Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: The best lasagna ever (Lasagna Bolognese)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: The best lasagna ever (Lasagna Bolognese)

by Jenise » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:25 pm

My first lasagna experience was at a childhood church picnic. The sauce was unseasoned tomato sauce straight from the can, the meat was plain ground beef, and the cheese layer was cottage cheese. So lasagna immediately went on my hate list, and I was living on my own and lunching at a little family-run immigrant Italian style restaurant in downtown Los Angeles some ten years later before I encountered lasagna again and realized the extent to which I'd been duped.

I've been fascinated with the dish ever since.

And discovered that there are a million different ways to make it. It took me years, though, to get away from using what I normally made for a spaghetti sauce such that my version of lasagna was simply a different construction of noodles and sauce with two cheese layers. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it both can and deserves to be a dish with it's own unique personality, and these days my forays into lasagna making have really been more about exploring and enjoying the diversity of other possibilities. And so a few weeks ago I was sitting in a doctor's waiting room and perusing a several years old copy of a Gourmet magazine and fell into deep lust over a recipe called Lasagna Bolognese. I brought the key elements home in my head and yesterday afternoon made my own version of that which turned out to be the most elegant, the most subtly complex lasagna I've ever had.

Thankfully, I took notes. And a picture:
DSC02625.JPG

The magic in this dish is the nearly one quart of besciamella (nutmeg spiced white sauce) that is not only the topping for the lasagna, but the moisture absorbed into each layer of fresh (make your own or purchase) lasagna noodles. There is no ricotta, only a sprinkling of parmesan on each layer which infuses the pie with a nutty pungence. Delicately thin fresh pasta of your own making should may result in five to seven layers, but if you use storebought (as I went out for yesterday afternoon, the extra hour on my feet to make my own would have killed me) your noodles might be a tad thicker and restrict you to five layers in a 2" deep pan. Your pan should be approximately 9 x 12 or 13, and the finished pie will serve 6 - 8 (the piece shown above was 1/6th).

For the meat sauce/filling:

EVOO and butter
2 carrots, finely diced
2 celery ribs, finely diced
1 medium onion, finely diced
five cloves garlic, minced
About 3 ounces pancetta
1 lb ground veal
1 lb ground pork
3 ounces (half a typical can) of tomato paste
1 cup whole milk
1 cup dry white wine
3 basil leaves, finely chopped, or 2 pinches dried
salt and pepper to taste

For the besciamella:

5 tblsp butter
3 tblsp flour
3 cups whole milk
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg

Also:

1 cup grated parmigiano reggiano
2 tblsp olive oil

First, make the meat filling. Put enough butter and olive oil in a 6-8 quart pot (Dutch oven is perfect) to sweat the vegetables until tender, about ten minutes. Then add the ground meats and pancetta and cook until the meat cooks through and begins to crumble. Break up any lumps and add the milk, wine, basil, pepper and tomato paste. Simmer for at least one hour, then salt to taste and allow the sauce to reduce if neccessary, uncovered, to make a thick, but not dry, sauce.

While the meat filling is cooking, prepare the besciamella per classic white sauce methods: make the roux (melt the butter, add flour), let it cook for a few minutes, then add hot milk (scald it first and it won't form so much skin), nutmeg and salt. Simmer on low heat for about ten minutes to completely cook the flour, then set aside.

Blanch the pasta: bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 2 tblsp of vegetable oil to help prevent sticking (purists will tell you that this is an unneccessary step if you don't crowd the pot, but I've always found it useful). Drop in a few leaves of pasta at a time and fish them out in a minute or less, laying out on towels to drain and dry.

A note about pasta quantity: My pasta sheets were longer than my pan but half a sheet was about the width, so I cut the sheets in half and planned to use three overlapping pieces per layer. I ended up with four layers needing 12 pieces.

Assemble the lasagna: put a ladle full of meat sauce on the bottom of the pan with 2 tblsp EVOO and about two tblsp of parmesan. Top with the first layer of pasta, then cover the pasta with a ladle (about half a cup) of the white sauce. (You basically need to reserve one cup of white sauce for the topping and divide the remainder among the number of layers you expect to make.) Now top the white sauce with the meat filling: if you're making five layers of pasta, then distribute one fourth of the sauce now), and two more tablespoons of the parmigiano. Repeat, topping the last layer of pasta with the final cup of the besciamella and the remaining parmesan. If you like (I liked), sprinkle more basil on top and black pepper.

Bake lasagna uncovered at 350 until golden and bubbling, about 45 minutes if you bake it immediately after assembly when the ingredients are room temperature or warm. It will take more time if the lasagna is chilled before baking. Allow the pie to rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting.

