Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The Tater Tot Confessional

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The Tater Tot Confessional

by Jenise » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:39 pm

In another thread, Mike Filigenzi hilariously added this fine print footnote to a description of a dinner he made:

And tater tots. Hey, I said I was trying to clear out the freezer!!.

Mike's post cracked me up because guess what I cooked last weekend? Tater Tots. It was an evening I call "Dinner and a Movie" wherein I choose a movie ahead of time and custom-design a meal we eat while watching. In this case, the film was a 1995 indie film called "Color of a Brisk and Leaping Day" about a young Chinese-American train freak who bought the Yosemite Valley Rail Road in the years immediately following WWII. Why Tater Tots? Because when I was a child, we vacationed in Yosemite every summer. One year, the people in the next cabin had to leave early and gifted us all their unopened food, one of which was a bag of Tater Tots. The four of us kids didn't even know Tater Tots existed prior to that day thanks to our Health Nazi mother, and of course we all fell immediately in love. Greasy? Salty? Questionable nourishment? Our favorite things! With the Tater Tots I served chuck blade steaks marinated in mustard and worcestershire sauce, another Yosemite food because sometimes that was the only cut available at the village market. Of course, Bob didn't have any of this to relate to, but Tater Tots must take him somewhere too because when he saw the generous pile I had poured onto the baking sheet, he shook his head and predicted, "Not enough Tots."

Turns out neither of us had had them in over 20 years with the exception of one morning last August, when Tater Tots was one of the offerings on the English side of the breakfast buffet on our boat on China's Yangtze River. It was at the point of the cruise where most of us believed we knew what was in each chafing dish and no longer looked for or expected anything new, so everybody kind of ignored this one dish, or the cooks made these belatedly to replace something they'd run out of, we weren't sure which, until some guy named Rick from Utah showed up at our table with a plate piled high with Tots. "Tater Tots! Tater Tots!", we all exclaimed and dashed back to the buffet. An audible ripple of excited chatter criss-crossed the dining room as word got out, "Tater Tots! Tater Tots!" Tables emptied and a huge queue formed behind that dish as people, most like me already done with breakfast, got back in line to indulge in this food that, practically speaking, any of us could have at home any time. It's just that most of us don't. And we were on vacation.

Any other fans?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Re: The Tater Tot Confessional

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:28 pm

Yes, love 'em. Not something we have very often, though. The serving size is what about 8-9 tots. I'm with Bob, that's just not 'nuff.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:05 pm

Adore them. Never buy them though, because just like any container of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia, they only seem to be sold in single serving bags here! :oops:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:18 pm

I loved them in high school and my mother used to make fun of me.

I don't think I've had them since then.
no avatar
User

BMcKenney

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:37 pm

Calgary

by BMcKenney » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:29 pm

I can't believe the timing of this thread. Over the last little while I've been focusing a lot more on my beloved rhone wines and meals. And I've had to eat some meals either by myself or with just one of the kids instead of the full crew. So I have had free reign to cook whatever I wanted to go with a glass but I didn't want to spend that much effort. I ultimately always, well usually, go with a good steak and tater tots. Steak because it's so good with any Rhone and it's simple and effortless. And tater tots because they are easy, better than fries, and I actually find they go great with a steak and a red wine. They have a fairly simple flavour to them that doesn't get in the way of the wine or the steak (my favourite 1+1=3 combo), they soak up juices just so, and some other reasons that I just can not explain. But I have to say this trio is like being in heaven. I have had some good but not totally excellent QPR CdRs that taste like a trophy wine when I indulge in tater tots and a rib eye. And I was honestly thinking of posting about tater tots a couple of weeks ago but decided even if I tried to make a joke out of it, it was just too risky :-)

Bryan
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:13 am

Well, I guess I've already done my confession. :D I do like the little salty greasy things, and I think Bryan hit on a big part of their appeal. They're far easier and less messy than making your own french fries, quicker than roasted or baked, and they're better in terms of flavor and texture than any pre-made fries I've had. As potato-based convenience foods go, they're really not too bad.

