Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Working with a Great

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Working with a Great

by Robert J. » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:50 pm

Last night I had the great pleasure to work with Chef Roland Mesnier. Back in 1976 he was one of the premier hotel pastry chefs in the country. He then interviewed for the position of pastry chef at the White House. The Carters immediately gave him the job and he held the position for 26 years (Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II) before retiring. He is one of the nicest and most talented chefs with whom I have had the opportunity to work. The evening was truly an honor. We made:

Mini Pizza on Brioche with Prosciutto
Orange Creme Brulee with Mixed Berry Scones
Lemon/Blueberry Madeleins with Almond Macaroons and Lemon Cream.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Working with a Great

by Jenise » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:28 pm

We're all just green with envy over your job. You not only get to cook for a living, you get exposed to a constant parade of talented people to learn from and be inspired by, hands on. What a career Chef Roland had! Did he spill any dirt?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:42 pm

No, he did not spill any dirt. He was very professional and spoke highly of all. He said that he never cooked the same dessert twice in 26 years! He also said that there was never any time for chit-chat ("How about that game last night?", etc.); he and his assistant only ever spoke of work and how to improve what they were doing. Honestly, it sounded like a bitch of a job.

So if you are all green with envy, here are a few other names I have gotten to work with lately:

Nick Malgieri
Guiliano Hazan
Peter Rheinhardt
Darren McGrady (former chef to the Royal Family and personal chef of Princess Dianna)
David Hirsch (Moosewood Restaurant).

It is not always easy but it is nice to get to work alongside these people. And I get personally autographed cook books, too!

rwj
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:36 pm

WOW! So glad for you. My own cooking skill isn't anywhere near where I'd ever aspire to cook alongside a great chef. Nothing more to say.

-Paul W.