Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Post Your Food Photos !

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Hower

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Post Your Food Photos !

by Bob Hower » Mon May 31, 2010 9:39 pm

My memorial day pie - fresh cherries from the farmers' market, rhubarb from the same, frozen raspberries. mmmmmmm.
cherry2.jpg

cherry3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:36 pm

Bob--that's some bodacious pie!!

And Shaking Beef is definitely the next dish I'm going to be cooking.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:54 pm

Bob, you are ready to open your own bakery. That's magnificent!

Paul, explain shaking beef to me. It's so famous that nothing could have dissuaded me from ordering it upon my first visit to Charles Phan's Slanted Door, but I was actually fairly disappointed with it. Or at least, I liked everything else on the table better--it did not amaze, where such simple things as sauteed spinach did.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:18 pm

Last weekend I had planned some French bistro style meal where white asparagus was going to be featured for our Saturday dinner if my fresh morel connection came through. But it didn't, and a trip to Costco resulted in my owning a lovely piece of fresh wild ahi, so the menu turned Asian (is it now un-PC to say 'oriental'?). I actually started out thinking Hawaiian, but I was being pulled in different directions by 1) the aforementioned white asparagus, I really really wanted to eat that) and 2) Noel Ermitano's post about the lunch in Hong Kong--specifically, fried rice made with fat chewy kernels of Calrose. Oh, and I had a bag of tiny bok choys purchased in Vancouver the week before for a meal that got pre-empted numerous times that I wanted to finally get some good use out of.

But how to include that asparagus? The problem was solved, where so many are, standing in the pantry staring at the shelves where a jar of bamboo shoots pickled in hot chili oil called out to me. That became, with but the addition of some white wine vinegar, the basis for a vinaigrette in which the cooked and drained asparagus spent the afternoon and were served as a room temperature Asian salad with some wild watercress. The result was sensational! It was my favorite dish on the table. Also served were seared ahi chunks in ponzu sauce, bok choy and shitake mushrooms with ginger and oyster sauce and, of course, the fried rice.

My second favorite thing might be what happened to the leftovers at lunch the next day. All larger than a rice kernel were diced and combined with diced avocado, finely shredded cabbage and daikon radish sprouts, plus extra vinegar, soy sauce and chili oil, into an Asian-style chopped salad. No picture of that, but here's the asparagus:

IMG_0456.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Smoky Jack, Gruyere, Prosciutto de Parma Quesadilla

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:06 pm

Yummy combo of Smoky Jack Cheese, Gruyere, and prosciutto, brought to a nice golden color and bubbling cheese....with cherries for breakfast.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:12 pm

Bob, I don't think I've seen a prettier cherry pie. Just beautiful!
Jenise, you are so creative with pantry staples...no wonder you don't have condiment creep! By the way, that is a beautiful plate, I saw it before and meant to ask you about it. Is it stoneware? Does it have a name?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:17 pm

Three course scallop dinner:

IMG_0479.JPG

This dish was inspired by a description of a dish made by Betty Lu Kessler for scallops in a sun-dried tomato sauce. However, I ended up with thermidor on the brain so in addition to the dried tomatoes I added sauteed crimini mushrooms and brandy in place of the perquisite sherry (as I don't have any sherry on hand at the moment). Spooned over two raw halved scallops and then topped with panko and baked at 400 F for about ten minutes. Bob said, "This is so good, I could cry." I missed the sherry aspect, however, so as good as the inspiration and the execution were, I do think I could make this even better. Served with a Spanish rose. (Bad photo, btw, I had just wiped down the granite beneath the plate, and the reflection was so intense it obscured the shot--I'm so sad, it was much more beautiful than it appears.

IMG_0481.JPG

My own creation and my favorite of the three courses--the only one of the three, however good the others were, that was IMO the dish that was flawless. PERFECT. Served with a mild California chardonnay.

IMG_0484.JPG

From a Daniel Boulud recipe that has taunted me for some time. His version had actual slices of black truffle between the scallop slices. Lacking same, I make a shitake duxelles and seasoned it with white truffle oil and salt. Very very tasty, but third in line for me behind the other two dishes. Served with a Brian Loring pinot noir.
Previous