We don't eat them often, but once in a while on a weekday, they hit the spot. They were very tasty when used to mop up the lemon cream pan sauce that I made from the chicken drippings (as reported in the previous thread).
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:52 am

Tater Tots -- Not my thing! :? I don't consider them a yuk, but I don't like the grainy texture of the obviously parboiled, grated knobs falling apart in my mouth. The salt and the crunch I like -- but I can get that hit in many more pleasurable combinations.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:59 am

Over here in Oz they're called "potato gems", and my kids love them. Having said that, they never get them, I think they're evil ! :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:29 am

Wow, finally a junk food discussion where I have no experience and nothing to say! I think I'll just sit back and enjoy this.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:06 pm

Tater Tots - great thread because I am picking up a 5-year old granddaughter today, who is a fussy eater. I have been stewing over what to have for her to eat. I am picking up a grilled chicken on the way home today from a local grocer near here and tater tots will be perfect. I already have a carrot dish prepared and a green salad, both of which she will eat.
no avatar
User

BMcKenney

Rank

Ultra geek

Calgary

by BMcKenney » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:52 pm

In honour of this thread, and because its just me and my meat and potatoes 10 year old son eating at home tonight we're going to have tater tots and burgers. And I'm going to have a bottle of Charbonnière Vacqueyras as well. It may sound repulsive to some, but i know it's going to he awesome :-)

I meant to mention this in my first post in this thread - for those that don't like frozen, processed potato product there is another, better, cleaner living way to try tater tots. I actually scoped this out a couple of weeks ago, but haven't tried it yet. Epicurious actually has a Bon Appétit tater tot recipe.... with truffles at that. Sounds to good to be true.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/237086

And google returns hits on "tater tot recipe" as well.

Bryan
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:53 pm

BMcKenney wrote:Epicurious actually has a Bon Appétit tater tot recipe.... with truffles at that. Sounds to good to be true.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/237086

Bryan

Stuart, I think he just found you a tater tot recipe!

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:03 pm

celia wrote:Over here in Oz they're called "potato gems", and my kids love them. Having said that, they never get them, I think they're evil ! :)

You're a health nazi!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:06 pm

Mike, when they're back in season, let's plan on making this.

BTW, my first choice for a wine match (based on extensive onion rings experience) would be white Hermitage.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Mike, when they're back in season, let's plan on making this.

BTW, my first choice for a wine match (based on extensive onion rings experience) would be white Hermitage.

What a cool recipe. I'll post it separately for archival purposes.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:57 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Mike, when they're back in season, let's plan on making this.

You're on!

They do sound good, don't they?

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:59 pm

God help me, yes, they do.
no avatar
User

BMcKenney

Rank

Ultra geek

Calgary

by BMcKenney » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:32 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:BTW, my first choice for a wine match (based on extensive onion rings experience) would be white Hermitage.

Even with a steak on the plate?

Bryan
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:35 pm

BMcKenney wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:BTW, my first choice for a wine match (based on extensive onion rings experience) would be white Hermitage.

Even with a steak on the plate?

Bryan

No steak--Stuart's a vegetarian!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:45 pm

Wife #2 (a devoted carnivore) always insisted that steak was best with white Burg. As Jenise says, I wouldn't know personally. But I have done wine-matching to all sorts of junk foods and definitely have found some winning combos.

The truffled Tots might do better with an elegant red like a non-spoofulated Cote-Rotie. But potato, grease, and salt points me to white Hermie. Or white St-Joe or Crozes.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:54 pm

I love em'. But never cook them at home. If I stop at burger joint once in awhile and they have them on the menu..then I'll eat em. But thats..what?...twice a year?

But now...see what you've done. I'm baching it this weekend and the thought of TT's sizzlin' in a pan of oil??...rats, may have to go to the store...

Richard
no avatar
User

BMcKenney

Rank

Ultra geek

Calgary

by BMcKenney » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:47 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Wife #2 (a devoted carnivore) always insisted that steak was best with white Burg. As Jenise says, I wouldn't know personally.

Interesting. I'll have to try a white wine/red meat pairing. I've certainly done the white meat/red wine thing before. White Rhones are pretty rare around here. Anyway, I'm going to try that tot recipe pretty soon and I'll just use the truffle oil.

Bryan
no avatar
User

Bill Cyrus

Rank

Cellar rat

Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:17 pm

by Bill Cyrus » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:22 pm

Having them on the side with some corned beef hash and fresh orange makes me a very happy guy on the morning.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:12 pm

I love love love tater tots! I like to eat them with Corn Dogs with a big puddle of mustard and ketchup mixed together on the side.

Maybe I'll experiment with making some from scratch. Hmmm....

rwj
Next