Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

First trip to Penzey's!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

First trip to Penzey's!

by Jenise » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:39 pm

A few days ago I had the opportunity to visit a real brick and mortar Penzey's store in California. And in spite of the fact that just four days before I'd placed a big order (I order every six months, a schedule driven by how long a half pound of black peppercorns lasts me), I found another $90 worth of stuff I just had to have. Aren't all of you who have a Penzey's store nearby lucky! It makes such a difference to be able to smell the items you're considering--I bought a few things I'd have never bought otherwise.

One of those was an herb sprinkle called Sunny Paris. I'm not one to buy pre-blended seasonings, but this one had an enchanting aroma. Can't remember what's in it, haven't used it yet and I don't know what I'm going to use it for, but I couldn't resist. I also bought their chicken and vegetable bases to try. Base isn't something I use routinely, rather it's something to have on hand for emergencies when I am out of my own stock or canned, and I decided to try the vegetable base for the same purpose--I have a new good friend who is a vegetarian, and hope this will give me a shortcut with which to cook safely for Vanessa.

Another thing I bought was Vietnamese cinnamon. Only months ago I bought a fresh bottle of Cassia from Penzey's so I was in no mood to find the Vietnamese superior. But it instantly and obviously was. If any of you have been on the fence about whether it would be worth it to you, hesitate no more. I'll blow off the cassia in mixed dishes and save the Vietnamesse for things like cinnamon toast and baked apples.

Oh, and I need to mention that while there I checked on the Extra Bold vs. Tellicherry thing. I'd been sure that the Extra Bold was a version of Tellicherry, but Karen reported back after I posted a thread reccomending it that Penzey's didn't list the Extra Bold as Tellicherry. Well, EB is definitely tellicherry--it's just this freaky large berry that's naturally occuring among regular berries at a rate of about 5% of the harvest. Penzey's has just been inconsistent with the way they list it on the website.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Yeast

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 pm

Lexington, KY

Re: First trip to Penzey's!

by Jeff Yeast » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:49 pm

Nice. I would love to visit a B&M Penzey's. As for their bases, we have gotten a lot of use out of the chicken and the seafood base. We use them mostly to season rice, but also it's more convenient than clam juice for seafood risotto, an Idea I got from Robin, though I still haven't been able to find his brand locally.
Last edited by Jeff Yeast on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:32 pm

Jenise, you will not be disappointed with the Vietnamese cinnamon. It is wonderful. I really love their Parisien Bonnes Herbes, which is chives, dill weed,basil French Tarragon, chervil and white pepper. Although not listed, mine had what looked like dried green onion slices. Excellent on scrambled eggs, and cornish game hens. In fact, I have liked all their products. I order twice a year, and they always send me free samples. Wish we had a store here.
Let me know how you like the bases you bought.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:30 am

And another one here to agree with you on the Vietnamese cinnamon. That stuff is amazing.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:46 am

Okay! Never heard of Penzey's until I joined this forum. You've convinced me. I'm going to make a large order this weekend.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:51 am

We're fortunate to have a Penzey B&M about 5 miles from home (whoda thunk we'd have a store in Indy). We drop by often and even when we really don't need anything in particular we almost always leave with at least a few items.
The Vietnamese Cinnamon doesn't last very long at Casa Redwinger.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:58 am

I use that Vietnamese cinnamon every day in my oatmeal. I also use it in everything else that calls for cinnamon. You just can't beat it.

rwj
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:21 am

All this Penzey's Viet. Cinnamon chat has made me hungry. I've just about talked NJ into mixing up a batch of Cinnamon Buns/rolls later today. Yummmmm.
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:50 am

One of the real foodie treats we do have in this frozen tundra is a Penzey's store. Glad you got to experience one. I am with you on the instant distaste for pre-mixed combo seasonings but one I always have on hand is Penzey's Fox Point Seasoning- it is wonderful for steamed veg/eggs/fish/veal. The other mix I always grab is their chile powder - terrific mix of chiles/cumin etc and in the heat to your taste. I almost never use the mixes as is but rather in pinches to deepen the complexity of flavors. Some I stay away from are the curry mixes/ garam masala- I prefer to do my own. Going into the store is both soothing and exciting - deep breathing the scents and racing thoughts about what you could do with all the spices.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:44 pm

Christina, I don't remember sniffing the Fox Point. But I did sniff the Chile Powder, which smells just like my own tacos which I make by combining things--it smelled so right-on that I did pause long enough to ask myself if it wouldn't be easier to let Penzey's do my blending for me.

Oh, something else I bought that I forgot to mention? Dehydrated jalapenos pepper pieces. I'm a big fan of Penzey's dehydrated vegetables--the celery and the bell peppers are things I use all the time. The celery never fully rehydrates no matter how long you cook it, and the result is these interesting little chewy celery bits in some soups that is texturally more exciting than fresh celery would have been--like in clam chowder. I sometimes use both in combination. Never even saw the jalapenos when I've been shopping on line (they were probably there, I just missed them in my haste) but I coudn't resist when I saw them in person. I can see them fitting into a lot of things I cook--would be texturally interesting in a chili verde, for instance, in addition to the fine roasted New Mexico hatch chiles Larry enables my addiction to.

