Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wine pairing?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Wine pairing?

by Larry Greenly » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:24 pm

I was given a bottle of 2005 Palladio Chianti Saturday night. Any suggestions what to cook?
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: Wine pairing?

by Frank Deis » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:07 pm

The obvious choice is something Italian, i.e. spaghetti.

But Chianti can match anything from steak to chicken, and one excellent match is a pork roast.

I would basically say, relax and enjoy, start simple, order a pizza.

But bear in mind that a good Chianti with a little age can be a complex and fascinating wine.

Frank
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:54 pm

I might make a homemade pizza or sfincione.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:27 am

The Palladio Chianti was good with Sicilian Sfincione, and it was followed by my friend's bottle of Meridian Cab Sav.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:30 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:The Palladio Chianti was good with Sicilian Sfincione, and it was followed by my friend's bottle of Meridian Cab Sav.

Larry, what's a Scincione?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:51 am

It's an absolutely wonderful and easy-to-make dish that's always a hit. The best way to describe it is as a proto-pizza. Each diner gets a whole, round sficinione about 8 inches in diameter. Its dough is rich, fortified with milk and eggs and puffs up to an impressive height with a crispness that surpasses foccacia. On top: a fresh, uncooked tomato and onion mixture with black olives and some shavings of Parmesan. The whole construction is then baked. Served with a salad, it's a delicious meal. Yum!

Recipe upon request. You won't be disappointed and it'll become a fave to serve.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:21 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:It's an absolutely wonderful and easy-to-make dish that's always a hit. The best way to describe it is as a proto-pizza. Each diner gets a whole, round sficinione about 8 inches in diameter. Its dough is rich, fortified with milk and eggs and puffs up to an impressive height with a crispness that surpasses foccacia. On top: a fresh, uncooked tomato and onion mixture with black olives and some shavings of Parmesan. The whole construction is then baked. Served with a salad, it's a delicious meal. Yum!

Recipe upon request. You won't be disappointed and it'll become a fave to serve.

Sounds fantastic. Recipe requested!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:35 pm

Your wish is my command.