Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sweet Pickle Pepper

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Sweet Pickle Pepper

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:13 pm

Today at the Farmer's Market I bought this plant
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/166846/

I was told it is edible and upon research, I see that it is very sweet, edible, yet called an ornamental plant. One site said, "not suggested for eating". Has anyone had any experience with this plant and why would it be suggested for 'not eating'?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Sweet Pickle Pepper

by Jenise » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:50 pm

"Not recommended for eating."

You know, that kind of thing always depends on who said it. And it's probably the same genius who decided that people won't eat grapes with seeds in them--an opinion based on what the average housewife wants or is willing to put up with. In the case of your peppers, their only crime may be being small.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Sweet Pickle Pepper

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:18 am

C. annuums (of which Sweet Pickle is a non-pungent variety) are the most commonly grown peppers in the world.

From DeWitt's Peppers of the World: "Although edidble, ornamentals are grown primarily for their unusual pod shapes or for their dense and sometimes variegated foliage and colorful fruits. ... The subtle flavor associated with other peppers is missing in most ornamental peppers."