We enjoyed this with a 99 Monti Barbera from Italy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: RCP: The best lasagna ever (Lasagna Bolognese)

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:37 pm

That is beautiful, Jenise! I adore lasagna.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:32 pm

I really like lasagna and have had more than my fair share of wretched versions in my lifetime. Your recipe sounds delicious. Also, I note that you served it with a Barbera. Would a white wine work with this recipe?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:48 pm

Dave, interesting question. The Barbera worked especially well less because it was barbera (vs. sangiovese, say) than because it was nine years old--the eathery nuances of secondary development is what really nailed the match. The acidity and fruit of a white wine would also work quite well--all the milk that gets soaked into this lasagna plus the softening effect of the generous mirepoix creates a dish that's gently creamy. I would, in fact, choose white over a brash, young red.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:12 pm

Beautiful ! I can taste it just reading the recipe . I automatically turn my nose up at the "everything but the kitchen sink" type of lasagna - no offense intended to anyone but I am a firm believer in less is more when it comes to lasagna. The simple elements always appeal to me.

One variation you might like is basically your recipe substituting a mushroom ragu - porcini and other mushrooms-- for the meat. Heavenly with the balsamella, parm and pasta like sheets of silk.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:52 pm

Yep, I can see where that would be quite tasty.

You're very close to what was probably the original lasagna Bolognese served in Emilia-Romagna.

I *do* use ricotta - and mozzarella - and make a Bolognese sauce (ragu) that's simmered for several hours.

Only takes a few minutes to make the noodles.

It ain't "real" lasagna without the bechamel.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:02 pm

Gorgeous, Jenise ! I'm amazed how much milk went into the recipe, and I really like the "white" look of it. Bright red lasagna puts me off. I think a golden aged riesling would be lovely with this...

Thanks for the recipe !

Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:04 pm

AWESOME Jenise! My husband would never eat my lasagna because he doesn't like ricotta cheese...this seems like the perfect solution...plus, it will be a nice change from our regular Sunday "spaghetti" Bolognese.

Christina - YUM...I love the idea of substituting mushrooms. I will definitely try it! Thanks for the idea.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:33 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:I *do* use ricotta - and mozzarella - and make a Bolognese sauce (ragu) that's simmered for several hours.

Only takes a few minutes to make the noodles.

It ain't "real" lasagna without the bechamel.

The sauce SHOULD simmer for several hours. An hour's okay, though more time produces more flavor and tenderer meat.

Joseph, I love making pasta and prefer to make my own. I'm not so sure about "a couple of minutes" especially including set up and clean up but you're right, the 45 minutes or so it would take me to turn out a couple sheets normally wouldn't be a problem, but I was one sore girl yesterday having sprinted close to a mile of the southbound I-5 on Saturday chasing a northbound chihuahua (not my dog, I was just a passerby). I am NOT a runner and my shoes were all wrong, so I could hardly walk yesterday morning--having to make my own pasta as just the amount of extra work that would have killed the whole project. Easier to hop over the border to a Canadian store that carries good fresh pasta sheets.

Christina--love the mushroom idea. I've made mushroom lasagnas before, actually, but to do another with this method (all that besciamella!) sounds heavenly.

Celia--yes, lots of milk. But as you can see from the picture it disappears, absorbed by the pasta. But it leaves behind a lot of flavor.

Maria--my husband doesn't like that thick ricotta layer either (or so he announced Sunday night, this was the first I'd heard of it). This, he loved. So much so that he came home for lunch today for another helping.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:04 pm

Jenise wrote:This, he loved. So much so that he came home for lunch today for another helping.

Man. It was that good, eh ? I'll have to try it.. :wink:
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:32 pm

celia wrote:
Jenise wrote:This, he loved. So much so that he came home for lunch today for another helping.

Yeah, I'd like to claim that it was my feminine wiles, but I know the truth: it was the leftovers!
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:48 am

Jenise wrote:
celia wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to claim that it was my feminine wiles, but I know the truth: it was the leftovers!

Ha ! I'll bet he came home to see his gorgeous wife, and then said, "Do you have any of that lasagna left ?"

:wink:

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:52 pm

That looks amazing. I'm with you guys who are not really fans of "traditional" red sauce/ricotta lasagne. I will definitely try this. Up until seeing your post, Jenise, my favorite lasagne was from Epicurious. Red Pepper, Sausage, Porcini Bechemel. I always have to stop myself from eating the bechemel like soup.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:23 pm

Carrie L. wrote: I always have to stop myself from eating the bechemel like soup.

