Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Favourite Palmier Recipe

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

RCP: Favourite Palmier Recipe

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:55 pm

Carrying on from Jenise's excellent Olive-artichoke palmier recipe, this is one of my own favourites - Mushroom Palmiers. The recipe comes from the Australian Women's Weekly 'Finger Food' Cookbook (now out of print). It had lots of pictures to show the steps in assembling the Palmiers (except I cannot find my book, so the pic below is from the Finger Food 2 Cookbook). It's very easy and can be done ahead.

I use frozen puff pastry sheets, as I cannot roll pastry. You can roll out the sheets a little more if you want, but I don't.

Filling Ingredients
1 tablespoon oil
15 grams (about 1 tablespoon) butter
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 finely chopped onion (I am not a great onion fan, so always use a reasonably small onion)
250 grams (about 8oz) mushrooms finely chopped
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon chopped chives

Method
Heat the butter and oil in a saucepan and add the finely chopped onion and crushed garlic and cook until softened.
Add the finely chopped mushrooms and cook until soft.
Sprinkle over the flour, stir in and cook for no longer than a minute, then add the water. Stir all the time. It will quickly boil and thicken.
Remove from heat.
The original recipe omits salt, so taste and add seasonings if necessary.
Stir in the chives.
Cool before using

Thaw the sheets of frozen puff pastry.
Put on the mushroom mixture.
Fold in half and brush with beaten egg
Fold into palmier shape.
Refrigerate at least 30 minutes
Cut and bake for 12 -15 minutes in a moderately hot oven.

I searched for the recipe to see if it was online so I didn't have to type it out from my hand written book of favourite recipes. I couldn't find it at all. But more searching came across the exact recipe at this blog. The author, who tells why you should read a recipe from start to end before you begin, suggests cooking at 400 degrees F for 12 minutes.

However, in my original search on the AWW websites, I came across some Honey-Coated Pistachio and Rosewater Palmiers. They sound delicious for a sweet treat.

Who else has a favourite Palmier recipe?

Cheers,
Sue

Edited to change a slurring 'show' to a non-slurring 'so'.
Last edited by Sue Courtney on Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: RCP: Favourite Palmier Recipe

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:53 pm

That looks delicious, Sue. Most of my intimates are not olive or artichoke fans, so this looks like perfect party fare for them!

Thanks for posting it!