Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

parmigiano reggiano

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

parmigiano reggiano

by Bob Henrick » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:57 pm

For a lot of years I have been buying a big hunk of parmigiano reggiano to grate wherever I use parmigiana. I usually get it at Sam's club, and even there it is over $10 per pound. This chunk is aged 2 years, and is pretty well mottled with the little specks of white which I understand is butterfat that sort of comes to the outer side as the cheese ages. So, My question is, is a 2 year aged parmigiana better than a 1 year or 18 month or where does one draw a line and say beyond here it doesn't matter.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: parmigiano reggiano

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:56 pm

Different. The older it is, the sharper and dryer. Good for some things, da troppo for others.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:05 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Different. The older it is, the sharper and dryer. Good for some things, da troppo for others.

But for basic grating for "on the plate use" the age is better? This is probably 85% of what I use it for.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:16 pm

Last week I saw some 6-year old :shock: parmesan from Australia. Didn't buy any, but sure thought about it! I'd say 2-year old PR should be fine.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:18 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:Different. The older it is, the sharper and dryer. Good for some things, da troppo for others.

But for basic grating for "on the plate use" the age is better? This is probably 85% of what I use it for.

Not necessarily "better" because it depends upon one's taste. While it is not PR, I like well aged Manchego, but I have a friend that much prefers the younger Manchego. Like Stuart said, it is just "different".

In general, how satisfied have you been with the cheese from Sam's Club? I've never tried the cheese they sell.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:55 am

Dave R wrote:Not necessarily "better" because it depends upon one's taste. While it is not PR, I like well aged Manchego, but I have a friend that much prefers the younger Manchego. Like Stuart said, it is just "different".

In general, how satisfied have you been with the cheese from Sam's Club? I've never tried the cheese they sell.

David, I have been eating the Sam's Club parmesan cheese for a few years now and am very well satisfied with the flavor of it. Of course I haven't done a taste-off between different parmigiano either. I think I have sampled some parmesan like cheese from Argentina that wasn't bad too. I have noticed that in the regular grocery store deli sections, the parm is less than two years old, and in some cases only 6 months. Manchego is one of my favorite cheeses in the whole world, and I don't turn up my nose at either aged Viejo, curado, or fresco. .
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:44 pm

Is it the older or younger stuff that smells like fresh barf when it's cooked? I've perpetually had that problem with PR and it's what's kept me away from the real stuff and using the fake stuff from the green can (it may be tasteless, but at least it doesn't smell like barf).

I'm eager to be educated on real Parigiano Reggiano, but I'm becoming gun-shy.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:55 am

Paul Winalski wrote:Is it the older or younger stuff that smells like fresh barf when it's cooked? I've perpetually had that problem with PR and it's what's kept me away from the real stuff and using the fake stuff from the green can (it may be tasteless, but at least it doesn't smell like barf).

I'm eager to be educated on real Parigiano Reggiano, but I'm becoming gun-shy.

-Paul W.

Paul, do you like other similar cheese? I've never had parmesan that smelled like barf, so I can't relate to your question. I buy the aged stuff, so I don't know if a fresher rind would smell that way or not. I made a pot of minestrone this past weekend, and put in a mid sized chunk of parm rind, smelled wonderful to me. Someday I need to find some of the really old stuff to try.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:09 pm

I always thought it was the reverse, Paul. I thought the stuff in cans reeked because it was basically off from being stored unrefrigerated, whereas the fresh stuff smells great. Just my opinion and my nose, though.

Bob, we go through a lot of parmesan - we buy it pre-grated from the fridge section of the deli (they grate it fresh every morning) and sprinkle it on pasta or use it in sauces. The reggiano is expensive, and the Italians I know would die if they knew people used it on pasta ! :lol: We usually get the grana padano parmesan, or sometimes we'll buy pecorino - love that.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:14 pm

Celia, so what do the Italians use instead of Parmesan on pasta? And what do they use Parmesan on?
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:25 pm

Karen, they use parmesan, just not the expensive reggiano (which is the aged, super-deluxe stuff). The Grana Padano is a cheaper parmesan, aged only for a couple of years, from memory. It's still Italian made.

This from the Food Safari website :

Parmesan – 'the King of cheeses'.

* Parmiggiano Reggiano is the Grandfather of the parmesan family, having been matured for approx 4 years. It has crystals throughout the cheese that melt in your mouth releasing its flavour. It is best served after a meal with fruit and wine.
* Grana Padano – is the baby as it has been matured for only 18 months. It is grated and sprinkled over pasta as the Reggiano is considered too special and expensive for this. It lifts the flavour of pasta dishes and is the tomato sauce to a meat pie.

The "tomato sauce to the meat pie" reference is very Australian ! :lol:
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:41 am

I actually prefer Romano grated on my Italian dishes.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jim Hickman

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:20 pm

Jefferson City, Missouri

by Jim Hickman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:05 am

I agree, Howie. My family and I prefer Romano as our grating cheese. I actually did a taste taste on my family and they picked a domestice Romano over an imported Romano and a Parm. I should state the parm was not Parmigiano Reggiano, which I do use when hi-lighting the cheese as opposed to a flavor addition.

Jim
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:53 pm

This thread has taken a 90 degree turn and I apologize if I am repeating previously tread ground but there are dishes that call for Romano , dishes that demand Parm , dishes that call for both , dishes where it does not matter.
I like both , use both depending on the taste.
For example --Cacio e pepe ?? Only possible with Pecorino Romano. It's a quickie in our house - spaghetti dressed only with very good grated Pecorino and lots of freshly ground Tellicherry Bold.
Asparagus risotto ?? can't do it unless Parm is good.
Getting back to the original question - age and season do make a difference but not sure if I can tell a 6 mo difference. If I were buying for a tasting I would spring for the oldest I could find.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:04 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:This thread has taken a 90 degree turn and I apologize if I am repeating previously tread ground but there are dishes that call for Romano , dishes that demand Parm , dishes that call for both , dishes where it does not matter.
I like both , use both depending on the taste.
For example --Cacio e pepe ?? Only possible with Pecorino Romano. It's a quickie in our house - spaghetti dressed only with very good grated Pecorino and lots of freshly ground Tellicherry Bold.
Asparagus risotto ?? can't do it unless Parm is good.
Getting back to the original question - age and season do make a difference but not sure if I can tell a 6 mo difference. If I were buying for a tasting I would spring for the oldest I could find.

Thank you Cristina, I think you have pretty much nailed it. But, I can get the 2 year old stuff for $`10.95lb, and I can get the 18 month old stuff for $14.99 of course at different stores.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:00 pm

I was in the Italian cheese shop this morning (buying chevre to try out Jenise's pea recipe), and asked some questions. Romano is from the Pecorino family, and they're all made with sheep's milk. Grana Padano Parmesan and Reggiano Parmesan are both cow's milk cheeses. I prefer the pecorino cheeses, but my tribe like the parmesans.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:44 pm

I'd go for the older - especially for eating as a table cheese and using as a finishing condiment . Heck, at that price use it for everything. Wow ! That is the best deal I've heard of since the euro has gotten so strong.
My favorite Parm heavy dish is Gnocchi a la Romana - I use at least 1 cup grated and would make it more often with PR at that price.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:17 pm

I use them all (except the green can stuff), although not necessarily often.

I'm of the opinion that all cheese have their place (well, most cheeses).

But, for whatever reason, Parmigiano-Reggiano is not in my core rotation of cheeses. I probably buy pecorino romano three or four times as often. One explanation is that I often find PR to be too sweet for what I want. But, I still love it..