Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: The other grilled cheese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: The other grilled cheese

by Jenise » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:16 pm

No, not the sandwich.

Take a big block of provolone about 2 or 3 inches tall and 5 or so inches wide and leave it out in the air or even the refrigerator on a rack for a few hours to form a slick outer skin. Then rub it with olive oil into which minced fresh garlic, parsley and red pepper flakes have been generously added. Then throw on a hot grill for like 35 to 40 seconds a side. It will start to melt but hopefully you'll get some grill marks on there. Once it's marked, put it into a shallow baking dish and shut the lid on the grill for a couple minutes so that the cheese can smoke and start to melt. Serve with chunks of grilled ciabata.

Or so says Napa Valley resident and chef Michael Chiarello. Never done it myself, but it looked GREAT, and I'll be interested in trying it myself next time we do some outdoor entertaining.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: RCP: The other grilled cheese

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:33 pm

Jenise wrote:it looked GREAT

I could eat that. 8)

Actually, it sounds very much like an Argentine dish, provoleta. My fave Argentine eatery here, Palermo Viejo, makes a great one.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:16 pm

that IS a recipe for provelta...I lived in Argentina for awhile and that wa a standard starter at steakhouses and weekend "asados"....and it is ridiculously good. I always had trouble getting it like the restaurant dd - but that forming of the skin is probably the key
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:50 pm

John F wrote:that IS a recipe for provelta...I lived in Argentina for awhile and that wa a standard starter at steakhouses and weekend "asados"....and it is ridiculously good. I always had trouble getting it like the restaurant did - but that forming of the skin is probably the key

I guess I understated my point, John. :D

I think I'll ask Francisco at Palermo Viejo if he'll give away his recipe. It would be interesting to see if there are any variations.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:03 pm

John F wrote:that IS a recipe for provelta...I lived in Argentina for awhile and that wa a standard starter at steakhouses and weekend "asados"....and it is ridiculously good. I always had trouble getting it like the restaurant dd - but that forming of the skin is probably the key

Thinking about the other foods Michael prepared in the same meal--a mixed grill of lamb, sausage and chicken all swabbed in a salsa verde--OF COURSE. I didn't make the association, but that's exactly what he was doing. I'm surprised that he didn't introduce it that way as compared to passing it off as "Napa Style".
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:43 pm

Oh, yes. I've had this and it is wonderful.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:30 pm

I was expecting raclette.

Anyone tried that??

F
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:10 am

A few hundred times, most notably at "The Barfing Cow" in Limony (France).
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:32 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:A few hundred times, most notably at "The Barfing Cow" in Limony (France).

Is that really the name of the place? Bet it sounds better in French.

Anyone know what type of provolone one would use for this? I'm guessing a younger, Italian one rather than aged or domestic but......?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:58 pm

La Vache qui Vomiter?

No, that's not the name, but anyone who has eaten there will instantly recognize what I'm talking about. It's on RN86 (the main drag, such as it is) and has a huge fiberglass cow in front. The little pourers for the salad dressings are ceramic cows with a hole at the mouth. Tilt them, et voila! The dressing comes pouring out of the cow's mouth.

Disconcerting, to say the least.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:17 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:La Vache qui Vomiter?

No, htat's not the name, but anyone who has eaten there will instantly recognize what I'm talking about. It's on RN86 (the main drag, such as it is) and has a huge fiberglass cow in front. The little pourers for the salad dressings are ceramic cows with a hole at the mouth. Tilt them, et voila! The dressing comes pouring out of the cow's mouth.

Disconcerting, to say the least.

So all they need now is to get the things to emit a blurp of methane every now and then....
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:52 pm

Mike, no idea about age, and I'm relatively inexperienced with provolone. But it makes sense that a little age would firm it up, but too much age would make it less meltable, so something in the six months to one year time frame would probably be ideal. But who carries different ages of provolone? Maybe in New York one would have options, but you and I are probably stuck with whatever we find.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:08 pm

Frank Deis wrote:I was expecting raclette.

Anyone tried that??

F

Yep, when I was in Davos, Switzerland.
The place I kinda stayed / worked at put it on once a week for their guests.
The provelta sounds like something you can do without special equipment.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:17 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:
Frank Deis wrote:I was expecting raclette.

Anyone tried that??

F

Yep, when I was in Davos, Switzerland.
The place I kinda stayed / worked at put it on once a week for their guests.
The provelta sounds like something you can do without special equipment.

Yeah. Raclette makes a great indoor, winter meal, where this kind of grilled cheese is the epitome of summer: the first course of meal where a lot of guests are hanging out around the grill where an entire meal is going to eventually be prepared.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:54 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:La Vache qui Vomiter?

The little pourers for the salad dressings are ceramic cows with a hole at the mouth. Tilt them, et voila! The dressing comes pouring out of the cow's mouth.

Yup - the ubiquitous cow creamers perverted to dressing use. La vache qui vomi indeed.