Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Leftovers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Drouillard

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:05 pm

Richardson TX

Leftovers

by Jim Drouillard » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:57 pm

Hi,

I was going through a holiday issue of a magazine when I came across an article on sandwiches using leftovers from prime rib. It was funny considering the long thread on prime ribs just before the holidays & I thought you folks might like it. It also got me thinking what other ways do you leftovers in something beside nuked lunches (flaming turkey wings)?
Leftovers:

Prime Rib Sandwich with Roasted-Garlic Dijonaise
Serves four

The sandwich is better if the beef isn’t refrigerator-cold, so either let the sliced beef warm at room temperature for about 15 minutes, or warm the sandwiches in the residual heat from the broiler after you’ve toasted the rolls.

For the dijonnaise:
6 cloves garlic, peeled
3 springs rosemary (3 to 4 inches each)
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
Several pinches kosher salt
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. Dijon mustard

To assemble the sandwiches:
4 sandwich rolls, such as Kaiser or club rolls
12 oz. thinly sliced leftover prime rib (about 2 cups)
2 cups sliced onion, sautéed
2 cups sliced mushrooms, sautéed

Make the Dijonnaise: Heat the oven to 350F. Put the garlic in the center of a square of foil and arrange the rosemary sprigs on top. Drizzle the oil over the rosemary and garlic, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Gather the foil around the garlic into a pouch and put the pouch in a pie plate or other small baking dish (incase the oil leaks). Roast until the garlic is light golden brown and completely soft, about 30 minutes. Open the foil and let cool briefly. Discard the rosemary sprigs. Transfer the garlic to a small bowl and reserve the oil in the foil. Mash the garlic with the back of a spoon, and then stir the mayonnaise, mustard, ½ teaspoon of the garlic-rosemary oil, and a small pinch of salt.

Assemble the Sandwiches:
Position a rack 3 to 4 inches from the broiler element and heat the broiler on high. Slice the rolls in half, set cut sides up on a baking sheet, and brush with the remaining rosemary-garlic oil. Toast under the broiler until golden brown, about 1 minute. Spread some Dijonnaise on the top and bottom of each roll. Arrange the beef over the bottom halves along with the sautéed onions and mushrooms and replace with the tops.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When I sauté onions I put them in a pan with enough water to cover the onions, a generous sprinkle of salt, a bit of white wine (great place to use more leftovers) and a bit of olive oil. I cover and cook on medium heat until the onions are translucent. I uncover and than cook most of the liquids away. I add some butter (I have a heavy hand on it for following reasons) and cook until lightly brown.

I remove just the onions and leave the oil & butter behind. I than throw in the mushrooms and cook them until they release their moister. I turn up the heat to medium-high and brown them. I add the onions back and toss to combine flavors.

Jim
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Leftovers

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:44 pm

Leftovers at our house are usually lunch the next day for Gene. When we have leftover roast, I like to make au jus sandwiches for dinner the next night. I slice up the roast, and put it into the au jus to simmer slowly. We pile the meat on top of fresh sourdough sandwich rolls that have been slathered with horseradish. Dip in juice and eat! If I have leftover halibut, or sea bass, it goes into tacos. Salmon gets made into salmon cakes. However, usually I grab the fish first for lunch along with making a small salad. :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:49 pm

Jim Drouillard wrote:It also got me thinking what other ways do you leftovers in something beside nuked lunches (flaming turkey wings)?

Jim, I almost always prefer to use leftovers as an ingredient in a new dish rather than as a sandwich, although I might make an exception to that rule for steaks or prime rib. 8)

The other night we roasted a couple of big turkey thighs, slicing off hot medallions for dinner.

Second night I carved off most of the remaining meat and made it into a quick curry to get in the mood for a marathon DVD session with Lagaan, a Bollywood spectacle.

And today Mary turned the bones and scraps into turkey noodle soup for lunch. Works for me!

Most often I'll "repurpose" leftover meat by cutting it into chunks and building some kind of stir-fry, curry or pasta sauce on the fly.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:19 pm

Robin Garr wrote:The other night we roasted a couple of big turkey thighs, slicing off hot medallions for dinner.

Where do you find turkey thighs? Our stores don't carry them anymore.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:11 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:Where do you find turkey thighs? Our stores don't carry them anymore.

Oh, that's terrible, Linda! We love turkey thighs and cook them often. I usually get them from a neat little meat store in a suburban town across the river in Southern Indiana that carries meat and poultry from local farmers - the thighs come frozen, but they seem just like fresh when thawed and cooked.

Also, Whole Foods here has them most of the time, but I try to be a locavore and buy local when I can.