Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sashimi knife?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Sashimi knife?

by Greg H » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:13 pm

I made sashimi last night and because I don't have a sashimi/sushi type knife, I used my long slicer that I sharpened prior to use. Seemed to work quite well. They do look spiffier and more authentic than my slicer, but are there any advantages afforded by having a knife designed for slicing raw fish versus using the one mentioned above?

Are there ones that forumites have found which are worth the investment?

G
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Sashimi knife?

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:18 pm

Greg Hollis wrote: are there any advantages afforded by having a knife designed for slicing raw fish versus using the one mentioned above?

Yes, you can use them to behead any errant Ronin that cross your path (reference to the segment of 60 Minutes last night that showed the tuna harvest and the sword-like knives used to butcher them).
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:12 pm

I had a talk with my Japanese colleague about this topic. He said that he can tell when sashimi has been sliced by someone not-Japanese (or not well trained) because you see the back and forth "sawing" marks on the fish. You are only allowed to move in one direction during a slice, make a long clean cut. That is why you need a fairly long knife.

I tried to ask about high end hand made knives, but he cut me off, "I just use a cheap one."

Function is the important thing.

F
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks. I chose my longest slicer so that I could make the cut in one motion, no sawing back and forth, and it worked well. Sounds like I can save the money and spend it on wine. Wait if I spend it on wine, is that really saving money? :lol:
no avatar
User

Jim Drouillard

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:05 pm

Richardson TX

by Jim Drouillard » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:48 pm

I make custom knives as well as spend a lot of time in the kitchen.

There are two types of sashimi knives - tako hiki (blunt tipped) & yanagi ba (pointed tip)

The main differences in a sashimi knife & a standard kitchen knife are that the sashimi knife is only sharpened on side & always for a right handed person. If it were sharpened on both sides the rear side (against the meat) would compress and damage the meat. The traditional Japanese techniques are very rigid to the point that they will not certify a left-handed chef, at least that I know of.

Japanese kitchen knives also use laminated steels, as do several other traditional knives from other countries such as Sweden. They forge-weld one (on knives sharpened on one side only) or two (on a knife sharpened on both sides) pieces of lower carbon steels on the out side of higher carbon steel. This allows you a greater toughness with the harder steel that retains the better edge.

Jim
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:44 am

Jim Drouillard wrote:
There are two types of sashimi knives - tako hiki (blunt tipped) & yanagi ba (pointed tip)

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for your reply. Are the two types of sashimi knives used for different purposes? Does one have an advantage over the other?

I tend to use pointed carvers for uses where I may need to manipulate around bones, for instance poultry, and blunt end carvers for slicing as in boneless roasts. That doesn't appear to relevant for sashimi.

Greg
no avatar
User

Jim Drouillard

Rank

Wine geek

Richardson TX

by Jim Drouillard » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:07 am

I haven't had a chance to get any official training on how to cut sashimi (much to my frustration) so I don't know much about the differences. The only ones I know are from observation of the Iron Chiefs :D .

Your slicer, especially if it has the indentations (I think they're called grantons?), will work fine for sashimi. I have a 16" fillet knife that I use for slicing & while I haven't had a sushi master inspect my work I haven't had any complaints. Granted I'm the only one in a family of two that will touch it so....

You will want a fairly stiff blade though for an even cut. My fillet knife doesn't bend anywhere near what most do.

Jim
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:00 pm

Jim, thank you ! I've always wondered what the difference in the knives were. There is a food show over here that recently did a special on Japanese food, and I've just found this comment on their website :

Knives - Japanese knives are very different to Western knives in that the blade is only along one side - important for cutting fish for sashimi and sushi as sharp cuts leave less surface area to oxidize.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:48 pm

I agree that the knife should be long and sharp enough to make a single cut through the fillet. Edged on one side is a plus.

However, as I'm sure everyone agrees, the most important thing is washing (or wiping with a wet cloth) whatever knife used, between cuts.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:30 am

celia wrote:Jim, thank you ! I've always wondered what the difference in the knives were. There is a food show over here that recently did a special on Japanese food, and I've just found this comment on their website :

Knives - Japanese knives are very different to Western knives in that the blade is only along one side - important for cutting fish for sashimi and sushi as sharp cuts leave less surface area to oxidize.

I am intrigued by the one edged blade mimimizing oxidation, I presume by limiting surface area generated by the cut. Are there links that talk about this that someone could point out to me?

Thanks.

G
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:58 pm

Greg Hollis wrote: Wait if I spend it on wine, is that really saving money? :lol:

Hubby says no, but I say yes. And I keep on saving!!!!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Drouillard

Rank

Wine geek

Richardson TX

by Jim Drouillard » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:41 pm

If I understand the theory correctly the wedge shape compresses the flesh and damages the cells allowing for more oixdation. A single edge just glides over the already cut surface. I know I couldn't taste the differance.

Here is an blown up version of the idea.

Jim