Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Parsley Root

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Parsley Root

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:30 pm

I was looking at the back cover of the Fall issue of Cook's Illustrated, this morning and noticed a picture of parsley root. It looks much like a parsnip but about 1/4 the size. I grow Italian parsley in my herb garden and replant it every other year. I don't recall my parsley having the root system as described on the cover. It seems to me that my parsley is a mass of tight roots, not at all long and separated. What is your experience with parsley root, and how do you cook with it?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Parsley Root

by Howie Hart » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:11 am

I have a friend who's mother would not make a pot of soup without parsley root. I managed to find some and used it in a pot of chicken soup (many years ago) and liked the results, but haven't seen it lately.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Parsley Root

by Jenise » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:41 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I was looking at the back cover of the Fall issue of Cook's Illustrated, this morning and noticed a picture of parsley root. It looks much like a parsnip but about 1/4 the size. I grow Italian parsley in my herb garden and replant it every other year. I don't recall my parsley having the root system as described on the cover. It seems to me that my parsley is a mass of tight roots, not at all long and separated. What is your experience with parsley root, and how do you cook with it?

Karen, I've only had the pleasure of parsley root a few times because I don't see it often at all to buy--never had it in a restaurant, and have cooked it myself three or four times. Though you're right about the roots looking like parsnips (and having a similar texture), the flavor is almost identical to celery root but perhaps more concentrated. They're tasty on their own, but their size makes them a poor candidate for single-use purposes. I've found their best use grated into mashed potatoes, latkes or creamed soups.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov