Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Glorious Loaves

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Glorious Loaves

by Robert J. » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:45 pm

I made bread today too. My son loves this stuff.

2198918878_9dafe49ce5.jpg

2198920028_5c74580d8a.jpg

rwj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Re: Glorious Loaves

by Celia » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:54 pm

Beautiful, Cowboy !!!
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jeff Yeast

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 pm

Lexington, KY

by Jeff Yeast » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:14 pm

Very nice :!:

Would anyone be kind enough to direct me to a bread-making primer, either here or elsewhere on the internet? I have always wanted to try my hand at it, but it seems very intimidating. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:37 pm

Jeff, making bread like these loaves is very, very easy. White loaves like these are a great place to start as the dough is very forgiving. When you start using other types of flours and whole grains or different types of loaves it can get trickier but the basic method stays the same. Here is my recipe for the loaves you see here.

2.5 cups Warm water (100 * or so)
1 package Yeast (I use Hodgson Mill)
1 Tbsp. Sugar
4 Tbsp EVOO
1 Tbsp Sea Salt
6.5 - 7 cups King Arthur Bread flour

Dissolve the sugar and yeast in the 1/2 cup of the warm water. When it is nice and puffy add the other two cups of warm water, EVOO, and sea salt. Stir to dissolve the salt.

Add 3 cups of the flour and stir with a fork until the flour is incorporated. Add 3 more cups of flour and stir until the dough starts to come together. You may find it helpful to now switch to a sturdy wooden spoon with which to stir. If the dough still seems wet and is clinging to the sides of the bowl, add a little more flour (1/4 cup) and stir until the dough pulls away from the bowl and comes together in a ball.

Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface (wooden cutting board in my case) and knead for 10-12 minutes. This is my favorite part of making bread. Really work the dough with the heels of your palms while pressing, folding, and turning the dough. Add flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking to the surface. When the dough is smooth and satin looking drop it into a lightly oiled bowl, top side down. Now turn the ball of dough over, cover the bowl with a warm, damp cloth, and allow the dough to rise (in a warm spot; in a turned-off oven in my case) until doubled in bulk, about 2 hours.

Gently deflate the risen dough, shape into a smooth ball again and divide in half. Shape each half into a ball so that the outside is smooth and satiny. Press one ball into a rectangle and roll the top of the rectangle down to the bottom (like a jelly roll). Pinch the seams together, pull the ends over and pinch those seams together, too. Drop the loaf, seam side down, into a WELL BUTTERED loaf pan (seriously, grease the shit out of it). Repeat this process with the other ball of dough.

Cover the pans with a warm damp cloth and allow to rise, as before (but not in the oven this time) until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes to an hour. While the loaves are rising preheat the oven to 375*.

Bake the loaves at 375* for 35-45 minutes. Do not open the oven until at least 20 minutes have passed and you need to rotate the loaves. The Bread Gods frown on opening the oven too soon. After 35 minutes test one loaf to see if it is done. Turn the loaf out of the pan and insert and instant read thermometer into the bottom. It should read 200*. If your loaf isn't done just drop it back into the pan and put it back in the oven. When the loaves are done turn them onto a cooling rack and wait about 30 minutes to slice.

Check out "Baking with Julia" by Dorie Greenspan for some great recipes and loaf ideas. There are other great books too. Deborah Madison has some good recipes in her books, too.

rwj
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:04 pm

Jeff Yeast wrote:Very nice :!:

Would anyone be kind enough to direct me to a bread-making primer, either here or elsewhere on the internet? I have always wanted to try my hand at it, but it seems very intimidating. Thanks!

Jeff, we bake sourdough bread - here are some good starting points :

http://www.northwestsourdough.com (the starters I use - have a look at her blog as well)

http://sourdough.com.au/beginners%2526% ... 2C-scratch

http://sourdom.sourdough.net.au/

If you're interested in making bread using commercial yeast, see if you can track down a copy of Richard Bertinet's book Dough. Actually, it's a fantastic place to begin any breadmaking - there is a dvd attached which simplifies the whole process.

Oh, and just turned up this GREAT blog on No Knead Bread, which was the "in" thing a year or so ago..

http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/09/1 ... revisited/

Cheers, Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jeff Yeast

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 pm

Lexington, KY

by Jeff Yeast » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:19 pm

Thanks Robert for the recipe, I think I'll take a stab at it this weekend. Celia, I'll check out those links, thanks!