Jo Ann, you're about to become an addict like the rest of us. Vietnamese cinnamon, I repeat, Vietnamese cinnamon....
Oh, and there IS, if you're ever down there, a real Penzey's store in Portland. They're sniffing around Seattle for a location now too, the ladies in Manhattan Beach told me (one was a native of Bellingham--quite the coincidence).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Drouillard

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:05 pm

Richardson TX

by Jim Drouillard » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:52 pm

I love the Penzey's near my house. I started with them mail order years ago. Than they opened a store in KCMO and my company moved me to Dallas!!! They opened up a store here a year or two ago & 2 to 3 times a year I restock. I love getting the spices in smaller container for a quicker turn around.

The Fox Point is awesome on baked chicken. I love coming home taking a couple thighs sprinkle the fox point & some salt. Another good mix is the Herbs de Province. It is a great addition to chicken rice, my wife's favorite meal.

I love using the Vietnamese cinnamon for strong flavored dished like doughnuts & cookies but I will say I use the Cassia on the dishes I want a more subtle taste such as apple pie.

Jim
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:43 pm

Jenise wrote:Oh, and there IS, if you're ever down there, a real Penzey's store in Portland. They're sniffing around Seattle for a location now too, the ladies in Manhattan Beach told me (one was a native of Bellingham--quite the coincidence).

Lawd 'amercy ,I think I'll make an event of it and take the train to Portland just for this shopping experience. And coming to Seattle -- makes a girl all wobbly in the knees to think about it! I'll keep you posted.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:58 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Lawd 'amercy ,I think I'll make an event of it and take the train to Portland just for this shopping experience. And coming to Seattle -- makes a girl all wobbly in the knees to think about it! I'll keep you posted.

Just realize that the Penzey's store in Portland is not downtown but instead in a strip mall in the 'burbs near I-205. So despite Portland's relatively excellent mass transit, you might need a cab to get there. I made the pilgrimage that location as a pit stop on the way to California a couple years ago.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:10 pm

Jeff Yeast wrote:Nice. I would love to visit a B&M Penzey's. As for their bases, we have gotten a lot of use out of the chicken and the seafood base. We use them mostly to season rice, but also it's more convenient than clam juice for seafood risotto, an Idea I got from Robin, though I still haven't been able to find his brand locally.

Jeff, was that Minor's Clam Base? Although I don't usually get mine there, Liquor Barn carries it in Louisville, which makes me strongly suspect that they do in Lexington, too. (The brand is also available at quite a few of our local specialty grocers, including Lotsa Pasta, Doll's and Burger's. I assume LEX has an equivalent to these. I don't think you'll find it in Kroger or Meijer, though.
no avatar
User

Jeff Yeast

Rank

Wine geek

Lexington, KY

by Jeff Yeast » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jeff Yeast wrote:Nice. I would love to visit a B&M Penzey's. As for their bases, we have gotten a lot of use out of the chicken and the seafood base. We use them mostly to season rice, but also it's more convenient than clam juice for seafood risotto, an Idea I got from Robin, though I still haven't been able to find his brand locally.

Jeff, was that Minor's Clam Base? Although I don't usually get mine there, Liquor Barn carries it in Louisville, which makes me strongly suspect that they do in Lexington, too. (The brand is also available at quite a few of our local specialty grocers, including Lotsa Pasta, Doll's and Burger's. I assume LEX has an equivalent to these. I don't think you'll find it in Kroger or Meijer, though.

That's the one. I looked all over Lexington for it, LB included, to no avail, though that was a while ago and I should probably check again.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:08 pm

Jeff Yeast wrote:I looked all over Lexington for it, LB included, to no avail, though that was a while ago and I should probably check again.

Well, huh. I just assumed that the LBs, or the larger ones, anyway, would have consitent inventory across the chain.

I assume you're looking in the freezer cases, same general area where they keep stuff like Wolfgang Puck pizzas and such. Small round white plastic tubs about the size and shape of ice cream pints.
no avatar
User

Jeff Yeast

Rank

Wine geek

Lexington, KY

by Jeff Yeast » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:58 pm

As luck would have it, we're going to be in Indianapolis next weekend and there is a B&M Penzey's in that town! If you guys don't hear from me again, I'll have died of Vietnamese cinnamon poisoning! :lol:
no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm

by Ron C » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:34 pm

Penzey's=sensory overload! :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:19 pm

Jeff Yeast wrote:As luck would have it, we're going to be in Indianapolis next weekend and there is a B&M Penzey's in that town! If you guys don't hear from me again, I'll have died of Vietnamese cinnamon poisoning! :lol:

LOL, Jeff. But what a way to go!

Ron C wrote:Penzey's=sensory overload! :D

I refuse to believe there's any such thing. :wink: