Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Sfincione (sfeen-CHOO-nay)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

RCP: Sfincione (sfeen-CHOO-nay)

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:34 pm

Sicilian Sfincione

Topping:

2 lb tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 cl garlic, crushed or minced
2 small onions, chopped
1 tsp salt
scant 1/4 cup olive oil

Dough:

1-1/4 c warm milk
pinch of sugar
2 pkg yeast
3-1/3 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten

Accouterments

ripe olives, chopped
dried oregano
grated Parmesan or caciocavallo
olive oil

Make topping first: Combine, cover, set aside.

Dough: Stir sugar and yeast into warm milk. Proof for 5 min. Add rest of ingredients to make a dough. Knead 5-10 minutes til smooth and springy. Cover, rise 1/2-1 hour.

Assembly: Oil baking sheet. Punch down dough, lightly knead. Divide into 4-6 pieces. Roll out pieces, place on oiled sheet. (Don't roll out thin like regular pizza. I keep the diameter somewhere around 8-10 inches.) Top each with tomato mixture. Scatter olives, oregano, and cheese.

Baking: Preheated 425F oven (220C) for 20 minutes or until edges are browned. Sprinkle with a little olive oil.

Note: The whole process from beginning to eating can easily be done in less than 2 hours. The finished product should have a thick, crusty crust with a tender inside. If you slide them onto a stone instead of baking them on a sheet, be aware that the topping is very liquid and may make the crust stick to your peel if you preassemble them on a counter. Lots of cornmeal or flour, assembling them on the peel, or using parchment paper might make it easier on you. I use a stone in about the middle of the oven.

I also halve the topping recipe. I've found that it's sufficient for the amount of dough in the recipe.

This is a nice alternative to regular pizza because the topping has a brighter, less-cooked taste. With a green salad, there's nothing better. I guarantee guests will give you accolades.