Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP /Foodletter: Veggie risotto

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP /Foodletter: Veggie risotto

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:37 pm

Veggie risotto

The New Year is here, the holiday celebrations are over, and most of us are probably just about ready for a return to simple, warming fare that can fill us up without filling us <i>out</i>, if you know what I mean.

I'm a great fan of risotto at any time of year, but it's a special treat on brisk winter evenings because - at least from the standpoint of the cook - it warms you twice, once when you dine and before that when you work over the simmering pot of rice, ingredients and broth.

Some good cooks fear risotto a little because the procedure sounds labor-intensive; you do have to give it most of your attention while it's cooking because it needs <i>almost</i> constant stirring.

But it's easier than it looks - the stirring phase needs only 20 minutes or so, and you can take short breaks if you're careful - and the rewards are ample.

When I make risotto, I usually do it as the central dish a one-course meal, so I can focus my full attention on the rice without worrying about side dishes. If the risotto alone isn't enough to suit you, it's easy to make a salad and have a loaf of good bread ready to go before you start.

Best of all, once you've mastered the easy method, you'll no longer need a cookbook or specific recipe to toss together a good one from leftovers or just about anything you can find in the refrigerator or pantry. I came up with today's all-vegetable recipe by the simple expedient of looking in the refrigerator crisper drawer and pretty much pulling out all the old veggies that needed to be used up while they were still edible. You could substitute just about any vegetable you like, or add meat or substitute chicken or beef broth for this quick homemade veggie broth if you're feeling carnivorous.

INGREDIENTS: (Serves two)

<B>For the vegetable broth:</B>
6 cups water
About 1/4 of a white or yellow sweet onion
1 carrot
1 clove garlic
1 stalk celery
Salt
Black peppercorns

<B>For the risotto</B>
The vegetable broth above
Enough white or yellow sweet onion to make 1/2 cup (120g) when chopped
1-2 cloves garlic
Green bell pepper, enough to make 1/4 cup (60g)
1 stalk celery, with leaves
6-8 brown button mushrooms
Cabbage, enough to make 2 cups when shredded
3 tablespoons (45g) butter
Dried red-pepper flakes
2/3 cup (160g) Arborio, Carnaroli or other risotto rice. Don't substitute long-grain.
2 tablespoons grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Salt
Black pepper

PROCEDURE:

1. Make the vegetable broth: Put the water in a large saucepan. Peel the chunk of onion, leaving it in one piece. Peel and smash the garlic cloves. Peel the carrot. Put the onion, garlic, carrot and celery in the water with a couple of pinches of salt and a dozen black peppercorns. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered on a back burner for about 15 minutes.

2. Prepare your ingredients: While the broth is simmering, peel and chop the onion, peel and mince the garlic, chop the green pepper and the celery, and wash, destem and cut the mushrooms into thick slices. Slice the cabbage into very fine shreds. Assemble the vegetables in separate small bowls or dishes and have them handy as you cook; this organized process - chefs call it "<i>mise en place</i>" - will help you work much more efficiently.

3. On a burner directly in front of the simmering broth, melt about 2 1/2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat in a saucier or saucepan, reserving the last bit of butter for later use. Put in the chopped onions and garlic and a discreet shake of dried red-pepper flakes, and saute until the vegetables are translucent but not browning. In succession, add the chopped green pepper, celery and mushroom slices, stirring each addition briefly until it warms through. Put in the sliced cabbage and toss briefly until the cabbage wilts and the vegetables are just starting to brown.

4. Put in the rice and stir briefly until the rice is well mixed in with the vegetables. Then, following the standard procedure for risotto, reduce heat to medium and start stirring in the broth, one half-cup ladle full at a time, stirring almost constantly and adding more broth as each previous addition is absorbed. Continue this process for 15 to 25 minutes, until the rice is tender but still just barely <i>al dente</i> at the center. Put in one more ladle of broth, stir until it's mostly absorbed and the remaining liquid is creamy. Turn off heat and add the grated cheese and the last bit of butter, stirring until the butter melts and the cheese is well incorporated. Check seasoning and add salt and black pepper to taste if needed.

<B>MATCHING WINE:</B> A fine, affordable Austrian white, Loimer 2006 "Lois" Kamptal Grüner Veltliner, made an outstanding match with the mixed vegetables in this risotto; a Sauvignon Blanc would offer another inviting approach.