Thank goodness I am not the only one who is inclined to that behavior! :oops:
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:22 pm

Am I the oddball who REALLY, REALLY likes the red sauce? Lasagna just ain't lasagna without it, although this thread has me tempted to try a "white" version.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:05 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:Am I the oddball

Yes. Yes, you are. 8)

But not about the lasagna. I like both versions.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:44 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:Am I the oddball who REALLY, REALLY likes the red sauce? Lasagna just ain't lasagna without it, although this thread has me tempted to try a "white" version.

Nope! I love it. But this version does have a sophistication that no red verswion I've ever had does.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:36 am

Great recipe, Jenise! I really want to try this one. The picture put it over the top for me. Yum!

One thing about the ragu. Something I learned from reading Marcella Hazan is to add the milk first, before the wine and tomato, and slowly simmer that until the liquid is pretty much gone, then add the acids. She claims it helps temper the acids. I've noticed that the sauce does taste more creamy.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:15 pm

Now that's lasagna ... very close to how I make it. Since I never make detailed notes, the exact ingredients are always slightly different but the flavor and texture is always very close.

Sometimes if I need a touch more acid, I make a simple tomato sauce and mix a bit of the bechamel into it. Then put a very thin layer on the plate and set the lasagna on top.

Jason
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:34 pm

This has been stuck in the back of my mind since I first read the recipe you refer to in Gourmet magazine but, I have yet to make it... it seems quite ambitious but sure sounds great. It is another Batali recipe if, indeed, it is his original.

Your post sent me to the overstuffed magazine rack and your recipe is very true to the published version which is prefaced with this text:

"Refined and gorgeous, this elegant lasagne is simply the best we've ever had. The pasta is whisper-thin and flecked with spinach, the ragu is rich and understated, and a silky layer of besciamella (Italian for "white sauce") melds the two for an ethereal eating experience."

Gotta make this!!!
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:41 am

Jenise,

I started the sauce for this today...it is going to be our starter course for tomorrow's dinner. I will let you know how it goes!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:11 am

Fred Sipe wrote:This has been stuck in the back of my mind since I first read the recipe you refer to in Gourmet magazine but, I have yet to make it... it seems quite ambitious but sure sounds great. It is another Batali recipe if, indeed, it is his original.

Your post sent me to the overstuffed magazine rack and your recipe is very true to the published version which is prefaced with this text:

"Refined and gorgeous, this elegant lasagne is simply the best we've ever had. The pasta is whisper-thin and flecked with spinach, the ragu is rich and understated, and a silky layer of besciamella (Italian for "white sauce") melds the two for an ethereal eating experience."

Gotta make this!!!

Was it Mario's own recipe? I remembered that the article had to do with a long trip through Italy by him, key staffers and the food writer, but not that it was his recipe--I'd have attributed it if I'd understood who to thank. :) Their preface is spot-on. "Refined...gorgeous...silky...ethereal"--yes that's exactly what we experienced!
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:26 am

Jenise,

I made this yesterday and it came out fabulous! My husband thought it was very good as well. His only negative comment was that he would have preferred it to be more tomato based :roll: . I said you don't even like lasagna because of the ricotta cheese. He said all the lasagna he's had in England is tomatoey, with pasta noodles and stringy cheese, but no ricotta, and that's how he likes it. Sheesh! I thought the tomato might be an issue, so I even added a whole can of tomato paste rather than half. Maybe next time I will put a layer of marinara on top instead of the bechemel to give him the illusion of a tomato based lasagna :) . Anyway, *I* thought it was amazing and even decided to forego a helping of mashed potatoes with the lamb in favor of another large piece of lasagna :mrgreen: . The other thing, besides how great it tasted, was the fact that it cut and presented beautifully on the plate. Normally, my lasagna is a mess after it's been cut and plated. Not this lasagna...it looked like a perfect meat napolean!
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:59 am

Maria Samms wrote: The other thing, besides how great it tasted, was the fact that it cut and presented beautifully on the plate. Normally, my lasagna is a mess after it's been cut and plated. Not this lasagna...it looked like a perfect meat napolean!

Maria, I've solved the "soupy" lasagna problem. Assemble your lasagna the day before, but don't cook it. Give it a chance to set up. Then, bake it early the day you want to serve it, remove it from the oven and just keep it out on a counter, covered with foil. Finally, an hour or so before service, pop it back in the oven and get it up to serving temp. Your lasagna will hold together beautifully, cut cleanly, and the filling won't run.

Of course, since your hubby doesn't like ricotta filled lasagna, it might be a moot point. Unless you ever cook for me.......... :wink:
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
Next