Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Making Pizza

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Making Pizza

by Robert J. » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:11 am

I'm making pizza with my son tonight. Can somebody throw me a good dough recipe? (You'd think I'd have one but my cook books are not with me at the moment and I can't remember my favorite one.) Oh, great Princess of Chat, Center of all the Universe, I plead for thy help.

rwj
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Making Pizza

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:29 am

3 c Tipo Fino 00
1/2 c semolina
1 to 1.5 c water, with 1 tbs honey dissolved in it
1 packet yeast
1 tbs salt
3 tbs olive oil

You know what to do from here. 8)
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:38 am

Thanks bro. You rule.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:15 pm

Robert J. wrote:I'm making pizza with my son tonight. Can somebody throw me a good dough recipe? (You'd think I'd have one but my cook books are not with me at the moment and I can't remember my favorite one.) Oh, great Princess of Chat, Center of all the Universe, I plead for thy help.

Here's another approach with fewer ingredients than Stuart's, technically compliant with the Neapolitan DOC regs for pizza. ;) (Modified, though, by using American flour. Use Stuart's Tipo Fino 00 and semolina blend in this recipe and you'll be like eating in Naples, except maybe for that 800-degree oven thingie.)

Pizza Margherita
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:06 pm

Here's mine :

500g bread flour
10g dried yeast
10g salt
50g EVOO
320g water

Knead, allow to rise for an hour, knock back. Divide into four, roll out thinly on a sheet of Bake, parbake in hot oven on pizza stone for a couple of minutes. Throw away the parchment paper, add topping, back in oven until done. Makes a nice thin crispy crust. Because it's so thin, we find parbaking makes it more manageable.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:38 pm

And boy did we ever. Speaking of the boy, he is now soundly asleep in his T-Rex pajamas wrapped up in his Superman sheets.

Colin's Cheese Pizza.
2198921168_22dd078409.jpg

My Pizza with Spinach, Roasted Garlic, Roasted Tomatoes, and Parmigiano Reggiano.
2198922710_edfd63ca16.jpg

rwj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:29 am

It's a great activity to do with the kids. I can see that Colin has inherited your sense of form.

God help me, we made some minipizzas in an Easy Bake oven....
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:02 am

celia wrote:Here's mine :

500g bread flour
10g dried yeast
10g salt
50g EVOO
320g water

Knead, allow to rise for an hour, knock back. Divide into four, roll out thinly on a sheet of Bake, parbake in hot oven on pizza stone for a couple of minutes. Throw away the parchment paper, add topping, back in oven until done. Makes a nice thin crispy crust. Because it's so thin, we find parbaking makes it more manageable.

I also use the par-baking approach in my kitchen oven, which I can only get up to 550 F. I have a Big Green Egg that I use for smoking low and slow, but I hear is capable of being used in the 700-800 F range. Anyone use this type of cooker for pizza?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:14 am

We have a Big Green Egg at work and, yes, they can get 800+ degrees. I've never cooked a pizza on it, though.

rwj 8) :evil: :roll: (Colin is with me as I type and he likes to put smilies up)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:06 am

I had an Easy Bake oven when I was a kid.

Yes, some of my friends do pizza on their BGE. Works well.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:25 am

I borrowed a stone and peel from work. The crust was wonderful.

rwj
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:28 am

Robert J. wrote:We have a Big Green Egg at work and, yes, they can get 800+ degrees. I've never cooked a pizza on it, though.

rwj 8) :evil: :roll: (Colin is with me as I type and he likes to put smilies up)

Thanks Robert and Cynthia,

I will have to give it a try. I am using a computer controller to maintain temperature in the BGE accurately, I have never pushed it above 350 F this way and usually use it around 220 F. I guess I will find out if the controller can handle 800 F.

G
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:28 pm

Greg Hollis wrote:I also use the par-baking approach in my kitchen oven, which I can only get up to 550 F. I have a Big Green Egg that I use for smoking low and slow, but I hear is capable of being used in the 700-800 F range. Anyone use this type of cooker for pizza?

Greg, I do have a Kamado Kooker and know lots of people who have done pizza on theirs, though I have not...yet. I have had mine up past 750 degrees for over an hour, and 750 is the max my thermometer goes to so the needle was going around for the second time. I did that to self clean the inside including the cooking grid. worked like a charm. How long have you had the BGE? And how do you like it. What size is it? IMO the ceramic kooker is the only way to go.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:34 pm

Greg Hollis wrote:
Robert J. wrote:Thanks Robert and Cynthia,I will have to give it a try. I am using a computer controller to maintain temperature in the BGE accurately, I have never pushed it above 350 F this way and usually use it around 220 F. I guess I will find out if the controller can handle 800 F. G

Gregg, is the controller you speak of the Bbq Guru? Does it have two probes? If so, I don't think the wiring on the probes can take 800 degrees. I think that it is made of silicone and I would not take mine up over 400.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:59 am

Bob Henrick wrote:
Greg Hollis wrote:I also use the par-baking approach in my kitchen oven, which I can only get up to 550 F. I have a Big Green Egg that I use for smoking low and slow, but I hear is capable of being used in the 700-800 F range. Anyone use this type of cooker for pizza?

Greg, I do have a Kamado Kooker and know lots of people who have done pizza on theirs, though I have not...yet. I have had mine up past 750 degrees for over an hour, and 750 is the max my thermometer goes to so the needle was going around for the second time. I did that to self clean the inside including the cooking grid. worked like a charm. How long have you had the BGE? And how do you like it. What size is it? IMO the ceramic kooker is the only way to go.

I have had the BGE for a little less than a year and I am really happy with it. I have other grills that I use for searing, but the BGE is fantastic with the low and slow demands of bbq, or as an outdoor roasting device. I think the size is the large, it is one step down from the biggest and will certainly hold my pizza stone comfortably. The Kamado's certainly look very nice and from what I hear are great cookers.

G
Last edited by Greg H on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:03 am

Bob Henrick wrote:
Greg Hollis wrote:
Robert J. wrote:Thanks Robert and Cynthia,I will have to give it a try. I am using a computer controller to maintain temperature in the BGE accurately, I have never pushed it above 350 F this way and usually use it around 220 F. I guess I will find out if the controller can handle 800 F. G

Gregg, is the controller you speak of the Bbq Guru? Does it have two probes? If so, I don't think the wiring on the probes can take 800 degrees. I think that it is made of silicone and I would not take mine up over 400.

I am using the stoker controller, see link below. The wiring for the probes are covered, read not metal. You are probably right, they won't stand up to 800 F. Still, it would be nice to use the fan to drive the fire and hold it at that temp.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/stoker/stoker1.htm
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:34 pm

Your Stoker is a more recent monitor than my Bbq Guru, but it is still limited to heat up to 450 degrees. When I got my Guru, I ordered the 10CFM fan instead of the default 4CFM and I am glad I did. I should have gotten the 10' wires for the probes instead of the 6' ones that was the default wires. I think any hotter than about 500 will melt your probe wires. I only use the guru for low and slow because it is just too darned hard for me to keep the kooker going for 20-24 hours without having to check it and depending on weather etc, having to readjust the damper and draft. With the guru, I set it and forget it and it rocks along for 20 hours right at 210 or whatever I set it for. Your really need to try the BGE for things like a pork loin or baking hen or a turkey at 350-400 degrees if you haven't already. It Kooks and actually it keeps roasts or fowl more moist than any other kind of grill OR oven I have ever tried. Is your BGE cooking grid 18" diameter? My K7 has a 22" lower grid and an 18" upper cooking grid. I am amazed at the quality of the finished meats, and vegetables.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:12 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Your Stoker is a more recent monitor than my Bbq Guru, but it is still limited to heat up to 450 degrees. When I got my Guru, I ordered the 10CFM fan instead of the default 4CFM and I am glad I did. I should have gotten the 10' wires for the probes instead of the 6' ones that was the default wires. I think any hotter than about 500 will melt your probe wires. I only use the guru for low and slow because it is just too darned hard for me to keep the kooker going for 20-24 hours without having to check it and depending on weather etc, having to readjust the damper and draft. With the guru, I set it and forget it and it rocks along for 20 hours right at 210 or whatever I set it for. Your really need to try the BGE for things like a pork loin or baking hen or a turkey at 350-400 degrees if you haven't already. It Kooks and actually it keeps roasts or fowl more moist than any other kind of grill OR oven I have ever tried. Is your BGE cooking grid 18" diameter? My K7 has a 22" lower grid and an 18" upper cooking grid. I am amazed at the quality of the finished meats, and vegetables.

Thanks Bob. Yes it is an 18" cooking grid. I have done quite a few things low and slow, but you are right, it is time to expand its use into roasts and pizza. Any recipes you care to share?

One thing the Stoker can do, but I haven't tried it yet, is monitor the cooker from my laptop wirelessly. Talk about geeky!

Greg