<center>Subscribe to The 30 Second Wine Advisor's weekly FoodLetter</center>
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP /Foodletter: Veggie risotto

by Jenise » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:24 pm

Good recipe--we don't always need meat. But I'm surprised at the width of your instruction on the cooking of the rice at "15 to 25 minutes". I know from timing my own risottos that I pull off the dish in 17-18 minutes after the rice first hits the pan. At 25, the rice would lose that firm inner kernel, wouldn't it?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:01 pm

Not necessarily, Jenise. At our elevation many procedures take much longer than one could possibly imagine.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:48 pm

Jenise wrote:Good recipe--we don't always need meat. But I'm surprised at the width of your instruction on the cooking of the rice at "15 to 25 minutes". I know from timing my own risottos that I pull off the dish in 17-18 minutes after the rice first hits the pan. At 25, the rice would lose that firm inner kernel, wouldn't it?

Cynthia added one point I hadn't considered, about altitude, but I don't expect we're all THAT much higher up in the Ohio Valley (499 feet above sea level) than you are on the coast.

My thinking, based on experience, is that both rice variety and freshness are critical. I have an intuitive sense that Carnaroli requires longer than Arborio, although I've never done a kitchen test. I know for sure that rice that's been around in the pantry or fridge for a while dries out and takes longer to rehydrate than fresher rice. (Same principle as dried beans ... I never realized how much difference freshness made until I found Rancho Gordo.)

Frankly, I tend to judge first by vision and texture - I don't consider the rice done until the liquid around the rice on the last round goes from thin to creamy; <i>then</i> I start tasting.

I also suspect, based on your comments on <i>al denter</i> pasta, that you like your pasta <i>and</i> your rice more al dente than I do, although I certainly don't like it mush! :)

I probably extended the range a little broader than absolutely necessary, but based on my experience, I did feel it important to emphasize that you have to make this stuff by look, feel and taste, not by the clock.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:20 am

I also suspect, based on your comments on al denter pasta, that you like your pasta and your rice more al dente than I do, although I certainly don't like it mush!

True; I suspect the same.

I probably extended the range a little broader than absolutely necessary, but based on my experience, I did feel it important to emphasize that you have to make this stuff by look, feel and taste, not by the clock.

Oh yeah, and that came across. I guess '25 minutes' just hit my panic button knowing that Americans tend to grossly oversaturate and overcook rice.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:42 am

Jenise wrote:I guess '25 minutes' just hit my panic button knowing that Americans tend to grossly oversaturate and overcook rice.

Your thoughts are well taken, and I'm glad you added them to this thread.

That said, I'll just add that with my usual variables - cooking at a low 499 feet above sea level, usually using Arborio or Carnaroli that's typically been down a long pipeline to get to Louisville and then kept here in glass jars in the fridge, it usually takes me about 20 minutes to achieve what I consider as close as I can get to the just-al dente state of risottos I've loved in Friuli and Lombardia and the Veneto. And I honestly have seen it take a good 25 minutes when using old rice ... which it's probably better not to do anyway. ;)
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:15 am

Why is old rice a problem? I don't have any experience with aged carnaroli (it never lasts long enough around here!), but I know that aged Basmati is quite prized.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:38 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Why is old rice a problem? I don't have any experience with aged carnaroli (it never lasts long enough around here!), but I know that aged Basmati is quite prized.

I didn't say it was a problem exactly. ;)

I did say that it tends to dry out and then takes longer to rehydrate, i.e., longer cooking time.

I had one batch once, lost n the back of the fridge for months, that I thought took on a kind of musty taste. Not moldy or anything unpalatable, but just different. Some might prize that, but I wasn't used to it, and made a mental note to myself to try not to lose risotto rice in the back of the fridge again.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:36 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:Why is old rice a problem? I don't have any experience with aged carnaroli (it never lasts long enough around here!), but I know that aged Basmati is quite prized.

I didn't say it was a problem exactly. ;)

I did say that it tends to dry out and then takes longer to rehydrate, i.e., longer cooking time.

I had one batch once, lost n the back of the fridge for months, that I thought took on a kind of musty taste. Not moldy or anything unpalatable, but just different. Some might prize that, but I wasn't used to it, and made a mental note to myself to try not to lose risotto rice in the back of the fridge again.

Actually, aged basmati has a shorter cooking time than 'new' basmati.

Might not be the same with carnaroli, though. I too used a batch of old rice once, and I found it had acquired a rather cardboardy taste--didn't like it. The center of the kernel didn't hold it's firmness either, it didn't go soft, exactly, like overcooked rice would, it just seemed crumbly and that was not to its betterment.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:03 pm

Jenise wrote:Might not be the same with carnaroli, though. I too used a batch of old rice once, and I found it had acquired a rather cardboardy taste--didn't like it. The center of the kernel didn't hold it's firmness either, it didn't go soft, exactly, like overcooked rice would, it just seemed crumbly and that was not to its betterment.

I wish I had a more vivid memory. It's been a few years ago, and involved more than one batch of Arborio and/or Carnaroli that had been kept in the fridge past its shelf life. ;)

I can testify that the older risotto-type rice consistently took a really long time to come around. I expect the texture suffered simply because of the rehydration and long-cooking issues - your description would fit pretty well, I think, with a dry grain that had to be cooked until the outside got really soft before the center was done. I honestly don't recall a flavor issue, but the time and texture concerns were enough to teach me not to leave a the last little bit of the risotto rice in the fridge for extra months. As someone else in this thread said, we go through enough of the stuff that there's no reason to have old product around, anyway. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jeff Yeast

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 pm

Lexington, KY

by Jeff Yeast » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:13 am

Robin Garr wrote: and then kept here in glass jars in the fridge...

Is this the generally accepted way of storing arborio? Admittedly I am a novice risotto cook, but this is the first time I have heard of this practice. Does this hold for other rice varieties as well? Typically I transfer rice from its package into an air-tight plastic container and store it in the pantry.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:20 pm

Jeff Yeast wrote:

Is this the generally accepted way of storing arborio? Admittedly I am a novice risotto cook, but this is the first time I have heard of this practice. Does this hold for other rice varieties as well? Typically I transfer rice from its package into an air-tight plastic container and store it in the pantry.

Umm, I don't know if it's standard, but we're kind of obsessive about storing grains, pastas and such in airtight, cold containers (and some spices in the freezer) after having some weevil problems in pasta a while back. It seems to help.
no avatar
User

Jeff Yeast

Rank

Wine geek

Lexington, KY

by Jeff Yeast » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:59 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jeff Yeast wrote:

Umm, I don't know if it's standard, but we're kind of obsessive about storing grains, pastas and such in airtight, cold containers (and some spices in the freezer) after having some weevil problems in pasta a while back. It seems to help.

Thanks Robin. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something detrimental. I'm going to try this recipe this weekend.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:47 am

Jeff, if we had infestations like Robin survived we'd be wise to do otherwise at least for a time, but air tight pantry storage is typically all you need to do. Gosh, if I had to refrigerate all my grains, I'd need another fridge--there'd be no room for anything else. Robin, do you have a spare fridge in the garage or something?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:01 am

Jenise wrote:Robin, do you have a spare fridge in the garage or something?

Nope! It's a good-size side-by-side, though. :)

We don't do this with all the grains. Frankly, I'm not quite sure why I do it with Arborio but not regular rice or flour. It's just one of those habit things. Surely not necessary, but apparently not harmful.
no avatar
User

Jeff Yeast

Rank

Wine geek

Lexington, KY

by Jeff Yeast » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:11 pm

Jenise wrote:Jeff, if we had infestations like Robin survived we'd be wise to do otherwise at least for a time, but air tight pantry storage is typically all you need to do. Gosh, if I had to refrigerate all my grains, I'd need another fridge--there'd be no room for anything else. Robin, do you have a spare fridge in the garage or something?

Thanks! I hope I didn't come across as being critical of Robin's methods, it's just that I'm always under the impression that I am doing something wrong whenever I see it done another way :lol:
Last edited by Jeff Yeast on Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:23 pm

Jeff Yeast wrote:I hope I didn't come across as being critical Robin's methods, it's just that I'm always under the impression that I am doing something wrong whenever I see it done another way :lol:

Not at all, Jeff! Frankly, it's just a habit with me, and it's not a bad thing for me to recognize that I sometimes do that. ;)