Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Post Your Food Photos !

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Post Your Food Photos !

by Jenise » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:11 am

Bill Spohn wrote:I rarely take time between finishing a dish and diving into it to snap a pic.

Here's one to tantalize Jenise - think France, Jenise, think afternoon snack!

DROOL! DROOL!

You know what, when I was like 10 years old and would go to the corner grocery store with some other girls and we'd all have a quarter to spend? They'd get Cokes and candy bars, and I'd buy orange and few slices of salami, or a pickle, from the butcher. Charcuterie has always been my idea of a splurge. Can't wait.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:11 pm

Great bowl of chili with quesadillas on a blistery night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

by Jacques Levy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:38 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jenise wrote: And Jacques, those "domino potatoes"--how'd you make those?

In Chef on Fire, too, I think.

Sorry guys, senior moment, I missed the question on this thread. Recipe is from

Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way
~ Francis Mallmann
Francis Mallmann and Peter Kaminsky

Basically, peel Idaho potatoes,
cut into a brick
mandoline, try not to slice knuckle.
arrange in buttered bakeware
add clarified butter, coarse salt and and thyme
hot oven

Oh, and Jenise, the dishes and bakeware are from Villeroy and Boch
Best Regards

Jacques
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:51 pm

Nice to see this old thread still has some life in it! Great photos!

Here's my attempt at fig newtons:

Recipe from the guys at Real Food Has Curves.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:08 pm

celia wrote:Nice to see this old thread still has some life in it! Great photos!

Here's my attempt at fig newtons:

Recipe from the guys at Real Food Has Curves.

Boy are those pretty. Celia, how do you light your shots? Everything always looks so great.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:38 pm

Thanks so much, Jenise - I'm pretty fussy about the light in my pics, so it's wonderful when someone notices!

Natural light wherever possible - I take most of the shots during the day in my kitchen which has a skylight overhead. I also white balance (I have a function on my camera) before every photo. Sometimes the shots need a longer exposure that I can hand-hold since I'm not using a flash, so I balance the camera on something - usually a milk jug - to hold it still for the extended time. I keep thinking it would be lovely to have a light box or some movable lights, but I can't see myself setting it up before every shot!
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:07 pm

celia wrote:Thanks so much, Jenise - I'm pretty fussy about the light in my pics, so it's wonderful when someone notices!

Natural light wherever possible - I take most of the shots during the day in my kitchen which has a skylight overhead. I also white balance (I have a function on my camera) before every photo. Sometimes the shots need a longer exposure that I can hand-hold since I'm not using a flash, so I balance the camera on something - usually a milk jug - to hold it still for the extended time. I keep thinking it would be lovely to have a light box or some movable lights, but I can't see myself setting it up before every shot!

There we are, natural light. That's the answer. Your shots are taken of what you make in daytime. Most of my shots are of things I make for dinner, and therefore artificially lit. I've taken a few shots with my new Canon but haven't uploaded it yet--in fact, irritatingly, I found after about 40 shots, if that, that I was out of space on the memory card. THAT won't do! It's probably just going to sit in a corner until I get around to buying a bigger card.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:01 pm

Jenise wrote:
There we are, natural light. That's the answer. Your shots are taken of what you make in daytime. Most of my shots are of things I make for dinner, and therefore artificially lit. I've taken a few shots with my new Canon but haven't uploaded it yet--in fact, irritatingly, I found after about 40 shots, if that, that I was out of space on the memory card. THAT won't do! It's probably just going to sit in a corner until I get around to buying a bigger card.

Jenise, when I take night time shots, I white balance first (to adjust for the blue or yellow cast from the fluoro lights), then take a shot without a flash, with the camera propped on something to counter any handshake from the long exposure. Then if necessary, you can increase the brightness/contrast afterwards. Here's a photo taken at dinner time under artificial lights..

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:35 pm

Jewish apple cake, although I don't no why it's Jewish....there's nothing Kosher about the recipe. My mother in law always made this cake for my wife's birthday. She passed away several years ago so I carry on the tradition. Eileen's in Florida this weekend to return Sunday after 5PM and her birthday was last Thursday while she was away. She will be surprised when she arrives home greeted by this cake tomorrow. I can only hope I did her mother's recipe justice.

Drew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:38 pm

Drew, Hi...

I don't know why its Jewish either but as a Jew I must say that it looks delicious!!!!

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:57 am

I made this "duckling duck" on its potato nest with morel sauce which was a must have on our table for dinner.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Yesterday I made chocolate sablés (French butter cookies) for the first time - and I'm a bit peeved with myself for waiting so long! These are crumbly and chewy at the same time, but the exterior coating of crystal sugar gives them crackliness as well. Sablé apparently means "sand" and it's a very appropriate name - they are like sand cookies...

They're my new favourite cookie, and that says a lot, because we make a lot of cookies! :)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:33 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Great bowl of chili with quesadillas on a blistery night.

That's not chili.
rwj
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:25 pm

Robert J. wrote:

That's not chili.
rwj

That's not polite.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:37 pm

A frittata, my first ever, made with chicken and potato. Good but not great, it needs some work. Worthwhile, I'll try it again.

DSCF0531.JPG
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Celia wrote:
Robert J. wrote:

That's not chili.
rwj

That's not polite.

Remember, he's a Texan. That's just the way they are about chili. :lol:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:38 pm

Celia wrote:
Robert J. wrote:

That's not chili.
rwj

That's not polite.

Oh, so NOW you want to reply to one of my posts :roll: Well, that's not polite, either :P

rwj
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:42 pm

Most of your posts have animal carcasses! I never know what to say... :wink:

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:57 pm

How about, "Ooohhh, yummy!"? :wink:
rwj
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Sat May 01, 2010 10:01 am

Veal loin coated with grated long pepper, cooked "Sous Vide" with white asparagus baked in puff pastry on a light brown fennel-cream sauce. The wine with the dish was a 2003 San Sebastiano Barbera d'Alba.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat May 01, 2010 12:49 pm

Beautiful dish, Heinz.
Tried my hand at a Salmon and Clams Tagine last night. First time I used the preserved lemons I put up about six months ago. Interesting flavors (in a good way). I did learn that you have to use preserved lemons sparingly! But, I really like what they do to an African inspired tomato sauce. I'll do it again with a few changes. Can't wait to make the traditional chicken tagine. (Pictures are a little disappointing -- need to figure out what's going on with camera.)

Sliced Preserved Lemons.jpg

sliced fennel.jpg

Salmon with Charmoula.jpg

Salmon and Clams Tagine.jpg
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Mon May 03, 2010 1:26 pm

Here's the nettle soup I wrote about in a separate thread. This is pure spring in a bowl.

Nässelsoppa.jpg

Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon May 03, 2010 1:41 pm

It needs a dollop of creme fraiche for a nose and a curly slice of red pepper for a smile. :)
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Mon May 03, 2010 1:43 pm

I kind of agree and did in fact consider adding at least a smile, but decided to keep to the straight version. :mrgreen:
/A
PreviousNext