugar
Bottled raspberry sauce (fruit jam or conserve would work too)

My boys don't like traditional tiramisu because of the coffee, so I made this version. I layered slices of cake over the base of the dish, then soaked it with a mix of raspberry sauce thinned to a pouring consistency with water and some grand marnier. Scattered blueberries over this, and then topped it with a layer of marscapone which had been mixed (by hand) with some icing sugar and grand marnier. Repeated the whole thing (cake, raspberry liquid, blueberries, marscapone mix), then topped the whole lot off with grated dark chocolate. Sit in the fridge for an hour or so to let the cake absorb the liquid. Eat, with thick cream, if desired. :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Berrymisu

by Maria Samms » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:33 am

Wow...fantastic idea Celia! Looks delicious! I bet it was a big hit...thanks for sharing.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:34 am

Thanks, you've put 5 pounds on me just looking at that!

Really creative use of what's on hand. Well done!
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:46 pm

Celia, that looks fantastic. You got me thinking about the range of possibilities involving cocoa and "conserves" here. For instance, I love the combination of orange and dark chocolate--marmalade might be interesting.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:48 pm

Thanks ! Stuart, if you think 5lb went on in looking, you should have seen how much went on in the eating ! :)

Maria, I find this to be reasonably child-friendly (although I usually go easy on the alcohol if I'm sharing with the boys), and I also omit the raw egg usually used in tiramisu. I've been thinking about lightening up the marscapone with whipped cream, although this particular dish was made from leftovers, so I didn't have any at hand.

Jenise, I love, love, love dark chocolate and orange ! You should come over here, girlfriend, and we could eat ourselves into barrel-shapes. :) When I was in Melbourne, we visited a stunning chocolate shop called Koko Black. Apart from amazing hot chocolate, they had these very stylish chocolate bars, made simply from tempered dark chocolate studded with almonds and glaced orange segments. Such a clever and simple idea, yet it looked soooo good.

Re conserves, I often wonder how much more we could do with them than just using them to spread on toast. The expensive berry sauce, for example, might be replicatible (hmm...is that a word?) with conserve thinned by Grand Marnier ?
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial